- advertisement -

Leg sites are really bothering me

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by CaitlynGrisham, Apr 25, 2012.

1. CaitlynGrisham

CaitlynGrisham Approved members

I love to wear leg sites. I have really great absorption with them, and they are really comfortable for me...most of the time. However, I've begun to use my legs on a more regular basis and I am finding that the sites are really causing some problems.

I use the silhouettes (17mm) and IV 3000. I insert the sites and tape it down, but sure enough, after a day or so, my leg starts to get sore and red around the site. It is particularly bad around the end of the cannula under my skin.

I always wipe everything down with alcohol, and I always wash my hands prior to putting a site. Is there something that I'm not doing?

2. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

Could it be the alcohol? We can't use alcohol wipes on my son's skin because they make his skin dry, red, and itchy. For him, soap and water is the best bet.

3. CaitlynGrisham

Hmm, I didn't think of that. That might be the problem. I am thinking about changing this site out because it is hurting :)() so I think I'll try just using plain soap and water this time around.

4. Butterfly Betty

Butterfly Betty Approved members

Might have to try that with Sophie, too. She's just not gotten to where she will do leg sites, but complains about the same. Good tip.

5. ashtensmom

ashtensmom Approved members

Hi Lisa,

Our beloved DD's started pumping on same day. Good to hear she is trying out the leg for sites. We havent been brave enough to try yet but want to some day. Ashley is almost nine and have no leg fat, if that makes a difference.

6. Butterfly Betty

Butterfly Betty Approved members

Sophie's legs are very muscular so it took a bit to get to the point that she would let us do anything but her tummy. Her endo wanted her to try her legs in order to keep her stomach from gathering scar tissue. I have to insist that she uses her back, just over her hips every few changes, too. She hates them there, but mostly because she can't put the site there herself and she has to trust someone else to do it. While she trusts me, she likes to be in control of her diabetes care.

Hope Ashley is doing great with hers! We're loving our pump.

7. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I've always stuck with soap and water, and I've never had any issues from sites (occasionally they are red/inflamed, but never such that I've needed antibiotics). My skin is so sensitive, I think alcohol would dry it out.

8. Mom264

Mom264 Approved members

Teflon sensitivity?

You might have developed a sensitivity to teflon. Endo explained to me that this can happen.

Perhaps try a steel set on your legs, or give your legs a break and rotate to some other spots for a while. (We use Sure-Ts, Silhouttes and sometimes Mios)
    We use Sure-Ts most often now, switching from using the Cosmo version of Silhouttes (Contact detach) and Mios (Inset), when DD was having similar reaction to yours, plus her BG became elevated by day two.

9. CaitlynGrisham

This makes a lot of sense! I am seeing a slow, steady rise in BGs after day one. I think I might call minimed and see if I couldn't get my hands on some Sure Ts. Maybe those might work better.

10. Mom264

Mom264 Approved members

IME Minimed is very good about sending samples of infusion sets and also tapes, if you request. I think it is a good way to see what products might work for you without having to get a whole box.:)

11. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

YDMV but if I use one area more than the rest ( only your bleey/ hips area) I hvae issues with absorption, failed sites, and pain... I have to be really good about rotating or else=(