- advertisement -

Leaving reservoir in pump for 6 days

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by libbymom, Jul 18, 2013.

1. libbymom

libbymom Approved members

I've been changing out reservoir and site every 3 days, but wanted to try putting enough insulin in to last for 6 days and just changing site after 3 days. Not sure how to do it though.

You change tubing when you put in a new site, right? It seems like in order to do that, I have to take the reservoir out and then rewind and prime. Is that correct? If so, that kinda defeats one of the reasons for not changing the reservoir - not wasting insulin to prime it. Or is the big reason you do it just to conserve reservoirs and save time?

Help me out here, please. :)

ETA: We use Animas Ping, if that matters.

2. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

I think some people don't change the tubing, just the actual infusion part. So that might save you a little time, insulin, and reservoirs. But we change out he whole thing out every time so I'm not speaking from experience. :)

3. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

We change the reservoir and tubing at the same time, and the site by itself. Rarely are they at the same time. We get 3-4 days out of a site but put about 120-130 units in the cartridge and get more like 8 days out of the cartridge. We get fewer days in the summer because I frankly think the insulin in the tubing gets hot and loses its effectiveness, so we put less in the cartridge and change more frequently.

I swear I throw away so much tubing around here, its not even funny - since we don't change it with the site, but with the cartridge, we have a TON extra!

4. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

We have done both, with no real rhyme or reason to it!

5. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

We change the tubing and reservoir together. Typically that's every 6 days or so. Site is changed at 3 days.

6. emm142

emm142 Approved members

When I used less insulin I changed reservoir and tubing ever other set change. The only problems were if I shoved the pump in the pocket of tight jeans too often, the tubing would occasionally start to snap at the top (where it goes into the reservoir).

7. libbymom

libbymom Approved members

So it sounds like it's OK to use the same tubing for 6 days also? I think I'll try that and see how it goes.

Thanks!

8. Brenda

Brenda Junior Member

I recommend changing the tubing more frequently when outside in the heat, esp. at a camp or sporting event when out for multiple hours. Just seems the insulin would boil.

9. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

I change the site only most of the time, but I'm with Brenda, if you don't do a full prime, change the tubing more often.

10. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

We have done this, just prime the tubing to get the insulin out.

11. hawkeyegirl

We've never primed the tubing when we just change the site. I suppose it depends on your child's TDD. Insulin would not sit in Jack's tubing longer than a day.

12. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

I'm very interested in this thread. We always changed the resevoir and tubing with every site change. Now that we've switched to the T-Slim, you have to add about 30-40 more units than we did with the Cozmo -- it takes more to fill the the luer lock part of their tubing, there's a secret reserve of 10 units that doesn't show up, and there's 20 more I can't remember where it goes (but the rep told me, I just forgot). So all that to say we are using more insulin than normal bc of the 40 units extra it takes and we change it every 3 days.

I was always told, or misunderstood that the plastic in the reservoir can cause the insulin to break down and that's why you needed to change it out. Is that true? Also, the T-Slim insulin cartridge is way different than I've ever seen with the vacuum seal technology. I don't know what the inside is made out of.

Do most of you have good luck leaving insulin in the cartridge and/or tubing for a full 6 days (not including the summer heat thing)?

13. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

Not only do we leave the insulin in the reservoir in the pump for 6 days, we also prefill reservoirs on occasion, so insulin can be in them for way more than 6 days. No problems yet!

14. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

You all have inspired me to try something new. Going to try it. Will save time and insulin!

15. hawkeyegirl

We've never prefilled reservoirs, but we always have filled the reservoir to the max, no matter what pump we were on (previously we had a 522MM with a 180 unit reservoir, now we have the t:slim with the 300 unit reservoir). We've never had any issues. I'd probably keep a closer eye on it if my son was outside for hours in 90 degree heat, but when it's that warm, the kids tend to play inside.