- advertisement -

Letting our kids be kids

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Lisa P., Aug 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aidan'sMom

Aidan'sMom Approved members

Oh, lord!! I promise you do not want to see my fat tale climbin' up or gettin' out of a tree!!:eek: LOL!! It gives my Hubby a good laugh that's for sure!!:D

2. jendean

jendean Approved members

I think the most important point is that each person needs to find a way to live WITH diabetes, not THROUGH it.
    We all seem to find a new calling on diagnosis, and that is good. But at some point, you have to find out a way to live WITH it.
    :cwds: That means something different to each of us... and each person knows his/her childs limits.
    Not one of us can say what's normal for everyone.

3. Judy&Alli

Judy&Alli Approved members

I have been thinking about this one comment all day after reading it this morning. Should I post, or should I not????? Against everything in my personality I decided that I needed to.
    Here is how I feel. What you said was way out of line. You don't even know her. None of us know each other in the context of such a judgemental comment. I hope at some point you regret that comment. I know I regret reading it. Very sad that it has come to this kind of bashing. We are all supposed to be buliding each other up, cheering each other on.

4. Seans Mom

Seans Mom Approved members

Why? Because I've wondered when there would be time to play with all the graphs and data and testing? I'm human, I wondered. I was not trying judge her, I've just wondered. OMG how wrong was that?? :eek: Apparently, this hit a nerve w/ many. I've explained my concern to Marsha, that I was not meaning to be judgemental. As yet, she is the one who hasn't told me she took it in a judgemental way. This is my reply to earlier comments:
    Marsha,
    I've honestly never felt you to be an enemy. And despite how my post came out to some, I really did not mean to imply you don't love your children as much as I do mine. Just that my concern was because I love children. I do not give bad rep anonymous or otherwise and if I felt the need to bring something to your attn. I would have. I just wanted to address the original post that offended you, because I felt I owed you that much. Now I really have to get busy for awhile.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2008
  5. Noel

Noel Approved members

Oh cr@p Marsha....I was just getting ready to e-mail you some numbers to look at....Aidan has been like a roller coaster....There are some trends though and I see them I just don't know what to do with them.

I have never been good at doing that,,,,,and what I love about this place is that SOOOOOO often my weakness is someone elses strength and I know that I can find the answer here.

Let's stop tearing each other down and build each other up ok? It the true spirit of Badshoe himself........YDMV and LYMI!!!

6. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

My Kid is Just a Kid - sometimes good, sometimes naughty, sometimes cute, mostly normal. I am a lax D Mum :eek:
    We test about 6 times a day though often 2-3 times in the evening to get overnight right.

Our after school conversation could go like this:
    "Can I go and play?"
    "Where are you going?"
    "Over to the trees with Anna" (or riding bikes or playing with the lamb)
    "What are you going to do if you feel low?"
    "Come back to you?"
    "No, here, put these in your pocket and if you feel low eat them, tell Anna and then both come back to me together. Or call me. And be back in 1/2 hr".
    "Okay"

So I keep my eye on them and they play fine (maybe an argument or two). Rachel is in tune with her body without having to rely on technology and thats the part that I think we've done well at. She has had to learn that she 'can' feel low. Maybe shes got down to 2 (36) but she is slowly getting better at knowing shes low at around 4 (72). I want to foster that. Sometimes shes high when she feels low and sometimes not. Sometimes shes eaten the glucose tabs because she just felt like them :rolleyes: and she comes back slightly high and very grubby!

We try to be matter of fact about food - "yes you can have a whole bag of Candy Floss because your friends are :eek:, but how about you save it for after dinner?", "Okay eat the donut, but make sure you bolus for it, do you know how many carbs?"

This is what works for us and I think its a pretty good balance. For a nearly 7 yr old I think Rachel is doing great. :cwds:

StillMamamia and Lisa P. like this.
  7. Judy&Alli

Judy&Alli Approved members

I didn't see that post, sorry. I am glad you cleared it up. The reason that I think that maybe it hit a nerve with many as you said in your reply is this. We as mom's try harder at nothing than to be the best moms we can be every day, every minute of the day, til we take our last breath. When someone says anything to the contrary of what we do, it cuts deep to the bone.

8. caspi

caspi Approved members

Well said! :cwds: I want a lamb! Where can I get a lamb? And in our new townhouse, will they allow it?! ;)

9. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

Re: Experiments on kids

Doing a series of half-hour BG checks while your child is sleeping is not experimenting on your child.
    It is simply a detailed IOB test, which is likely to result in more accurate dosing, which might result
    in fewer lows, highs, emergency BG checks, and corrections for months into the future. Who knows,
    the extra 10 BG checks that Marsha did that night might have prevented insulin stacking and maybe
    even a glucagon shot or two for her daughter.

