- advertisement -

List of stuff to pack for Camp Sweeney?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by greenpalm, Jul 8, 2013.

1. greenpalm

greenpalm Approved members

I'm preparing to send my daughter to Camp Sweeney in a couple of weeks. My question is, is this list of needs that the camp sent really accurate? Does she really need 3 or 4 swimsuits? For example?

Thanks

2. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Yes, I'd pack several swimsuits, they swim most days, several times a day depending on what activities she chooses.

I'd skip the jacket, I think they recommend a light jacket maybe? Never need that in Texas in July!

The theme dances are fun, do you have the info on that, with the age of your daughter she'll want to do that.

WAH. This is the first year my son chose NOT to go to Sweeney, bittersweet as he's graduated so this was his last opportunity. She'll have a BLAST. Be sure to log on and watch the campfires and such, it's fun to get a glimpse into their day.

3. greenpalm

Thank you for the input! It seemed like a lot. Yes, I do have the info on the theme dances. We also have a special cupcake tutu dress for her to wear on her birthday. It's killing me that she'll be gone on her birthday, but I hear they make them special!

I thought the jacket was a funny request!! LOL!!

4. swimmom

swimmom Approved members

Camp Sweeney is my daughter's favorite place on Earth. She first went when she was 7; this is her 8th year (she's there for 2 terms this summer). Here are my suggestions in addition to the list in the handbook (feel free to PM me if you have any other questions):

-light jacket (because the AC in the SAC (gym) can be chilly and they have some events there in the evenings and maybe a pair of sweatpants if your child gets cold in AC (definitely not for outside)
    -2 laundry bags (one to hang on the bunk and an extra for when the laundry is sent out)
    -bunk bed hooks for towels (I send thin beach towels & shower towels because they dry quickly)
    -some sort of pad for the mattress (eggshell camping pad or even a sleeping bag you can lay out under the sheet; something for a little extra softness)
    -2 pillows
    -stuffed animal if your child wants one (lots of girls bring them)
    -small (and cheap) bathmat for floor near bunk
    -items to wear for theme dances (Luau, Halloween & Neon)
    -items to wear for Purple Power day
    -school (college) themed shirt for spirit Wednesday
    -1 or 2 pairs of long socks as well as the short socks kids like (for hiking)
    -extra pair of sneakers
    -extra pair of flip flops (in case of blow-out :->)
    -hair ties and hair bands
    -simple (and cool) dress with dressy sandals for Sunday
    -nice(er) dress for banquet
    -snuggie or extra blanket for bunk (the cabins are nicely air-conditioned)
    -I bought 2 plastic boxes with drawers that fit on the shelves in the cabin (she puts underwear, socks and swim suits in them & then can stack t-shirts on top of them.) I wouldn't buy anything that has to sit on the floor because there just isn't enough room.

They will give her several t-shirts during the camp session. There are Sweeney caps you can buy at registration (my daughter likes hers).

That's all I can think of right now. I know she'll have a fabulous time!

5. swimmom

swimmom Approved members

Just saw your post about her birthday at camp. DD had one at camp too. They get to go up on stage during the campfire and the Sweeney 5 band and camp will all sing Happy Birthday to her. It was very cool. You can watch it on live streaming at home and she can see it on podcast when she gets home.

6. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Curious about the dress for Sunday. Do they go to services at camp or is it a dance/party?

7. greenpalm

Thank you swimmom! You are a great help! What is purple power day?

The stuffed animals made me laugh, she has an avalanche of them!

8. swimmom

swimmom Approved members

They have a Sunday service (non-denominational) in a lovely open air chapel (there's a roof and benches, but no walls). The Seniors each session give their senior speeches during chapel and there's lots of singing.

Here's what I've gathered as a parent about Purple Power Day, the kids wear purple (including socks, hairbands, sunglasses, etc.). There's a random winner (I think a number under your chair at lunch or something like that) and that person gets to ride to activities in the golf cart (decorated in purple, of course). Lauren won once when she was 8 or 9 was thrilled :). It's just silly, camp fun. They have a special song about chicken strips too (guess everyone loves chicken strips :->).

9. tammy82

tammy82 Approved members

we also got a list but then i read in smaller print it was suggested # for the 2 week camp. I just cut in half for her one week camp.
    Two suits are enough,
    maybe 5 towels,
    personal battery operated fan (my daughter was the only one with one and
    everyone wanted to use hers)

nail polish (she and all the girls loved painting their nails)

As far as care packages dont go crazy. I had bought extra stuff for the girls also in her cabin and left notes for my daughter to give them out, only for her not to read my notes and never gave them out. She seemed to be more interested in half of the stuff when she got home. I learned my lesson for next year, small & sweet.