- advertisement -

Looking for vacation nanny (Detroit area, Michigan)

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by jamierb, Dec 7, 2011.

1. jamierb

jamierb Approved members

I have 3 children ages 8 to 18 months old. My 8 yr old has t1 diabetes. She is on a pump now. My husband & I want to start going on a couple vacations alone every year. Anyone know where I can find someone capable of taking care of a t1 diabetes child along with 2 other children for long weekends and week long trips? I have tried a few of the online sitter sites but those people are looking for more regular scheduled jobs or cannot take time off from their other jobs to stay with my kids during week long vacations.

2. TracieandJim

TracieandJim Approved members

3. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

I might work for you. I'm going to send you a PM.

4. Ndiggs

Ndiggs Approved members

Not sure where you are in the area, but there is a nanny company based out of A2 that might cover your needs. When my wife gets home I will see if we still have the info and pm it to you.

5. jamierb

jamierb Approved members

That's not too far. Thanks for your help!

6. JaxDad

JaxDad Approved members

Another resource may be your Endo - in our group the social worker keeps a list of their T1D teens that are interested in sitting for D families.

7. jamierb

jamierb Approved members

I've already checked at the endo office. If I'm going on vacation for a week, I have to leave them with a mature, responsible adult so a teenager won't work. Thanks for the advice:)

8. SarahKelly

SarahKelly Approved members

9. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

SO, what is Michigan like?

10. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Given the broad range of management styles, as well as the degree to which D is individualized, it might be simpler to find a caregiver who you really like and trust and invest the time and possibly the $ to train them on caring for YOUR kid rather than focusing so much on finding someone with prior experience with diabetes.

11. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Someone I know did this. First, she took diabetes out of the picture and thought, do I trust this person to care for my kids for an extended period of time. Then she added diabetes into the mix. Was this person able to manage not only the kids but also diabetes? It took some weeding out, but she was successful. She put feelers out with a lot of people, school nurse, friends, etc. Once she found the right person, she actually sent them to a caregivers workshop given by our endo. IMO, well worth spending the extra $$ to have a person you like/trust.

12. NomadIvy

NomadIvy Approved members

We did this and it works out great. I've also taught her to change an infusion site but not sure if she can pull it off if it's required. She'll call/text for some bolusing questions but is pretty much very secure about caring for K.

13. mandapanda1980

mandapanda1980 Approved members

We have had the same many since pre dx, and continue to use her now, so she has grown with us. It worked out great for us. But for those who didn't already have a nanny, I agree with finding somebody who you can trust/like, and then adding in the big D. If you can find somebody with experience who you can trust, that's great too!

14. jamierb

jamierb Approved members

Unfortunately I don't have a nanny mature enough to take i on the responsibility of 3 kids long term. So I really need to find someone no matter what who is willing to learn.

15. Mouchakkaa

Mouchakkaa Approved members

we were able to go away for a week a couple of years ago. My niece, who was in her first year of nursing school, agreed to watch my kids for us. She came and stayed with us for a week before we left. I had everything written out for her. She watched me for two days and then she was responsible for the care for the next five days with me overseeing her. It worked out great for us. If there is a university near by with a nursing program you can put an ad up there.