- advertisement -

Looking for chart with A1C and complication risk reduction...504 meeting today

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by ChocolateLover, Oct 10, 2011.

1. ChocolateLover

ChocolateLover Approved members

I asked for a meeting with the guidance counselor to go over items on notations on my son's school record. He asked if we could do the annual 504 review also (past three years that has been a 2 minute process.)

Now he has a post 504 meeting with all my son's teachers and my son, my husband and myself or so I find out this morning. I know they are concerned about missed class time and I'm trying to go into this with an open mind.

I use to have a chart that they handed out at Children's hospital Fresno that lined up A1C with reduced risk for better numbers. I called them this morning (now that I'm in a frenzy :eek: ) but they cannot process to fax it to me this morning.

TIA!

Jen
    who keeps telling myself to breath

2. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

3. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

I know Darryl has some good links in his signature line. There may be something there that can help.

I have not presented this type of data to the school before. What do you hope it is going to help with? Just wondering.

4. Jeff

Jeff Founder, CWD

5. ChocolateLover

They faxed it to me!

They faxed it to me but I didn't really need it.

I scanned and tried to upload but it was too big. Will have hubby or 15 yo help me figure out and will post later.

I love this chart!!!

6. ChocolateLover

Here it is in two parts

Ta-da! Here it is. :eek:

This is from the Children's Hospital in Fresno.

7. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

Chris is referring to the DCCT, same as Jeff posted above. I would add this study which has a graph showing the relationship of not only A1C but also variability to complications: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...OQ0TRTA9nPZvcZacA&sig2=lGTQHVf6MLCOfE6YccgNNQ

The message in this is that not only should BG kept as low as safely possible, but that BG should be checked often and adjusted often to avoid large excursions. Ideally, this means checking and correcting at intervals equal to the action time: If taking an insulin correction, every 2-3 hours; if taking carbs, about an hour after the carbs are eaten to see if the carb intake was sufficient.

8. ChocolateLover

Thank you all for quick responses

Sitting in the 504 meeting with 5 out of 7 of his teachers made me realize they have #no idea# how his blood sugar affects his ability to concentrate.
    Wish I could be the emergency broadcast buzzing noise during the meeting so they could understand maybe what a high blood glucose feels like. :cwds:

I don't post often here but I read and sympathize with the many struggles of being a parent of a CWD. I am so blessed to have this community and website in my corner.

Thank you all!

Jen

9. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Just trying to figure out what the A1C/Complications chart has to do with the above?