- advertisement -

Looking for some pizza advice

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by rutgers1, Nov 1, 2011.

1. rutgers1

rutgers1 Approved members

Matt usually goes high 5-8 hours after eating pizza. He just got his pump this week. Any suggestions to counteract this?

2. TheTestingMom

TheTestingMom Approved members

We use a combo bolus, I haven't quite figured out the duration and percentages. I know there are quite a few threads on this topic and even a YouTube tutorial out there. Hopefully someone with better luck and chime in. Congrats on the pump! It changed our lives!

3. Lize

Lize Approved members

For really high fat meals, we tried the advise given in Think Like A Pancreas. We bolus normal for the meal and when she's done eating we set a temp basal for 6 hours on 160%. It 's trial and error, but this works for us.

4. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Right now, I bolus for 80% up front and then do a 300% temp basal for 5 hours.

5. ROVERT81402

ROVERT81402 Approved members

We do 60%/40% for 3 hours and a 40% basal increase for 4 hours.

6. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

We do 75/50 for 5-6 hours. We also usually require another straight bolus at around hour 4 or so. I wing that - usually 1-2 units.

7. Eric's mom

Eric's mom Approved members

If you go to type1university.com there is a pizza video. We use his method with great success. 30 carbs when starting to eat theN after eating 30 carb combo for two hours then a temp basal 20% for 4 hours. Of course carbs depend on how many pieces. We use this for 2 med pieces. So it's like a 6 hr bolus. We should make it simpler I know but it works great this way.
    His suggestion is 1/3 upfront , 2/3 over 2 hours , temp basal 8 hrs. Carb factor .32

Last edited: Nov 1, 2011
  8. rutgers1

rutgers1 Approved members

Just when I think I understand what is going on..............lol...........

First of all, thank you very much for the responses! Unfortunately, I have some follow-up questions since this is all so new to me.

1) What do you all mean when you say something like: "We do 75/50 for 5-6 hours." ?

2) How about this? "1/3 upfront , 2/3 over 2 hours , temp basal 8 hrs. Carb factor .32"

Can #2 be done with a dual wave? We haven't played with that feature, nor the square bolus, yet.

I guess for a rookie, simply upping the basal for 5 hours would be easiest and better than what we have been doing. Like clockwork, he spikes every time he eats pizza, so we have to do something different.

9. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Oops. Sorry. When I say "75/50 over 5-6 hours" this is what I mean.

Say Jack eats 100 carbs of pizza. I dose him for 75% of the carbs "up front." In this case, that's 75 carbs. So about 10 minutes before he eats, I might dose 25 carbs. When he has seconds, I'll give him another 25. And when he's done, I'll give him another 25.

Then, I actually wait an hour, and start a square wave. I dose for 50% of the total carbs consumed, and I tell the pump to spread that out over 5-6 hours. (The bigger the meal, the longer we have to spread it over.)

You'll notice that for pizza (and other high fat meals) we dose for MORE than 100% of the total carbs consumed. That is because fat in high quantites ALONE raises BG, so we have to dose for some of the fat.

It took me 2 years to figure this out, and even then, it's not perfect, but it's as good as we can get. You should know that Jack is unusual in the quantity of carbs that I have to dose "up front." Most kids are closer to 50-60%. I'd say a good starting point is dosing 60% of the carbs up front, and doing a square wave of 40-50% over 4-5 hours. It's best if you can experiment at lunch on the weekend so you're not up all night, because it won't be perfect at first. Each kid is different in this regard, so it's a lot of trial and error. The best thing you can do is to keep detailed records of the number of carbs eaten, how you dosed for them, and the resulting BGs. It will help you figure out what to change next time.

Good luck! :)

10. MamaLibby

MamaLibby Approved members

We do a combo bolus of 70% up front and 30% an hour later and up her basal by 40% for 3-4 hours. High-fat meals are tricky.

11. Eric's mom

Eric's mom Approved members

If you weight the pizza in grams then multiple by .32 this will give you the number of carbs in the piece.
    If the piece is 30 carbs and you are 1:10 then You need 3 units. 1 unit upfront the 2 units over 2 hours. But you also need a temp basal for the fat in addition to the 3 units. So yes you could do a dual or square bolus with this.
    Gary's video explains this all very well type1university.com

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011