- advertisement -

lo with swimming

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mommyofAx4, Jul 27, 2008.

1. mommyofAx4

mommyofAx4 Approved members

lo during swimming mydd is at a friends house swimming 3 doors down and she just called me at her 30 min check and said the meter just said lo we have never had that happen after a littlle pop she is 93 i dont think alittle pop could have brought her up that fast i asked if she dried her hands good and she said not really has anyone had wet fingers bring a false low

2. Denise

Denise Approved members

No, I've never had a false low w/ wet fingers. We have had a 22...and she wasn't nearly what I thought a 22 would be...she was coherent but just "tired". :eek: I would have restricted her activity for a while after the lo and retested again in a while. Swimming makes them go low so fast! I have a feeling if she drank a regular pop and was at 93 after..she was probably pretty low!

3. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

We havn't had one, but I do think it's possable. I'm thinking one of 2 things happened. Either the wet finger caused the low...Or, she was low, then on her way back up from a rebound. If she goes sky high, it' probably a rebound. If not, probably the water. Maybe you should have an experiment later and test a slighty wet finger:cwds: Let me know how it turns out if you do it:D

4. mommyofAx4

pop usually dont bring her up that fast ever and swimming usually dont make her go low hardly ever she checked it 30 min before she got the lo with dry fingers and it was in range plus i have heard that sometimes change in th temp of the meter can throw off results her meter was in her purse in the sun but once she took it inside for a few thats when it was 93 she said she felt great and she almost 11 and can feel a low in the 60s always

5. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

Don't be too secure in the knowledge that she feels 60's. Tom does too but not in the 20's or lower.

6. mommyofAx4

oh i never rely on just how she feels because iam aware they dont always feel it.

7. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

I've retested and found that a meter was off because of water (reading 100 instead of 130), but every time I've retested something <40 mg/dl, the retest has been within 1 point of the first test.

8. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

This is true, and it's harder to tell when your really busy exercising...

9. lilwitte

lilwitte Approved members

I have had this happen. I work at a pool and have to make sure that my fingers are dried before I test, if not then I will get a false lo. Also one of my campers 2 weeks ago at diabetes camp tested right after getting out of the lake and the meter read lo. We retested her and she was 76. Water on the fingers mixed with the blood in the sample causes the meter to read lower than the blood sugar actually is.

~Liz

10. xstaybeautiful

xstaybeautiful Approved members

I never had a problem like that due to my skin being wet. But if my meter ever says simply "low" I always retest to make sure there was not an error.

However, swimming has always had a big effect on my BS. I almost always need to get out and eat a snack after a while in the water or eat immeadiately after I am finished. Swimming is a pretty strenuous excercise.. even when you are just playing around in the water for an hour. Tht might be something to consider in the future when swimming is involved.

11. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

That can definitely happen with water on the fingers!!! If you have water on your fingers it dilutes the blood causing a false low. It has happened to us many time! Carson always washes his hands before testing, but once in a while doesn't get them totally dry.

12. mommyofAx4

thanks everyone for the replies i do think wet fingers played a role because shes been good all eve but i know she could have well been that low so iam just keeping an eye out very careful

13. Bsbllmom

Bsbllmom Approved members

Christian had a reading of 45 this week during swimming. He looked at the meter then stuck out his hand. He said he wasn't shaking and tested again. He was 114. I think he might have hit a little pocket of water in his finger. It seems like with all the finger poking he gets water up under his skin.