- advertisement -

Like having to sign in blood to get a new meter/remote

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by DsMom, Jan 6, 2012.

1. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

Reading other posts about Animas...what is UP with them now? Before Christmas, our meter started giving false high readings. After a Christmas party, said my son was in the mid 300s. I thought that the food and the long drive had caught up with him, and bolused him, only to second guess myself (Thank God) 20 minutes later to find he was really 115!! Fun night of forcing carbs and checking every 20 minutes!:rolleyes: Happened on a smaller scale a few days later, so I called Animas to get a new meter.

It took more than a freakin' hour on the phone with them, reading off every setting (bolus, basal, IC, etc., etc.) every BG reading for the preceding days not once...but TWICE with two different people. Had to give all sorts of info to the first person, who I assumed was inputting it into a computer, only to have to give the SAME info to a different person. What are computers for if we have to keep repeating this stuff.

The last time we needed a new meter from Animas, it was 10 or 15 minutes on the phone, no problem, we'll send out a new one. This time, it was like I was on Law and Order and was being cross examined for a major crime!:mad: Anyone know why the big change in their process?

2. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

I hate to chime in on every what's up with Animas thread, but we had some trouble with accuracy (consecutive readings on the same meter) with the Ping meter before we went off the pump, talked to the meter people, got SUCH a big run around. That's just the way meters are. . .. .why are you testing her toes!???. . . . do you use the test solution every time you open a new vial and every time you sneeze in the presence of the meter. . . they sent me test solution and mini meters, but not a new meter. I believed them, or got tired of arguing with them, but now that we're using a new meter I see so much better consistency and sense out of the thing that I sometimes wonder if our issues weren't with the pump but with the meter. If so, they lost a long, long term pump user because they were too cheap to send out a new meter. That's a lot of money in pump supplies and test strips. . . penny wise and pound foolish, if it's austerity measures on the part of Animas. :( And that doesn't even count just the ethics of pinching pennies by letting kids get bad readings more often than they should, if that wound up being the case.

3. TheTestingMom

TheTestingMom Approved members

I spent 1.5 hours on the phone two days before Christmas because of no prime alarms. I had to leave a message and have someone call me back. Then I had to answer a million questions, read back bg numbers clear into November, explain why ds went to the ER - she even wanted the doc's names (told her no)! By the time I got off the phone we did have a new pump on the way but I was PISSED. Being that close to Christmas I had a million things to do and what if we would have had guests? It was way over the top.

4. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

I really wish they had marketing people who kept up here, because while I believe they have a wonderful product and I try hard to support them, they are messing up lately. I have an outstanding bill that I cannot get fixed, they sent items I didn't want and still owe my insurance a credit. I have called MANY times and still can't get anyone to figure out what I owe. Don't even get me started on talking to anyone in billing, I have seriously taken to speaking in slow and uncomplicated sentences so as to be understood.Maddening. So far CS generally has been good for us but this next order I am seriously contemplating using another supplier.

Hey ANIMAS, your customers are here, pay attention to us. We MATTER.

5. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

Careful what you wish for :p, I can't remember which company it was but once some PR person from some company did a search or something here and PMed folks with complaints about the product. Totally creeped me out! Hasn't happened since, so I'm guessing they were asked not to do that, although maybe they just had other reactions like mine (basically :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:). But they may still be watching (cue Twilight Zone music).

6. mommylovestosing

mommylovestosing Approved members

ME TOOOOO!!! Have you seen some of my posts about the issues we've been having?? I was having the priming issue as well, but got lectured on not changing the cartridge with every site change, storing the insulin in the fridge, using a bolus to also prime the canula instead of prime if she as eating something (a .30 makes no difference here so that's why it's not a big deal to me). How I stored my supplies, why don't you know which cartridges came with each other in the same box (I open a few boxes at a time into a larger area in a storage thing I have...). I was questioned on why she was untethered, why can't she just wear the pump all the time. UGHGUGHGUGHGUHGUGGUGHGHGUUGH!!!!!!

Then, I was asked to read back EVERY bolus. I felt like I was in trouble for something! Drove me CRAZY and I had to go through this TWICE.

