- advertisement -

Loosing Weight from skipping insulin doses?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by diabeticgirl101, Feb 12, 2006.

1. diabeticgirl101

diabeticgirl101 Approved members

I heard somewhere that you can loose weight from skipping insulin doses. Is this true? I'd never do it though, or I'd probably be in the hospital. I was just wondering if this was true. Any answers would be appreciated!!!
    Thank you!!!

2. Boo

Boo Approved members

No....

Don't even think about it. If you want to lose weight, do it the right and safe way...with the help of your dietician or nutritionist!!

3. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Loose weight or loose your life?

Yes, you can loose weight by skipping doses. It's called DKA, you'll loose your appetite, loose fluids, become dehydrated and probably slip into a coma. 30 min. a day on a treadmill is a much better option. Whoever you got this info from is sorely misinformed:mad:

4. munchkingirl

munchkingirl Approved members

Excuse me, wendyc, but whoever that person was - was *not* sorely misinformed. Yes, DKA will happen - but you can indeed lose weight from skipping insulin. I, personally, REFUSE to go into detail as to how this happens physically, all the technicalities of it - because that's all one person needs to start doing it. It's a major trigger for those people struggling with weight. - And I challenge anyone else tempted to do this to NOT.

I will personally attest to this. Being in the middle of recovering from an eating disorder of 5 years, I've been hospitalized, near dead, three times, from skipping insulin to lose weight. Several other times, as well, being hospitalized, but not just for insulin - but also anorexia and bulimia. It IS deadly. It WILL kill you if you do it. Everyone else is right - 30 minutes on a treadmill and eating *HEALTHY* is SO much better! Staying healthy, staying in love with your body is a much better alternative than skipping insulin and falling into the rest of an eating disorder and risking death. People don't ever think that it will happen to them - that's what I thought. But they are SO wrong. I would beg anyone who ever thinks of this to spare themselves the pain and misery and physical reprecussions. Spare the risk of death. It's not worth it, no matter what anyone else tries to tell you. It's dangerous, and should never be done.

I don't mean to sound harsh in my response - but I know what this is. And it ALWAYS *Scares* me to hear anything about this. Because its a nightmare and it really could kill you.

Take care of yourself. Be healthy. don't ever go that way.

Beth

Last edited: Feb 12, 2006
  5. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Sorry for upsetting you. What I meant was that if someone is being told that skipping insulin as a potential way to loose weight, then they might have not be totally informed on what the ramifications would be. Working with a doctor, nutritionist and dietician, trainer is the proper way to loose the weight, not by tweeking insulin, or any type of medication.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2006
  6. Jeff

Jeff Founder, CWD

Sadly, insulin omission to lose weight by teenagers (mostly girls) is much more common than people might think. There are some studies out on it, though I don't have the citations handy.

Parents should be very attentive to this, since it can be deadly.

7. munchkingirl

munchkingirl Approved members

Don't worry about it. Actually, I'm sorry, I was having a kinda bad day. I have been dealing with an eating disorder and seeing other people maybe even *thinking* about going that way... ...kinda gets me going. It's hell and no one should go through it.

But, i still stick by what i said. Shouldn't ever be done, or even thought of - by anyone.

8. diabeticgirl101

diabeticgirl101 Approved members

No way

I'd never skip doses to loose weight, cause I know how dangerous that is! I was just wondering if it's true. I think I'm good with my weight, but if I ever thought overwise I'd definatly do the tredmill, not skip doses. I just wanted to know if that was really true. Thanks!

9. Catareta

Catareta Approved members

Well.
    As I am diabetic and trying to lose weight, but feel groggy.... my BM is 550-600 and no reason for it.

Have no ketones either..

Any ideas?

10. maverickmom (Kerri)

maverickmom (Kerri) Approved members

If you skip your insulin, your bgs run high, and you pee out the calories...=weight loss. Simple as that. Not recommended, however! Long term (ie: not just temporary), meaningful weight loss requires 2 things, dietary modification and exercise.

11. JasonJayhawk

JasonJayhawk Approved members

If anyone's interested, I'm selling a piece of paper that has, "How to Lose Weight by Eating Less" written on it.

Any takers? Come on, any takers? I'll donate 100% of the purchases to CWD... come on, any takers? :cwds: