- advertisement -

Learning disabilities -- Tomatis Method?

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by Budapest, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Budapest

Budapest Approved members

Hi,

It has been I while that I was around here. I came back to look for some sound advice on dealing with the complex learning disabilities of our 7yr old D son.

For over a year he has been attending special sessions with various educators and therapists, but the results are limited.

Recently the Tomatis Method was suggested to deal with the entire problem, instead of separately with each aspect of his learning disability. This method seems to be a big investment both in time and money.

Has anyone tried this method? Do you know anyone who tried it? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks.

2. KRenee

KRenee Approved members

I don't think the Tomatis method is a cure-all. It's been awhile since I was "up" on these treatments, but I do remember that it is one of many tools. There are some training programs that are targeted to the deeper processing level, then the learn to read level, then the working memory level, etc.

You don't say what exactly you are dealing with. Have you had a neuro-psych evaluation?

A neuro-psych can tell you what processes in the brain are functioning at a normal level or high/low. Then you can pick and choose your 'training exercises'. But be aware that they will not recommend anything - they are only in the business to evaluate.

PS. my son did Tomatis when he was 7. He didn't want to be there which is maybe why it didn't seem to effect any change.