- advertisement -

latest Dr Faustman News (Link)

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Andrelaplume, Dec 9, 2011.

1. Andrelaplume

Andrelaplume Approved members

2. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

That's the first I've heard that insulin production was restored in people that had none. Are there more details?

3. Hayden'sMom

Hayden'sMom Approved members

FIngers Crossed over here!!!

4. Andrelaplume

Andrelaplume Approved members

just google Faustman or go to website for details. Its all very interesting. You can search this site too....

5. wilf

wilf Approved members

Thanks for sharing this! :)

6. JaxDad

JaxDad Approved members

From an email I received yesterday. See below contact information.

Thank you for your e-mail and interest in our research! To learn more about Dr. Faustman?s ground-breaking research please view our new website www.faustmanlab.org. Here you can find Dr. Faustman's latest update, our Summer/Fall 2011 newsletter, our most recent publication in PNAS, and information on how to give monetary and research blood donations. In addition, I have attached documents containing particularly exciting and useful information. Please look this information over and get back to me with any questions you may have.

We already have Phase II moving forward; however, we are not yet selecting subjects for Phase II of the trial. If your son would like to be eligible for participation in Phase II, please send in a registration sheet (further instructions below). If you have already submitted a registration sheet for him, then he is already eligible; please do not send in another one. Once we create a list of criteria with the help of the FDA, we will screen our database to select individuals who fit those criteria. How soon this happens depends on the blood and monetary donations we receive; if you can help support our research in these or any other way, we would greatly appreciate it!

In order for your son?s information to be entered into our clinical trial database and to be eligible for Phase II of our clinical trial, we need you to fill out the Faustman Lab Patient Information Sheet (attached or found on our website) for your son and mail/e-mail/fax the form back to me (Note: this act guarantees eligibility; however, we are not yet selecting participants for Phase II). By returning this form, your son will be included in our database (which will be scanned for future trial phase eligibility), and you will also receive our newsletter about 2 times per year.

Again, thank you for your interest, and I look forward to hearing from you!

Take care,

Sophie Leung

Clinical Research Coordinator
    Massachusetts General Hospital - Immunobiology Lab
    Diabetes Research
    CNY, 13th Street, Building 149, Room 3603
    Charlestown, MA 02129
    E-mail: diabetestrial@partners.org
    Phone: 617-726-4084
    Fax: 617-726-4095

7. swellman

swellman Approved members

I am really confused by this information. Why haven't we heard that someone cured, at least temporarily, 100% of the treatment group and 33% of the control group? And not in mice?

Why isn't his all over the news?

How temporary was this transient remission?

8. swellman

If you assume the list is comprehensive that's 5 stories of which 2 are "main stream" and only 1 of those 2 do I consider national. I was thinking CNN, etc. Maybe I just missed it.

9. lakevictoria

lakevictoria Approved members

I agree with Swellman. Our Endo, who specializes in the research at the U, knows nothing of any of this!!! I may have to send her the link. ;)

10. swellman

Then we agree.

11. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

If this really works, why is it only transient? Just trying to understand.

12. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

They just finished Phase I, and I believe Phase II - pending funding - is supposed to take at least 3 years.

13. swellman

If you read the Wall Street Journal article it states "Dr. Faustman said, the plan is for participants to get injections six weeks apart for as long as 18 months."

Although I certainly don't know the theory of how this works, this appears to be a therapy and not a cure. On the other hand, even if the results are transient it may provide key information about the mechanism(s) involved and that can't be bad. To be honest, I'm more concerned with the 33% transient remission in the control group. Statistically, it's a toss up - I'm not sure I would look at those results and conclude anything about efficacy at that point. Six is a really, really small number of people. Given that, if I recall correctly, the study was supposed to be a safety study and no one died then that's a good thing at least.

14. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

15. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

From what I understand there was no remission per se. What was observed was a "transient increase in c-peptide", which theoretically means that insulin was produced. Then again, even in long term diabetics there is generall some c-peptide, it's not "zero" and may vary to some extent on it's own.

16. swellman

That sounds way more complicated than "insulin requirements were temporarily reduced to zero".

17. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

It would be helpful to see the actual published study results. Does anyone have that? Did either of the two people have any actual reduction in insulin needs?

18. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

Where did that quote come from?

19. swellman

Your post says it all.

20. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

Where did that quote come from?