- advertisement -

Looking for 2nd grade diabetes lesson plan.

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by WillowBean, Sep 10, 2010.

1. WillowBean

WillowBean Approved members

I am looking for a diabetes lesson plan for my DS?s class.

My DS started 2nd grade and is for the first time having a hard time emotionally with diabetes. The teacher and I think it would be good to have a lesson about diabetes in the class so Josh can explain about it and then also explain how he is like the rest of the class in many other ways. We found the Arthur lesson on line but DS is worried that Arthur is to young and his classmates will think he ?likes baby stuff? if the teacher does that lesson. Does anyone have suggestions for a diabetes lesson plan appropriate for 2nd grade?

2. jules12

jules12 Approved members

My son was dx in 2nd grade. The nurse read "Taking Diabetes to School" to the class and then they had a question and answer section. It seemed to work well. There is a newer version that talks about the pump too.

3. TheTestingMom

TheTestingMom Approved members

That is the one the teacher used in 2nd grade. And this year in 3rd grade. I guess it started an amazing conversation yesterday. During this conversation DS class learned that 2 kids AND the teacher have celiac, one child has a sibling that uses a pump.
    Good luck.

4. Mouchakkaa

Mouchakkaa Approved members

Contact your local JDRF office to see if they have something for you. I know at the Atlanta JDRF office they have representatives that come to the school and put together a little presentation during gym class to the whole school. This is however, to promote the school to do a fundraiser for the walk. Not sure if it is just in Atlanta that they are doing this or if it is in all the JDRF locations. (I have not done it with our school yet, but a JDRF person came to our meeting telling us about this option).

5. AlisonKS

AlisonKS Approved members

we bought that for kindergarten, it was read in preschool and helped. the teacher for kindergarten may edit out the whole pump bit since Tony is mdi but it's good to be proactive with questions that may arise with his peers.

6. timsma

timsma Approved members

I also bought the "Taking Diabetes to School" book when Tim started kindergarten. We read it in grades K-2. After that, everyone in his grade pretty much knew about it so never read it again. I did, however, buy another copy of that book for the school library, so any other young children diagnosed could have a copy to have read to their class as well.

7. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Eli Lilly makes a frog book about a tree frog in the rainforest. It's a good book, gives a lot of info, but not over the kids heads. Abby is in 4th grade and we just used this one. We got ours through our endo.
    Found that Lara takes Charge was a bit babyish and Even Superheros get Diabetes was just too long.

As for Arthur, he is in the 4th grade, my kids still watch it and can easily relate to him, and the d story is very good.