- advertisement -

Live Camp Blogging from Texas Lions Camp Medical Director

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by kevin@diabetech.net, Jul 20, 2008.

1. kevin@diabetech.net

kevin@diabetech.net Approved members

The first week of camp just kicked off in Kerrville, Texas. If you've ever wondered what diabetes camp is like, check out

http://challengediabetes.com

frequently over the next couple of weeks to read all about it. Of course commenting with your support would be a great boost for the staff since this is exhausting work on the staff of volunteers all of whom are very passionate about helping our kids to enjoy a safe camping experience.

2. cadesmom

cadesmom Approved members

Hey Kevin, I can't wait till Cade can go to that camp, I know a little boy that is going to camp for the first time and he was so excited , I will be reading up date's and seeing how thing's are going.
    You are working this year arn't you?

3. kevin@diabetech.net

Question

An excerpt from Dr Ponder's live camp blogging:

"Another food matter stems from the growing number of campers with celiac disease (intolerance to gluten). The ADA recommends celiac screening of all children with type 1 diabetes. Celiac disease is similar to type 1 diabetes in that they are both the result of autoimmune damage: the pancreas in the case of diabetes and the gut lining in regards to celiac. The campers must avoid a number of gluten-containing foods commonly eaten by most of us. Some of our parents did not bring the special foods needed by their campers. So, our chief dietitian is busy making back up plans and will be most likely having to purchase some of these items in town for the camp dining hall staff to cook this week. This will need to change for next session for sure."​

How many families with kids who have celiac would drop your kid off at camp and expect the camp to handle your child's special gluten-free dietary needs 100% vs providing this yourself at drop off?

Last edited: Jul 21, 2008
  4. Caydens_Mommy

Caydens_Mommy Approved members

Is this Dr. Stephen Ponder?

5. TracieandJim

TracieandJim Approved members

What are the names of the 3 people in the upper right corner of the site?

6. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

I was the director of a day camp. Snacks were provided and we went to great length to provide GF for the celiacs.

It helped that one of the board member's son had celiac.

7. kevin@diabetech.net

8. kevin@diabetech.net

Good to know. There seems to be a broad interpretation of which foods and ingredients contain gluten vs which are gluten-free. How did you handle this? What standard did you refer to or was it basically according to the board member's personal standard?

9. kevin@diabetech.net

The contributors to this blog are primarily myself as a technologist (industry), Stephen Ponder (peds endo) and Barbara Anderson (behavioral psychologist specializing in family issues around diabetes). We also have had guest contributors from time to time including CDEs and other technologists.

10. Caydens_Mommy

Caydens_Mommy Approved members

Oh, okay.. My DH used a Dr. Stephen Ponder when he was younger and did not have a good experience with him, not sure if it is the same guy or not.. Not intending to be rude, was just wondering..

I look forward to when Cayden is old enough to attend camps like this.. I think it is a great thing for children.. Thanks for sharing this link for us..

11. TracieandJim

TracieandJim Approved members

I recognize the man on the top as Steve, the main blogger, but the lady on the left seems familiar as does the other man on the right. I was just wondering if her name was Ann and the other mans name also Steve?

12. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

The board member worked with the nutritionist to determine the food to get. Since they were the experts and were doing their job, I didn't ask what standard they were following. The food was purchased right before camp started.

13. kevin@diabetech.net

Ok. Thanks.