- advertisement -

Leaking Omnipod

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Junosmom, Jan 14, 2014.

1. Junosmom

Junosmom Approved members

About an hour ago, and of course right before bedtime :(, I smelled insulin and the pod was wet under the window. I called Omnipod and they are sending a replacement pod. This pod was put on about 36 hours ago. We are targeted to wear them 48 hours (per our endo). I asked the customer support what we could have done to prevent this - pinch up more.

My question is this: we'd just bolused for bedtime snack when I noticed. I don't know how much he got. I am going to keep watching, of course, but thought I could run a temporary basal increase as he is now high (260 though steady). Problem is, I haven't experience as to how much or if I should just wait and/or correct via bolus, not basal. These user manuals don't have much in the way of management of highs and lows, just product information. arg.

Any advice?

2. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

Do you have a cde or endo you can call? You are really new to this to have to be figuring it out on your own. How much IOB does he have? You can multiply IOB by ISF to get an idea of how much more your son could potentially drop assuming he got all the insulin that was dosed.

Personally, I would be willing to do a conservative correction in this situation. If you have never done a temp basal before I think that is a bit complicated to be figuring out in the middle of the night with an unknown amount of active insulin in your kid. Using bolus insulin will also let you use the PDM to keep track of IOB. You can raise the dexcom low alarm to 100 in case he drops too quickly.

I don't think the leaking pod has anything to do with pinching. Insulet has a truly remarkable tendency to blame everything on the patient. I have had leaking pods with and without pinching.

ETA: Sorry, just checked my PDM. Omnipod calls ISF the correction factor. To find it go settings -> system setup -> bolus/basal/calcs -> rations/factors/targets-> correction factor. That is how much one unit of insulin theoretically will drop your son's blood sugar. If you multiply it by IOB (found on home screen of PDM) you will find out the most your son's blood sugar will drop based on the amount of insulin currently working in his body.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
  3. Junosmom

Thank you, Meg. I can call the CDE and/or PA tomorrow. If it gets really bad, the endo will answer around the clock. Yes, it certainly feels like I've been thrown in the ocean and told to learn to swim. The office has been very supportive, don't get me wrong, with calls and classes, but it is so much!

The IOB might be wrong, if the dose didn't go in. I think I will do as you say, and use a bolus this time. I'll call tomorrow for more instruction on using temp basal.

4. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

Good luck! It gets easier with time.

I would really suggest ordering the book "Pumping Insulin." In my opinion, it is kind of the bible of insulin pumping. The newer addition is pricy but it does have enough new information that it is probably worth the additional cost over the old one.

http://www.amazon.com/Pumping-Insul...TF8&qid=1389761156&sr=1-1&keywords=1884804128

5. Junosmom

Just got my copy in the mail today! :) Thanks for the encouragement.

6. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

Did you change the POD?

7. Junosmom

Yes, we changed the pod per the Insulet rep's recommendation. I monitored him overnight and used boluses to bring him to 119 this a.m. I think the leak caused some of the high bg. We'd been seeing higher bg readings for a few days, but the night before, I increased the basal rate and it was pretty good. Then last night, not so good. Perhaps leaving honeymooning. Told my husband I think it was the "perfect storm" of things.