- advertisement -

Little D irks -- a vent, but feel free to add your own

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Barbzzz, Mar 22, 2010.

1. kimmcannally

kimmcannally Approved members

Thank God this doesn't apply any longer - DH has wised up. But on dx, he was telling the CDE that his SIL had diabetes as a teen and was on insulin. But she got better and doesn't need it anymore. I don't know WHERE that came from!

He also looked up online and found the "I eat nothing but vegetables and it cured of of my TID" crap.

Endos who give a run-around instead of just stating "it's our policy to wait 6 months before starting a pump" -> that's my BIG peeve now.

Endos who think they know what is best for your child in areas other than D care.

Endos who think the above after seeing your child all of ONE time.

Having to work two jobs (12 hours a day most days) because DH won't take a stinkin' higher position at work! ("it's salary and I'd have to work 50 hours a week".) I'm working 60 and doing the majority of D care bud!!!:mad:

Feeling like I may have to quit one of my jobs because of D - DS just can't be left alone. He didn't answer the phone yesterday, I sent DD to check on him (she was out with a friend) to find out he was asleep and at 63! :eek:

DS ended up going to 56 last night. But hey, we don't need the pump and it's ability to dose in .025 of a unit. These .5 units I pull up that aren't even totally accurate are just fine for treating his D - according to the endo, apparently! :mad:

2. NatBMomto4

NatBMomto4 Approved members

being new to the insane world of D (DS dx'd less than 3 weeks ago) - here are my gripes:

1 - I HATE, HATE, HATE DIABETES!!!! And I don't like using the word "hate", but with D, I have to! I HATE that I can't fix this for my son - I want to pull it out of him and put it in me - oh, what I would do to be able to do that...

2 - All the well-intentioned questions..."isn't there an easier way to test his blood sugar?" (um, if there was, we would be doing it!); "Diabetes? Wow - what has he been eating?" ; "so sorry about your son - I hope he gets better soon" (no - never - he will NEVER get better!); "you get up every night to check his sugar? don't you think that is a bit much? give yourself a break"; "you talk to the school nurse EVERY day? that's crazy!" (actually, several times each day - and I am eternally grateful to have her as an ally!); and the best - "there must be an easier way to treat this"

3 - Did I mention HATING Diabetes?

Like I said, still new here - I am crying even as I type this...thank for letting me vent

3. CaitlynGrisham

CaitlynGrisham Approved members

Oh thank heaven for this thread.

1.) I hate people that, even though I tell them the difference between type one and type two, tell me that diabetes is my fault. Uh, excuse me? No, I didn't eat too much sugar. And no, I didn't mysteriously gain fifty pounds or start smoking. Diabetes is something that happened to me, not something that I did to myself, no matter how indirectly.

2.)"You're sixteen now. Shouldn't your diabetes be going away already?" Enough said.

3.) I hate it when I go out with my mom to a restaurant and I order a diet coke plus a large (150 carb) burger with fries, only to get stares from the waiters. It's like, yes, I am aware of what I just ordered. Stop gaping at me like you're a fish and close your mouth. Ever think that maybe I just don't like regular soda? D<

4.) I hate, hate, hate, hate lows in the middle of the night. I feel so bad for my parents when I deal with the lows. I set my pump alarms and try to do everything myself, because I know that I am the one keeping them from their sleep. Sometimes, it just doesn't work out right, though. Like last night, I woke up to 50 blood sugar. Ten glucose tablets and three hours later, I test to find that I am only 60. That's when I woke up my mom.

5.) I don't like the looks I get from people when I am in public places and I bolus. I overheard a conversation the other day at a local park:
    "What's that thing at her waist?"
    "I don't know. She's probably diabetic."
    "Really? Then why is she out and about? She should be at home."
    "Why?"
    "Everyone knows that, when you have diabetes, you can't do as much as you used to!"

6.) I hate it when substitute teachers find out that you have diabetes and tell you that they think it should be illegal for you to have children. As if I don't feel bad enough? I know the risk of having kids. It's a big decision and I will make that choice when I get to it. If my kids have diabetes, then I will deal with it and teach them to deal with it just like I have been dealing with mine: one day at a time.

<3

4. KHM

KHM Approved members

LMAO! I've been reading through these wondering which of my many frustrations to vent and when I read this, I just cracked up. People say the most ridiculous things, don't they?

I love this one:
    "oh, you're handling this all SO well!"
    1. Really? Have these people any clue how verklempt, tired and freaked I am?
    2. Well, really: wtf *would* I do given the situation? Return her to the obstetrician and say, "no, no: we did not WANT a T1 diabetic child!"? I have some choice about this??

5. bgallini

bgallini Approved members

I hate that I have to worry about diabetes with my college age son rather than just your regular...how are the grades? Don't drink too much.... Etc.

6. bgallini

Amazing! Some people are just so rude and obviously have no clue!

7. bgallini

This just makes me really sad.....:(

8. Julie mom of Jack 6 dxd 3

Julie mom of Jack 6 dxd 3 Approved members

1. The school nurse trying to dictate and control who knows what at the school resulting in his teacher not knowing to do temp basal at extra recess and finding my drinken kid wandering the playground at 42.

2. My brother in law who insists, sugar causes T1, ketones are not from diabetes etc etc.

3. Medical bills, medical bill confusion

4. Not having buddies close dealing with this same thing.

P.S. as for your carb counting. We give insulin AFTER he its because we were dealing with the same thing.

9. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

--Feeling so relieved because after 6 months you've finally managed to find a way to actually get your supplies covered by insurance...only to have the policy change 2 months later.:mad:

--Worrying about losing your job because you've missed so much work for endo appts, illnesses, 504 meetings, teacher meetings etc.

--Having one of your bosses (who happens to be the father of a special needs child) go into a long diatribe about how you shouldn't coddle your CWD, & that includes losing so much sleep testing at night. "We have to learn to let go & get past the fear sometime."

--Not being sure whether the stubborn highs you've been fighting all day are due to the sinus infection she's fighting, the antibiotics she's taking, a bad site or just D throwing another curve ball.

10. kimmcannally

Got another one -

A Mom who always tells me how bad someone else has it, so our problems can't be all that bad!

She actually intimated that I don't want to be cheered up - that I'm having a pity party!! Agh!! I just want a pump! I want to have the tools to better control my son's D! I am not depressed, I am not having a pity party, I am MAD! :mad:
    I want the endo to sign off on the paperwork and get DS a pump so we can be more accurate in dosing him!

Mom has always done this, but you know, I just don't care if someone else broke every bone in their body! (example only this did not happen) If I have a sprained ankle, knowing that someone else broke a bone does not make my ankle stop hurting! I have empathy for people who are in worse shape than me. But don't point them out to me and tell me I should be thankful things aren't worse! Especially when you don't have a CLUE what our lives are like now.

I'd really love to send him to live with her for a month... :cool:

11. KHM

KHM Approved members

No wonder you know exactly where we are right now...:rolleyes:

12. Kaylee's Mom

Kaylee's Mom Approved members

I cannot tell you how many times I have heard this!!! And yes, I HATED needles before Kaylee was dx'd ... NEVER thought I could give a shot .. and now ... I could in my sleep. Amazing what you can do when not given a choice!! Or when well meaning people will say, "I do not know how you do it" Well .. no choice again .. we do what we do because we HAVE to as anyone else would do. :rolleyes:

Crystal

13. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Okay, you say this like you hear it everyday! Whoever said this deserves to be slapped, and I'm not usually pro-violence.. :p

14. kimmcannally

New one today - the kids all went hiking after lunch. DS had a low before lunch and was at 97 for lunch. So I made him eat 47 uncovered carbs because the last time they hiked, he had two or three lows while on the hike.
    I sent his glucometer and emergency kit. SIL asked "where are we sending these kids - timbuktoo?" Well, yea. When DS goes on a hike, he can't just pick up and go like your kids. He has to have supplies. Even if it's just for an hour. :(

I think it's been kind of a bad D day for both of us. I cried in the shower this morning and DS cried after I got out. (he was unaware of my crying in the shower). First Easter with D - things are a lot different than last year. He still got a bunny, but no other candy. And it's just the knowledge that it's changed. Life will never be like it was. It can still be good, just not like it was.

15. canadianmomto6

canadianmomto6 Approved members

As a mom, this one made me cry. Please don't feel bad about waking your parents in the night. It's not you that's causing it. It's diabetes. My son woke me last night to tell me he was 60 and I was just thrilled that his body caught it 1/2 hour before my alarm was set to go off to wake me to check him.

16. CaitlynGrisham

CaitlynGrisham Approved members

I didn't mean to make you cry D:

I guess I still kind of hold on the the "It's my body, so it has to be at least partially my fault" mentality. Asking for help with my diabetes has always been very hard for me :(

17. bgallini

I'm not your mom or dad but if you were my daughter, I'd want you to talk to me about this. I would WANT to help you if you were low or if you needed help with anything! I think Alex feels the same as you and I try to offer help but.....:(

18. Kayla and Ethan's Mom

Kayla and Ethan's Mom Approved members

Great thread!

1. After my DD eating her entire chocolate bunny,36 carbs, and in conversation mentioning how much she enjoyed it to my mom, her saying "Her blood sugar was in range before right? Are you sure she should have that?" ERRRR... Then again, SHE does know best!:rolleyes:

2. DiabetUS instead of diabetes, I don't know why, but it's like nails on a chalkboard!:mad:

3. "Oh, she's still has to have shots? I thought that was just to get her back on track and then she didn't need them anymore!" OMG!

4. My husband saying to me, "I think it's time WE need to ck her sugar." While looking at me expectantly. Get off your A$$ and go ck it then! I do it all day and most nights! Why can't he just notice the time, get up and go ck her... on his own?!?! Because "I can never get enough blood, it doesn't work for me!" I have repeatedly shown him how to "milk" her finger but tells me it doesn't work! :rolleyes:

5. "Poor thing, she's too young, she shouldn't have to deal with all of this..." No kidding! But she does, we all do, so just accept it and move on! Quit looking at her with pity! It's not fair and it does suck, but it's what life dealt and we have accepted it and are making the best of it we can!

Oh boy, I could go on! But better stop, before I get really hoppin'!:D

19. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I feel the same way, and I've never woken my mom about a night low.. I think a lot of D teens feel like this.

20. chbarnes

chbarnes Approved members

People who think you won't have to do all this "once you get it figured out," who also think that you must be doing something wrong if other people can see you managing your child's diabetes. Grrrr.

Chuck