- advertisement -

Lets get down to basics

Discussion in 'Siblings and Friends' started by YodaTech, May 18, 2009.

1. YodaTech

YodaTech Approved members

My younger sister was diagnosed with I think Type 1 last november. I would like to learn anything and everything i can about D. So that i can help take some of the stress off of her. She needs someone to be there and be supportive. Who better then her older brother. If you have any tips or tricks for how to do things. What to look for. Things to avoid. In case of emergencies what should I do, etc

Last edited: May 18, 2009
  2. YodaTech

YodaTech Approved members

How strongly of an effect do hormones have on blood sugar levels?
    Is insulin still mainly pig insulin or have they found a way to synthetically create it?
    Is an Pancreas transplant a viable option to cure a persons D?
    If stem cells are able to do what they claim to do, aka growing new organs, Would it be as simple as replacing the pancreas?

3. Ed2009

Ed2009 Approved members

Take a look at some things...

What we did with our boy, who's 10 years old.:

1) When our boy was diagnosed, we all followed the same diet at home, so to show him that we were all in the same boat. At least for the first few months, until he could deal better with the condition. And no comments like "look what we do for you" or some like that. Just happily and as an everyday normal thing.

2) Lots of help with the shots, until he could do it by himself. No pushing on the issue, when he was ready to do it by himself, great. Before that, everyone would help. Anyway, now we all do the 'unreachable' shots whenever we can (lower back and arms), so he can give his tummy and legs some rest.

3) No other privileges. Life and business as usual.

First months are challenging, but after a little while, it get's alright. Best regards, Ed

Last edited: May 20, 2009
  4. MissEmi

MissEmi Approved members

YodaTech, I would suggest posting this over on the teen board; you'll get more responses there because it's more active, and we'll be glad to help anytime :D.

-Hormones effect your blood sugar big time.

-Pig insulin is no longer used at all.

-While several people with D have been "cured" with transplants, because the disease is autoimmune, there is a huge possibility of developing D with the new pancreas. Most people only get pancreas transplants along with kidney or other transplants.

-The jury is still out on stem cells.

Hope I helped! And like I said, if you have any more questions feel free to post in the teens.
    ~Emily

ETA: Just realized you were Jordan's brother. LOL. I can see why you might not want to post in the teens, because you know little sisters...(hey I can say that, I AM a little sister and know how we can be :p.)

5. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Emily said almost everything I would. Just a couple of things.
    Some people still use it, actually. It's rare though, and just people who have side effects or whatever from GM insulin.
    Also, the anti-rejection meds used after transplants can have even worse effects than the D itself.

6. MissEmi

MissEmi Approved members

Okay, I was wondering about that...but I didn't know, thanks :D. And that is so true about the anti-r drugs.

7. Ronin1966

Ronin1966 Approved members

<<Some people still use it, actually. It's rare though, and just people who have side effects or whatever from GM insulin.

:rolleyes: And what side effects are we talking about exactly?

I used it for twenty-five years and had no side effects, nor did any diabetic I had ever encountered/met (years of diabetes camp, lots of internet groups, numerous re-education classes). Nobody had medical problems.... with the beef/pork. Its awfully suspect... these vague "side effects".

I'm not saying the DNA insulin is not more rapid, but the money trail must be examined as a excellent motive too!

8. Leah

Leah Approved members

1)Never act stressed out when she has a high or low, just act calm.

2)Encourage her to Try different equitment so she will know which one works the best for her.

3)Donate money or go on walks with friends to show her that there are people there for her.

4)Try to talk about it as least as possible.