Grrrr.....

7. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

I believe it was Animas that did this, and I don't think it was just a PM, I think they actually tracked down information on exactly WHO it was and called them.:eek:

8. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

Holy cow, I didn't know that.

9. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

We were never able to get the meter to d/l a single time. It's been stored in the back of the D supply cabinet for over a year
    I've been waiting since June 2010 for a callback from tech support about the EZ Manager software. lol They were supposedly discussing the issue in the next meeting at the end of the week. That's one heck of a long meeting!
    (No, I'm not really still waiting. We don't even d/l the pump anymore.)

The first time we had a pump issue they were absolutely great. Pumps #3,4 & 5 only came after I argued my case....you know the prime issue is all due to user error right?

Not impressed here.

10. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

I swear, maybe they ARE tracking me (not really)....I had to call today and I have the most positive, wonderful experienced customer service rep. I was on hold maybe a minute or less (7am on a Saturday, maybe that's the trick!) She took her time with me, treated me with intelligence and talked at my level (as opposed to talking to me like I was an idiot). THEN, she called my son on his cell at work and talked him through a diagnostic type thing in his pump (to track the alarms or something) and helped him figure out the problem. She THEN called me back on my cell and left me a detailed message saying what she had told him, what she believes happened and what her concerns were.

I'm back to being VERY impressed with their customer service. Still highly unimpressed with their billing department though....

11. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

Molly's pump stopped alerting for low cartridge and boluses. She called and spoke with a rep for 5 min. max and was sent a new pump 2 days later. Guess we got lucky with a sympathetic rep (who was also T1).

12. selketine

selketine Approved members

Julie,
    I don't know where you are in PA but this guy from Animas is going to the CWD Focus on Technology weekend conference in Philly next month: Henry Anhalt, DO, FAAP, FACOP, FACE, CDE is the Director, Medical Affairs at Animas Corporation.

If you are going you might mention your story to him.

I'd suggest writing a letter to them letting them know how frustrating customer service has been.

13. Connor's Mom

Connor's Mom Approved members

I have only contacted them 3 times. The first time was great. The second time I was kept on the phone for 53 minutes only to be told I needed to contact sales and they closed 40 minutes ago! What!!! Why wasn't I transferred when I called? I was very clear about why I was calling, I needed to see if I could get some sample sets because the ones we were using kept failing. The rep made me go through all the pump settings and all the BGs for the past month and all the alarms only to then say I needed sales for samples! I asked for sales when I called. The next day I called sales and they said I needed to go through customer support if the sites were failing. I explained that we did that yesterday and I just wanted to try a different type of set. Before I even finished my sentence I was on hold for 15 minutes and then going through all the pump settings again for another 53 minutes only to be told my Endo's office would need to request new sites for me. This is our first pump and so far I am less than happy with the customer care.

14. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

Sounds very similar to what I went through when I asked for samples. This was the easiest way for me to get them.
    https://www.animas.com/animas-insulin-pumps/inset-infusion-sets/free-sets-promo-sign-up-form

I printed out the form, faxed it to the endo & had the samples a week or so later.

15. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

their tech desk people are mean, but they have the best reps EVER. I met with the one in our area at our house before we went on the pump. He didn't have the sample ping because they had some issue and ran out of the reps or some thing so he let us play around with his! He totally got that I already knew a lot about the pump and it was more my parents who needed to learn, he even let me show they how to bolus and all that. It was like talking with a friend instead of a sales person. And once when we ran out of sets before we could get more (insurance issue) he drove out to meet us and gave us enough samples to last until we could get the problem worked out!

When ever I've had to call they've taken forever and I had to leave a message and they called me back, it bugs me but I love the ping so much its worth it!

When I met a medtronic rep at a confrence she asked if I was on a pump, I told her I had chosen the ping because it came with a remote/meter, she was all "well we have a remote too, its just not a meter" I told her that it was a pain to take around a pump, meter, remote, low supplies, and set. she didn't believe me, said no one seemed to mind! the animas rep listened to my ideas, he told me he agreed and was trying to get them to change things (not having to re enter to bolus amount after putting in carbs)