- advertisement -

Letting our kids be kids

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Lisa P., Aug 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. twodoor2

twodoor2 Approved members

Caspi,
    I honestly don't want to go into this with you in front of the whole forum. If you have problems with me, please pm me. Where I grew up, when you accuse someone of "back pedaling", it's technically an insult.:rolleyes:

I feel as if I had jabs from you througout this whole thread. You may not feel that way, but I do. Again, if you have a problem with me, feel free to pm me.

ETA: I never said I don't test that often, just not every day 15 times a day.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2008
  2. Mama2H

Mama2H Approved members

Can we PLEASE have this thread closed :eek: People are getting their feelings hurt :( We all love our kids and do what is best, no reason to beat a dead horse :(

3. wilf

wilf Approved members

One of the expressions and life lessons I learned from my father (a wise old country doctor) at an early age may be relevant here:

"If you're in a hole, the first thing to do is to stop digging.."

4. caspi

caspi Approved members

Marsha, you asked me a question and I honestly answered it. As far as the definition of back pedaling, the way I understand it is to say one thing, then change your mind and say another. That's what I meant by back pedaling.

5. caspi

caspi Approved members

I agree. It was my quote that someone else started this thread with! And has anyone else noticed that the OP hasn't posted anything other than 2 posts last night???

Not sure if that was a "dig" at me or at Marsha. :cwds:

6. caspi

caspi Approved members

7. moco89

moco89 Approved members

I don't think it matters who is doing the digging. We're all doing the digging if we contribute somehow to the criticism going on in this thread. This thread has gone downhill over something that is a YDMV issue. In fact, the main argument has little to do with the OP.

8. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

The contention here is whether 15+ BG tests a day might do more emotional
    harm than they do good.

There is no evidence that would substantiate physical or emotional harm resulting
    from frequent BG tests (even those bloody, painful tests of years ago).

There is, however, devastating physical and emotional damage associated with
    complications of diabetes that have resulted from poorly controlled BG.

No one should question a parent who do a reasonable job controlling BG with just
    a few BG checks a day.

Likewise, no one should question a parent who is controlling their child's BG with
    "450" BG checks a month. In fact, all medical evidence including the DCCT and
    EDIC studies support this intensive control approach. Parents and children who
    make it a point to test frequently (either by frequent BG testing or CGM) are setting
    the stage for the best possible long-term health outcome, and are delaying or
    preventing the day when a physically and emotionally devastating diagnosis
    might be received.

While we went with the CGM approach, we would be testing 450 times a month
    too if the CGM was not available to us.

Karenwith4 likes this.
  9. twodoor2

I still maintain that I do test often, just not 15 times a day every day. Her tests might average out to 12 times a day. Sickness and fat spikes intervene, and I do have to test quite bit. I also probably throw strips that are bad because I can't get enough blood on the strip. You probably think that's also excessive, but I'm not defending it to you. In the end, yes, I probably use up all the boxes by the end of the month. I also leave her alone every work day with a very caring nanny who tests often due to the fact that she's responsible for Elizabeth and doesn't want any harm to come to her while she's in her care.

BTW, I do keep statistics on test strip usage, would you like to see it so you can gage if I'm being too excessive?

Last edited: Aug 20, 2008
  10. Karenwith4

Karenwith4 Approved members

I'm like you. I could care less what people think in situations like this.
    But many people here have said they feel judged by your comments and that continually stating your opinion in this way is hurtful or inflamatory. It's insensitive in that context to blame hurt feelings on other's shortcomings rather than on the real affect of your comments. Whether or not your comments would personally bother you does not negate the fact that your words have power to hurt others and have in this case. It is our collective responsibility to use our words wisely and mindfully in ways that contribute to rather than detract from the supportive intention for this board.

11. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

12. caspi

caspi Approved members

Marsha, don't you think this is enough already? I've responded to every question to the best of my ability. I don't know what more you expect me to say. In the interim, I've received two negative annoymous feedbacks.

If you are happy with the way that you are taking care of your daughter, that should be all that matters.

Mama Belle and SamsMom like this.
  13. twodoor2

Caspi,
    I'm very sorry you received negative feedback, that's unfortunate, and trust me - it wasn't from me. Truce then. Let's let this thread finally just end!!!

14. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

Did anyone ever notice that children with diabetes have the best smiles in the world?

15. Jacob'sDad

Jacob'sDad Approved members

Here's a fictional scenario. Not a typical day, but one that could surely happen.

BG checks:

5:30am correction if needed when I get up for work.
    8am check when Jacob gets up
    10am check at breakfast. Jacob is eating late lately
    12:30pm always check between meals and to see if we can get a head start on a lunch correction if needed.
    12:30pm double check due to high number
    1:30pm lunch check
    3pm Jacob feels low so we test
    3:30pm recheck after low
    5pm new box of strips control test
    5pm between meal check and head start on dinner correction if needed. May see rebound
    6:30pm dinner check
    6:30pm mom thinks his hands might be dirty and decides to recheck after washing them
    8:30pm wants snack so we check
    10pm bed time check
    12am checking because I fear he may go low, based on 10pm check. He's just a tad low so I start a temp basal
    1:30am checking to see if low was avoided
    3:30am middle of the night check.
    3:30am recheck because I didn't get enough blood on the first strip.

That makes 18 doesn't it? Which tests were not needed?

Mama Belle likes this.
  16. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

Are you sure you want to stir this pot some more??? Let it go...Really

twodoor2 and OSUMom like this.
  17. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

R.I.P
    (Please)

Last edited: Aug 21, 2008
    Mama Belle likes this.
Thread Status: