- advertisement -

Lost Sensor, Newly Inserted?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Schleprock, Mar 5, 2009.

1. Schleprock

Schleprock Approved members

We are using the MM CGM and I just inserted a new sensor three hours ago, but for some reason it keeps saying "lost sensor" I haven't even gotten the first calibration in:confused:
    The site did not bleed at all like it usually does and I am wondering if it is supposed to? (not to sound dumb:eek:) but we haven't been at this very long.
    Should I keep trying or pull it and put in a new sensor?

2. mom of four

mom of four Approved members

We haven't been using it very long either, but I find the sensors to be temperamental at best. What I do is turn the sensor off and let it "soak" overnight. When I turn it on again the next day it has always sorted itself out. I have never had a complete dud. Hope this helps.

3. Schleprock

Schleprock Approved members

Thanks for the advice. I left it in, tried again this morning and it is working good so far!

4. MLH

MLH Approved members

Lost/Bad Sensor

My daughter has been using the sensor for 2 years now. At the beginning I never had this problem and now I have it all the time. It is very frustrating. I have found that if I keep doing "start new sensor" eventually I will get it to work. Sometimes it does take several hours of sitting under the skin to get it working properly.

Someone mentioned bleeding in a previous post. I have had this happen on occassion. The minimed rep told me sometimes too much dried blood on the skin can cause bad sensors. So now when I put in a new sensor I watch it very carefully for a good 5-10 min. If I see blood collecting under the purple plastic I take the edge of a clean tissue and shimmy it under the plastic and soak up any blood that is under there. That seems to help. :)

5. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

We, too, have this happen more than I would like. Here's how we solve it. If I want to start his new sensor Thursday night, for example, I'll insert it Thursday morning. I'll leave the old sensor up and running all day Thursday and let that new one just "soak" in. Then Thursday night, I'll take the old one off, charge the transmitter, snap it on to the new sensor, and we're up and running. I never get any LOST SENSORS or SENSOR ERRORS this way, and I think the sensor is more accurate from the beginning when we do this.