- advertisement -

Letter to classmates inviting them to JDRF walk?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by cm4kelly, Feb 2, 2014.

1. cm4kelly

cm4kelly Approved members

We will be doing the local JDRF walk in town in a month or so with my first grader. His classmates all are aware of his type 1.

Once someone posted about sending home a letter to classmates inviting them to join us for the walk. Has anyone done something similar?

I would love to know what you put in your letter - and hear any recommendations.

Thanks.

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

This is just my opinion.

I would invite close friends and family members to participate in the actual walk and I would solicit contributions from my circle of adult friends and neighbors but I would not invite the entire class of my kid's 6 year old peers to join in. Just off the top of my head I would not do this because, 1. knowing that a classmate has to check bg etc does not mean that they have to know anymore and the last thing I would want would be for my kid's classmates and their parents to first and foremost identify my kid as the "sick one". 2. Every family has a cause about which they care. If every time a child's family solicited involvement from a class of 25 kids it would be a full-time job just to keep up.

Like I said, just mho

3. jmg707

jmg707 Approved members

We did the JDRF walk in the fall. We had to travel out of the area so we did not do a specific letter to school friends. We did use the guidelines online from JDRF and created our story as well as personalized the letter. I emailed that to just a select group of friends and family member. However, if there was a local event, I would have invited a few more people to join us. Most likely, it would not be the entire class though. I think it depends on how close you are to the other families. For us, I know the people that would want to support it so those are the ones I would ask.