- advertisement -

Loss of prime.....

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by TheTestingMom, Mar 31, 2013.

1. TheTestingMom

TheTestingMom Approved members

My son has been having a LOT of loss of prime alarms on the Ping. I contacted Animas, we trouble shot and they ended up sending him out another pump. Day 3 on the new pump and he is has had at least 3 a day since Friday. 5 today alone!
    Why
    Why
    Why
    Anyone have a clue?

2. scoobydoo

scoobydoo Approved members

Try tightening or loosening the cartridge cap. We had a similar problem, and if I recall correctly our cap wasn't tightened sufficiently. It shouldn't be tightened too much however as you run the risk of ruining the watertight treads.
    Give it a try.....

3. TheTestingMom

TheTestingMom Approved members

Yep, we've kept an eye on the tight/loose of that cap. Nothing seems to work.

4. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

We've had the loss of prime and got a new pump. The fact you got two in a row is unnerving. I'd call again and ask for a brand new, out of the factory one. They will probably say no, but be firm and tell them once is understandable, it happens. Twice is unacceptable and dangerous.

You checked for the loose cap, but did you check around where the cartridge goes in to make sure there are no cracks?

5. Charliesmom

Charliesmom Approved members

Have you tried a new box of cartridges?

6. skimom

skimom Approved members

I agree - try new cartridges, new cartridge cap and new battery cap ...
    Also did you transfer over the old program or reprogram from new? We had a really bad run on failing pumps (ie over ten pump failures ) and they all had the same problem. I am a firm believer that there can be a programming issue and that the pump itself is fine but there is something wrong in the "program"- You might want to start from scratch when putting in the settings rather than downloading it from the past pump...

7. LJM

LJM Approved members

We have had these, very rarely. They seem to come in clusters and almost always we can find it was too much tugging on the tubing (like the pump falls out of pocket) OR when we had the bright idea of trying to re-use the tubing for a bit (quickly decided that was not working for us).

You might try to tape down the tubing and see if this might help the jostling and anything improves. If not, I would be demanding a new one too:)

8. jbmom1b2g

jbmom1b2g Approved members

We have been having a lot of Pump not primed warnings also. Animas told me to change out the cartridge, if it happened again to call and they would send me out a new one. The rep also reminded me right before putting the insulin in the cartridge to move the plunger up and down for a bit. (which I always do). Hasn't happened since Easter but we will see.