- advertisement -

looks like I am about to be in the 2 CWD boat.

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mommyof5, Feb 9, 2011.

1. mommyof5

mommyof5 Approved members

My Son who is also my youngest is on the path to be diagnosed. He had an a1c of 6.2. Right now we are testing fasting and 2 postprandial bg. He is all over the place. Right now his symptoms are mild, things like, when he eats he gets sleepy and pretty much crashes. He has slept for the whole day on and off. When he is higher like 170 and up he is thirsty and pee's a lot but when he comes down the symptoms go away. his highest bg so far has only been 215 but he hasn't been below 112 since I have been testing. His fasting this morning was 176. His last test was 168 after 30 of about 2 oz of apple juice he then ate 1 piece of ham and said he was going to bed. he is barely eating any carbs though so I don't know what to think. He goes for a ogtt on the 28th. So far they are saying he is impaired but they don't want to admit him too soon, so this is the route they feel most comfortable with. Oh and he had a ton of blood work yesterday which will hopefully come back by the 28th. I was hesitant posting because I have searched to see if anyone else experienced this and I know it can get a little heated. I'm just not sure even how I feel about this. I hate the waiting but I really hope I have to wait forever. So really I guess I just want to know I am not alone. And, if this has happened to anyone and it turned out to be nothing. I have searched for days and my head and heart hurt(and my eyes a little too lol). :cwds:

2. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

I just wanted to say how sorry I am:( And hope it isnt d but if it is diabetes there are several people on here with more then one child with d that will give you loads of support

3. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

well you can't really account for ALL those high numbers, one or two..sure, but not that many. I'm sorry. :(

4. dragonfly

dragonfly Approved members

You know what you will need to do, but it still sucks to think about having to deal with DB with 2 kids.

Good luck!

5. Kaylas mom

Kaylas mom Approved members

Huge hugs, I am so sorry. My 2nd was just dx but his fasting numbers are still good, highest at 142 but mostly they are 90's to 120. Todays was 85, :) His 2hour PP numbers tho get in the upper 200's almost daily. Still no insulin tho.

Just know you have a ton of support here.

6. Judy&Alli

Judy&Alli Approved members

I'm so sorry too. It breaks my heart!

7. PatriciaMidwest

PatriciaMidwest Approved members

I'm so sorry to hear this! I wish there was something more we could do.

8. mommyof5

Thanks guys! Just knowing I have people to talk to makes it a lot easier. No one in my family really understands. I'm sure that a 3 year old will be much different than an almost 15 year old to care for. One thing that stumps me is this mornings fasting number. I washed his hands and did it twice because its mostly been like 120-130's.

9. Kimby

Kimby Approved members

I'm so sorry! I know there are lots of people on here that can help you with managing a little one. I know that has always been a fear of mine. Is your little one accepting the finger pokes okay?

10. mommyof5

He is actually really good with the at home pokes. It was the hospital and doctor poke he didn't like. He cried so hard :( We have done random ones before when he has seen Kaley doing hers. He says "you poka my finger?" Haha.

11. Lee

Lee Approved members

That really just sucks. :mad:

12. Pauji5

Pauji5 Approved members

I'm so sorry. We had our second diagnosis last month. Spencer's numbers sounded like your sons...did they test for antibodies? He had a GGT and was dx'd with a 335 after 2 hours. He's now on 4 units Levimir and correcting over 200. He actually feels much better since starting insulin. If it were me, after you get the blood work back, I'd get the GGT. If he is going to be diagnosed and feels tired and rotten, hopefully starting insulin will help him feel better.

Good luck...I know how stressfull it is.

13. 4MyBoys

4MyBoys Approved members

This happened to us, and turned out to be nothing... at least nothing yet, thankfully. Our oldest son was diagnosed in the ER in 2006. He was put on Lantus/Novolog that night. Our younger two sons were diagnosed with Type 1 by two different endos in 2008 because they had elevated A1Cs 5.7 and 5.8 to 6.2 and 6.5 over the course of nine months. They had (still have) low insulin levels. They are both missing their first stage insulin response. Their fasting BGs are NEVER under 110 (lab and at home), their 2 hour PP have been documented over 200 several times, especially if they eat pizza. They have had Novolog prescribed for them, if their BG gets up to 300 and stays there for over an hour. Thankfully, we have never had to use it, not even close. Their A1Cs came down (Over a six month time period) without treatment (see thyroid treatment below) and they have bounced around between 5.3 and 5.7 for almost two years. Their A1Cs are not what the endo would like to see for non-D kids, but I am thankful for every day they do not need insulin. I do not routinely test them at home anymore, the endo is OK with that as long as they don't have symptoms.
    Now, about the thyroid treatment. The Endo says that their hypothyroidism, discovered in the same blood work as their elevated A1Cs, would not have caused elevated blood sugars and over time an elevated A1C. I can not help but think that it might have since when we treated their thyroids, their A1Cs came down.
    Again, even on thyroid meds, their other labs are off, but their A1Cs are not nearly as high as they were.

