- advertisement -

Leaving a tween T1D home alone

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by wearingtaci, Feb 3, 2015.

1. wearingtaci

wearingtaci Approved members

It has begun. Sophie is 12 and doesn't want to run every little errand with me,she wants to be able to stay home alone. She makes the point of she didn't have diabetes we would start leaving her alone around this age. The
    problem is she does have diabetes,is hypo unaware(but does have a dexcom). I can't get over the thought of"if dex doesn't alarm and she doesn't feel a low what could happen".
    How did other parents approach this?

2. jenm999

jenm999 Approved members

I have a 12 year old, but she is not my T1, so take this with a grain of salt... Being alone and demonstrating trustworthiness at this age is really important. Nightscout is what has allowed me to leave my son with caregivers who don't know much about diabetes - I monitor, they agree to keep a cell on their person for instructions. Since you only need Nightscout when she's alone at home, you could even set up the rig without activating on a cell network and just use wi-fi, so the total cost would be under $100 with no recurring cost. I bet she would surprise you -- you might call to have her treat a low and she'll tell you she's already had some juice. They, especially girls, are so great at this age.

3. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

I leave my 12 year old T1 alone as much as I would leave any 12 year old alone. I don't know what else to say except that I really have no major concerns that there is going to be a huge diabetes emergency while I'm at her brother's soccer game. Same contact rules apply when she's alone as when she's at school.

4. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

At 12, we started out with small things. Like I would leave her when I ran her sister over to dance. If it was something longer, I would text when I got there, and text when I was about to leave. We checked BG prior to determine if she needed anything. I would leave her and her sister alone together for longer times, still following same protocol. I do it for both girls, just no BG checks for the non-d one!

Now, she is 13 going on 14. I leave them for close appointments and errands, sometimes hubby and I go out for a quick bite.

Diabetes or no, we did it in baby steps. Wanted to make sure they can handle themselves and situations that may arrive.

5. sszyszkiewicz

sszyszkiewicz Approved members

DS is 12. he has a Dex. If it is for any length of time we use Share. He can happily treat a low without us around.

6. DavidN

DavidN Approved members

My son is 11. It's starting. We will go baby steps as others have said. The new Dexcom receiver (hopefully by March) will help a bunch.

7. nebby3

nebby3 Approved members

It doesn't happen a lot because I have 3 other kids too but I do leave my 12yo T1 home alone. She also goes to birthday parties sleepovers etc and manages her own care (with lots of written instructions from me). I agree that you should start with a half hour or so and work your way up but go for it.

8. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

I leave my 13 yr old type 1 home. Sometimes her brothers are here too, sometimes she's on her own. She wears a Dex and has her cell phone. If she's asleep when I leave, her Dex is in the share so I can see what's going on with my iPhone. If she's awake, I don't make her keep it in the share, but she has to have the Dex and phone with her wherever she goes in the house. I text her periodiclly to see what her number is. Or she'll text me if she's dropping. At this point, it's never been more than an hour on her own. I've left her and her two brothers for longer periods (movie and dinner with my husband ).

Outside of leaving her alone at home,she's been doing sleepovers pretty much since dx 5 years ago, though they aren't my favorite. I don't sleep well. But she does all sorts of activities on her own - mall with friends, movies, all evening long dance classes.

9. BarbDwyer

BarbDwyer Approved members

I leave my 13yo home for an hour or so and for a long time with brothers. He also go places during the day on his own but not really alone. There is someone around that could call 911 at least. No overnights away from me yet. He doesn't wake up to check or for lows.

10. glko

glko Approved members

My DS is soon to be 11 years, dx about 18 months ago. We do leave him home with his twin brother for brief periods to run sister to practice or quick run to grocery store. We do not have Dex. Rule of thumb is test before I leave and he should be >100. He has a cell phone to call if needed. Since only alone for short periods he doesn't eat while I am away.
    We do leave the boys home with older sister who is 13yo for longer periods of 3-4 hours. Test before we leave, if they eat he knows to test and text his BG and photo or #carbs of what he wants to eat to us first.

It is scary for me but I know that I don't want him to grow up feeling that he cannot do things that other children do because of diabetes. I try when possible to minimize impact of diabetes on our lives.

11. msschiel

msschiel Approved members

My 12 year old ds is my T1D and I have left him home on his own occasionally. More often than not his older and younger brother are with him, so it usually isn't an issue. I usually check in on him every hour, especially if by himself. He is good at feeling lows. We will be looking into a dexcom soon.