- advertisement -

limitations...what?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Omo2three, Sep 18, 2008.

1. Omo2three

Omo2three Approved members

When my daughter was first Dx the Endo stated she can do ANYTHING except be in the military or services, deep sea dive, and be an airline pilot.:confused:

Anyone know of someone who is type 1 and can do these things?!
    heard there is a type 1 D athlete who participates in the IRONMAN

Read about the firefighters fighting discrimination for type 1. My DH is a FF for the city. The dehydration factor gets most of the ff in trouble despite additional health concerns. The Firefighter gear or jackets alone make them lose water and electrolytes, not to mention the heat from the building, or being on the roof. Anyone hear that D can be more susceptible to dehydration?:confused:

My DD just had her first VB tournament she took 1st place.:D...the adrenaline really kicked up the BG for two days after the tournament. Endo concerned about her staying hydrated

ok I am jumping subjects...curious about both!

2. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

3. Aidan'sMom

Aidan'sMom Approved members

This may be a very stupid question that might be obvious to me if I just thought more about it, but I don't feel like racking my brain...........Why can't a diabetic go scuba diving??

4. bgallini

bgallini Approved members

I have heard of people being in the military with T1 but I'm guessing they were dx after being in the military. I have heard that it can be hard to be a truck driver (one that drives long distances, I forget the name of that) but it has been done. Same with pilots. I read about a guy who got dx with T1 as a commercial pilot and stopped flying but then fought it and started flying again.

As far as the dehydration goes, I don't know for sure but I don't think people with D are more prone to become dehydrated. But it's more of a problem if you do get dehydrated as it will mess with your bg. But I think b/c of issues like this, a person with T1 may actually do better in such situations b/c they will pay more attention to staying hydrated.

That said, as with anything, I imagine some people with T1 will run into discrimination at some point. My son had some issues with recreation league coaches early on but he hasn't had other problems. But I can see with people being so ignorant, this could be a problem from time to time.

5. cassie

cassie Approved members

I'm wondering this too.

6. Jordansmom

Jordansmom Approved members

Diabetics can scuba dive. There has been a problem for along time with dive masters turning down diabetics for scuba because they're afraid of lows while underwater. It would be really difficult to detect or treat in scuba gear. New diving guidlines require commonsense measures like diving with a buddy who knows about diabetes, checking your blood sugar before you dive, diving only if your blood sugar is above 150 and below 300, diving only if you have recently been under good control, Usin gthe hand signal of an L if you are low etc, carrying glucose tabs.

That doesn't mean you wouldn't still run into dive masters that won't take on the liability.

7. Caydens_Mommy

Caydens_Mommy Approved members

Diabetics can be firemen.. Daniel has been one for 5 years and had D for 27.. No problems..

Here it is hard for a person with D to get a CDL license to drive a truck.. You have to get alot of dr releases before they will even consider giving you one.. Other then that and the military I have never heard of any other jobs you can't or can he hard to get..

8. volund

volund Approved members

I asked about d and scuba when I got certified, there is nothing against any regulations that the instructor or anyone at the shop (long time divers) knew about. They felt that most dive masters would accept anyone with d as long as they were in control and had someone with them, as Jordansmom said.

9. mommyofAx4

mommyofAx4 Approved members

The only thing we were told was military commercial pilot and truck driver was what our dd could not do

10. CAGrandma

CAGrandma Approved members

Realistically the chances are that diabetes would not stop someone from being or doing whatever they wanted, but rather it would be a combination of other factors just as it is for everyone else. I had to accept the fact early in life that I would never be a professional basketball player (I qualify for the nickname 'Shorty') no matter how much I wanted it and how hard I tried to practice. Also will never be an opera singer. I could fill pages with all the things I am NOT talented in or suited for - but why bother. Just like someone with Type 1 diabetes, the trick is to find what I AM suited for and enjoy that.

11. Rusty

Rusty Approved members

I have really not thought about the things London may not be able to but have thought a lot about things he can do now and things he may do later in his life.

12. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

I know there is a guy over in Iraq right now that was dx with Type 1 while in the military.. they let him stay.. they've made special exception for him.. he's under excellent control.. he had to prove that he could manage it, as well as any emergency backup plan if something happened.. I'll see if I can find the info on it.. the one thing we were told that K could NOT do was the military, but only ACTIVE duty.. they can still join, but wouldn't be put in combat (obviously the guy I just told you about is an exceptional case.. )