For anyone who is planning to jump down my throat about testing them, I was testing them because the Endo said to, with meters and test strips prescribed in their names, paid for by their own insurance.

Anyway, Mommy of 5, I am so sorry you are going through this. It was such a difficult time for us. As I said, for us, it turned out to be nothing... yet. I hope it continues to be nothing, forever! I hope it turns out to be nothing in your family too. -Allison

14. VinceysMom

VinceysMom Approved members

My son was diagnosed very early on. In Aug '09 his A1c was 7.4 and by Dec '09 at dx it was 8.4. Vince did not have any sypmtoms, we caught his by my sister's meter and at his well check visit at ped. He had all the blood work in Aug '09, had the oral gluc tolerance test which came back 150 after 2 hours; they called it "glucose intolerant." Once his numbers went above 200 twice in a row, (Dec '09) he was officially diagnosed. Between Aug 09 and Dec 26 09, we tested him at first obssessively and then only a few days a week a couple times a day (we made ourselves crazy, the waiting is horrible!) He wore a CGM for 3 days and based on those numbers, they did not want to start him on any insulin. Deep down we knew it was coming, we tried to stop it (as tho we could) but it came. (Whenever my daughter says she is thirsty or doesnt feel well, I always think about this...is she next?)

You are definitely not alone... there are a lot of others here with 2 dx or more in their families, some more recent as well.

I'm sorry for your news. I will say an extra prayer for you and your family.

15. semperwife

semperwife Approved members

My daughter was diagnosed Nov 11, 2009 with elevated sugars and put on Januvia. Then we switched endos to have her seen where my son was already being seen. They undiagnosed her, then 6 months later diagnosed her. She was then put back on Metformin 250 mg... then up to 500 mg. Then her pancreas started working correctly so they took her off Metformin completely ( I weaned her off over a 30 day period.) Just had our appointment on the 25th of January and I was going to stand my ground and insist on her being given the metformin again since her blood sugars have been steadily rising. When the blood sugars are fluctuating like that she tends to pack on weight. (Like an 11 point weight gain in 30 days on an 11 year old) They didn't hesitate... her blood sugar was 143 so they said she needed a regulator. Her A1c was only 5.6 but the 3 months before that it was 5.4

We have been told she is having delayed insulin production and release. So her body doesn't seem to get the signal that she is going to eat and starts producing insulin. It seems to wait until her blood sugar is a little elevated 150+ before it starts to produce insulin.

They tell me she is type unknown... she has had a positive antibody. Most of the time they are not present. Right now metformin at 250 mg works best for her if she has a few days where she is lower than 80 I have her skip a dose of metformin for a day or two and she seems to stabilize.

Sometimes I wish the other shoe would drop and then others I am so grateful that she is not insulin dependent because I see what my son goes through.

Brandon was diagnosed at 12 months old and it was sudden... from being perfectly wonderful to being in a coma in 5 days. I am afraid that this will happen with Rhiannon.

16. Kazee6

Kazee6 Approved members

I can totally empathize with what you are currently going through. My two oldest son was diagnosed 5 years ago at age 4 and honestly it was much easier with him than it has been with my other son. He really has no memory of what life was like before diabetes so he isn't as upset about the changes it made. My second son was diagnosed at age 7, a little over a year ago now and has had a harders time adjusting to the changes. My youngest son has been tested and currently carries the antibodies, but has shown minimal symptoms. His A1C is still low so we are hoping it will remain there. Life can get very interesting when you have more than one diabetic, but you get the hang of it and find the best ways for you and your family to manage it. It's heartbreaking when one has it, but I know I felt even worse when my second was diagnosed. The waiting game with the third is hard as well. Just hang in there and know that the people here are an awesome support system!

17. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

So sorry! I know what you are going though. :cwds:

18. 2type1s

2type1s Approved members

I'm sorry, I feel your pain, for sure. Our first dx was traumatic, the second not so bad (Zoe wasn't as sick as Morgan) but there was no doubt she was t1. The emotional part of the second dx was much worse.

19. mommyof5

Yes, they test him for antibodies, celiacs and thyroid. The was one other vial but I'm not sure what that was for. When we did trialnet he was a baby. We haven't went back since. I plan on it for sure this summer. They send us reminders every June but my 9 year old is horrible with things like this so we stopped sine they were negative last time.

20. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

That's because at the doctor's they use harpoons!!! Ask to use your own lancet. Seriously, the buy the cheapest extra biggest lancets they can find. We always use our own.

And I am so sorry you are going through this. I watch my son like a hawk whenever he has to pee more than normal. He's normally a camel so when he has to go suddenly, my heart skips a beat. Good luck to you.