- advertisement -

leaky shots

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Boo, Feb 11, 2006.

1. Boo

Boo Approved members

For some reason, over the past week, my sons morning shots (in the arm) have all leaked. His muscle is not flexed, we've been rotating the location of the shot, we've even gone so far as to have him take off his shirt (as opposed to pushing up the sleeve), I've tried slowing down the actual injection, and I am letting go of the pinch before pulling the syringe out.

Does anybody have any suggestions for us? We've been at this almost 2 years now, and this is the first time that this has happened on a regular basis, causing a lot of lunchtime highs, and occasional extra correction shots for him! Please help if you have any ideas, this is very frustrating!

2. AmberO

AmberO Approved members

I was taught to hold the syringe in and count 7 seconds before pulling the shot out.

Also they were absolutely shocked when I came to Finland and found that I was giving shots my daughter shots in the arm. They never really clarified why this was wrong, but I wonder if the arms just don't absorb as well as other places?

3. nantomsuethom

nantomsuethom Approved members

When Thomas was doing shots he would occassionally have the same problem.
    We also were told to keep the needle in for a count of 5 after you let go of the pinch.

4. Boo

Boo Approved members

Thanks, we'll give it a try!

5. Red (aus)

Red (aus) Approved members

Have you heard about 'z tracking' ?
    It's a technique that can be used when given injections and is particularly useful for insulin shots.
    Pinch the skin for the shot and before inserting the needle physically move the lump of skin you're holding slightly to one side. Insert the needle and give the injection, counting to 5. When removing the needle release the pinch. This then changes the line of insertion created by the needle from a straight line from skin to insulin dose to more of a z shape, effectively cutting the line in half and preventing the insulin from leaking back out.

6. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

We had a similiar problem, and were told to not only count to six, but to also rotate the pen or syringe prior to pulling out. Usually, we count to 5 and then rotate and pull out.
    Good luck.

7. Boo

Boo Approved members

:D WOW...talk about learning something new every day! Those are both great tips, that I had not heard before. Thanks!

8. kitty

kitty Approved members

My endo told me to wait 10 seconds before I took the needle out of my skin to avoid leaking (this is especially important with insulin pens!).

Jessie