"Experimenting on your child" would be more appropriately used for a parent who might try an
    unapproved drug, or testing the idea that faith might work better than insulin. No one here is
    experimenting on their child. There are just different degrees between which some of us do scientific
    analysis in the hope of controlling BG better, and others who go more by gut feel. As long as BG is
    controlled well, that is all that matters.

10. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

Re: Letting kids be kids

Everyone knows I am a strong proponent of CGM's. I've given the technical reasons before,
    but here's probably the best reason of all: In my opinion, there is nothing in this world that
    lets a kid be a kid more than having a CGM. After dx, Our dd was in a state of constant anxiety
    every minute over her BG. She shied away from sports, swimming, sleepovers, and worried
    every minute of her school day.

Since starting the CGM, with the exception of a very unpleasant 10 seconds every Sunday
    night, my dd has "just been a kid". She does everything her friends do, without exception,
    and without worry. Not to mention going from 10 BG checks a day to 3.

With all the pro's and con's of CGM's floating around, this is one I feel is worth mentioning
    under the title of the thread.

11. caspi

caspi Approved members

I agree that a detailed IOB test, performed once in awhile, isn't harmful to a child, if that's your thing. I was specifically talking about people that test their children 15 times a day, every day. That, to me, is excessive.

Seans Mom likes this.
  12. caspi

caspi Approved members

This post says it all! I'm so happy you were able to get your child on a CGMS! :cwds:

13. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

I agree with you... I wouldn't want to prick her finger 15+ times a day. However I don't think 15 BG's
    a day is always enough for good control... which is another reason I like the CGM: 288 BG readings a
    day with 3 fingerpricks.

14. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

And if I had my way, every insurance company would cover CGM's 100% for all children, and I am fighting for that in my appeals and beyond until it happens.

Seans Mom likes this.
  15. saxmaniac

saxmaniac Approved members

There are plenty of T2 who think a T1 testing more than 4x is day is excessive. And we all know they're working on incomplete data and assumptions.

How is this different?

Maybe you have a picture of a child who fights every stick and screams. Other kids hardly bat an eyelash - I can poke Alex and it doesn't even register. I could ask him "what did I just do to you?" and the answer would usually be "I don't know". So the 10 fingersticks a day, does that effect him? Hardly.

We should stick together, and be tolerant and mindful of the varying needs everyone has.

Judy&Alli likes this.
  16. twodoor2

twodoor2 Approved members

Just for clarification purposes only. The "experiment" I was doing that was referenced earlier in this thread had nothing to do with multiple BG tests. I was actually trying to extrapolate the pump IOB from the pump itself. This was done for the purpose of obtaining information to help me estimate how the pump calculates IOB for specific DIA's. .:)

The Active Insulin (IOB) is part of the pump metrics. As soon as you give a bolus, the pump gives a running countdown percentage of IOB left. It will do so until the DIA is over.

In a nutshell, all I was doing for the "experiment" was reviewing the pump, and nothing more. :)

17. caspi

caspi Approved members

Scott, so are you telling me that your endo says it's okay to test your child 15 times a day, every day?

Of course, occasionally this happens - sickness, extra physical activity, etc.
    However, if a person feels that it is imperative to test that often, they need to look at WHY. Is their basal/bolus off? Their carb ratios? If it's because their child can't feel a low, then a CGMS should be considered.

That's what I was trying to get across........ :cwds:

18. twodoor2

You mentioned detailed IOB tests, so I thought you were referencing the test I had done earlier. I have also mentioned several times in this forum that I get 450 test strips a month, and I thought perhaps you were referring to me. The charts and spreadsheets comment earlier I thought was in reference to me.

You can say these things were not in reference to me, but, spreadsheets, charts, 450 test strips, detailed IOB tests, etc. . . are all are part in parcel of things I have posted about more than one time. Maybe it's just a strange coincidence. I don't know, but if you say it has nothing to do with me, then I believe you. :)

19. twodoor2

OMG, no. The 450 test strips are used for the same purpose that everyone uses them here. To test her BG at specific times of the day to improve control. I always order extra every month, because you never know if you need more for sickness, or other unforseen events. I only test 15 times a day if she's sick or has a fat spike.

20. caspi

caspi Approved members

I pulled that post as I realized after posting it wasn't fair, and I apologize. However truth be told you HAVE said in prior posts that you DO use 450 strips every month. That's really the crux of this thread. I just think it's excessive. Again, my opinion.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.