- advertisement -

Linking Virus To Cause Of Type 1 Diabetes

Discussion in 'Research' started by jet59or, Mar 7, 2009.

1. jet59or

jet59or Approved members

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/141393.php

Prevention is foremost here, but if you can pinpoint a virus and get rid of it so the body does not attack the beta cells, wouldn't a transplant have a better chance without anti rejection drugs? Couldn't we find out the exact strain of the virus that could be in the affected pancreas and target it?

2. TonyCap

TonyCap Approved members

Very interesting. Previous studies had reported that rare mutations in a gene involved with the body's response to viruses reduce the risk of childhood diabetes.

3. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

A really good article thanks. My Steven had a cold in May of 04, he developed a sinus infection was put on anibiotics. He was diagnosed July 8 04

4. jet59or

jet59or Approved members

5. Reese'sMom

Reese'sMom Approved members

I'm so glad to find this section of CWD...I've only been over in the Parents section so far.

I am looking for any theories or studies that could help explain my son's case. He was a very active healthy boy until approximately 1 year ago. He developed an enlarged lymph node in his neck and no other symptoms...after months of misdiagnosis, he was dx'd with a rare form of Hodgkin's Lymphoma (nodular lymphocyte predominant). He was treated with chemo and steroids (which caused temporary high blood sugars) and then he was and still is in remission from cancer since August, 2008. However, his blood sugars soared in January when he was dx'd with type 1 (5 months after ending cancer therapy).

Drs. say it was not caused by the chemo or by the cancer. I have my doubts. We have no type 1 in our families.

I'm theorizing that the immunosuppression that was involved in his cancer treatment may have triggered the onset of the diabetes. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thank you.

6. jet59or

jet59or Approved members

Heather, I am so sorry to hear about Reese's challenges, but am happy to hear that the cancer, at least, is in remission. My prayers go out to your family. I have no medical background and can just guess like you. First, I would say that he was pre-disposed to getting diabetes. Then I would assume that the immunosuppression drugs opened his system up for other infections, perhaps allowing a virus to affect his pancreas. We had no diabetes in our family either, but my father does have Celiac which is also an autoimmune disease closely linked to diabetes. My son also tested positive for celiac, but luckily has shown no symptoms yet.