- advertisement -

Liquid prednisolone and kids throwing up!

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by Connor's Mom, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Connor's Mom

Connor's Mom Approved members

Does anyone have experience with kids taking liquid prednisolone and throwing it promptly back up? My non-D son has had a persistent cough for 2 weeks. We saw the pediatrician today and they suspect it may be asthma related. We are trying an inhaler and 5 days of liquid prednisolone. The only times he has had this type of reaction has been with Tylenol which he no longer takes EVER or anything with Tylenol in it. He is allergic to ammoxicillin and omnicef but, they caused severe rashes. We called the doctor's office back and will be trying to give him the dose split in half twice a day instead of once a day. I just know he is going to throw it up at bedtime too. The pharmacist said it tastes really bad and he should have a snack with it. He had the snack, we had it flavored like they suggested and yuck! I am dreading bedtime!

2. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

well not that particular med, but my dd had to take a antibiotic that was horrid, we ended up stirring it in some gatorade and sprite and chugging then followed by a hard candy to kill the aftertaste.

before we did this she threw up or really gaggged with it, not fun.

3. selketine

selketine Approved members

There are pills instead of the liquid if he is old enough to swallow a pill. The pill tastes bad but if you put it in some apple sauce (big spoonful) it goes down. That is much easier than the liquid I think.

4. Connor's Mom

We may need to try the pill. He can swallow them pretty well. He gagged for 5 minutes after taking the half dose. It was random. He would shudder then gag, swallow hard , sigh and say I'm ok. He did this about 3 times. We'll see how this morning goes now.

5. selketine

The pill was easy peasy compared to the liquid. You might be able to cut the pill in half (I can't remember if it is one you can do that to) and use more than one spoonful of apple sauce since you don't have to worry about carbs. The apple sauce with sugar (sweet or flavored stuff) works better for us than the healthier types for masking the pill.

6. MommaKat

MommaKat Approved members

Prednisolone liquid or prednisone pills both taste like crud, and with steroids it's really important to take them with food to avoid the stomache upset. If you ask to switch to the pills, just know that they tend to dissolve on contact with the tongue and result in similar pukish feelings due to taste. In the hospital we used to try to mask the taste of liquid steroids with cherry or chocolate syrup (pharmacy had sf for both), but honestly I don't think it worked well. Whenever possible with my son, I stick the pill in the middle of bite of ice cream and tell him to swallow it without letting the bite melt. I realize the steroids are going to raise blood glucose, but one bite of something to hide it in might still be worth it. One other thought, I don't know how close to bedtime dinner is, but I've always tried to do the bedtime dose at dinner or a bedtime snack as the benefits for breathing will last, but we can avoid the hyper, jittery effect of steroids keeping them awake for too long. Hope your kiddo is feeling better soon!

7. Connor's Mom

We have managed to keep 2 doses down! Last nights and this mornings. Only shudders and gaging followed without anything coming back out thank goodness:). His cough still sounds bad to me but, they said it would take more than one day. Call me impatient but, I want him better now:p

8. selketine

That's great! The prednisone builds up and (for me at least) works in like 24-48 hours for what I've taken it for. It has helped William's asthma in around the same amount of time.

It can make you feel very edgy - quick tempered - if the dose is high enough - or anxious, etc. I've had to take it several times last year for my hearing loss (long story there!) and sometimes it drove me insane and other times not so much. I have no idea but just an FYI in case he doesn't seem like himself. He has my sympathy on that!:cwds:

9. KatieJane'smom

KatieJane'smom Approved members

Is he feeling any better? Hope his cough has improved!

10. momof2marchboys

momof2marchboys Approved members

our pharmacist suggested chasing the predisone down with a little spoon of chocolate syrup - or a really big glass of water - so far it has worked great when we have had to use it on the kids.

11. Tamrantula

Tamrantula Approved members

When my oldest was taking it (over 20 years ago now!) the pharmacist told us to mix it with peanut butter. Said it was the only thing that would cut the taste enough to stop the throwing up. My son was 7 months old at the time.

Of course, that was in the days before all the high-awareness of peanut allergies. Not sure they would advise the same thing today. But, it worked great for my child!

12. Connor's Mom

We ended up being able to cut the dose in half and give it twice a day with a big apple juice chaser to keep it down. It was funny because I was waiting for the irritability and it actually seemed to mellow him. He didn't tell his sister she was the "Udder of an evil cow" once this past week lol!

He finished it on Sunday, only to be diagnosed with pneumonia on Monday afternoon.

I am thankful he is one of my Non-D kids because he was very lethargic and he had me scared out of my wits. I was able to keep him at home on antibiotics and I stayed up all night Monday to Tuesday. He is much better and was able to go back to school today. I wanted to keep him home another day but, he begged to go back because it was 100 day today.

Now I am just hoping all stays clear and he keeps moving in the right direction!

13. selketine

I'm glad he is better and got back to school but sorry he got pneumonia on top of it. I hope he stays well from here on out!

14. selketine

I don't know what they are telling parents these days about feeding babies the sticky butter kind of spreads (if there is a choking issue) but I'm thinking sunbutter (made from sunflower seeds) would be a good substitute. Still seems like apple sauce might also work for a really little kid. William had to take the liquid form also as a baby (for asthma) and that definitely was a struggle!

15. Connor's Mom

Thanks for all the support! I am glad he is better as well:)