- advertisement -

Last time "D" made you cry

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by eveinthesky, Jun 23, 2010.

1. eveinthesky

eveinthesky Approved members

thank you everyone for all the stories. It took me a while to read them all, but it put me at ease and was worth it.

2. cockatiel

cockatiel Approved members

Last times I cried --

1) My dd was in the locker room at her fife and drum corps changing. One of the moms of a boy in the corps came in to use the bathroom and noticed my dd's pump. She commented that she didn't know dd had diabetes. My dd was very proud that she has coped with her D well enough that some of the people affiliated with the corps don't know she has D. <Tears. What a crazy reason for being proud!>

2) I've been going around and around with the College Board about accommodations for the SAT. What a crazy world it is when my biggest concern about my dd's taking the SAT isn't how well she is prepared or how well she'll do but just the logistics of the testing environment! <tears of frustration>

3) My dd mumbled when she announced that she had made a mistake in her bolus. My dh heard that she overbolused by 7.2. I heard that she overbolused by 27.2!!!!! (Yes, her pump wouldn't let her do that, but when I heard the number I wasn't analyzing the likelihood of her doing it -- I was trying to solve the problem!) I stood up, adrenaline rushing, prepared to fight tigers, grab sugar, dial 911, only to find out that dd had overbolused by .7. No big deal. I sat and cried my heart out over that scare.

3. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

I am absolutely shocked by this statement & the total lack of compassion & obvious lack of knowledge behind it! Surely this could not have been said by someone living with this disease!

I believe each & every member of CWD is a success story simply because they do live life, even in the face of constant daily battles with a disease that be so completely & frustratingly unpredictable.

There is strength in numbers & power in knowledge. So if we come here to draw strength from the support & learn from the years of experience of the CWD membership, we're somehow lesser or weaker than those who would choose not to? I'm sorry, I can't follow that kind of logic.

4. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

Wow. This person knows not of what they speak. Success is many things to many people. I appreciate this poem, and it reminds me of those I've met along my journey here on CWD.

Success

by Ralph Waldo Emerson

To laugh often and much;
    To win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children;
    To earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends;
    To appreciate beauty,
    To find the best in others,
    To leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition;
    To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived.
    This is to have succeeded.

5. shekov

shekov Approved members

Yesterday.

I cry often. It's who I am and how I release my stress. Everyone is different and handle things in their own way and at their own pace.

6. Mom2Will

Mom2Will Approved members

Monday, dropped Will off at Camp Coqui and there were so many cwd:cwds:.

7. KelliTwins

KelliTwins Approved members

The last time I cried was when Greg asked me during dinner why I decided to become a teacher instead of a doctor. I gave him the usual answers..."I love being with kids...love teaching kids new things...etc." His response: "Yeah, I know, but if you were a doctor, you could make me a new body. I hate this body, because this body has diabetes." Ugh. He catches me off guard with these statements, and it always makes me cry.:(

8. gradysmom

gradysmom Approved members

Honey! Believe me we all fall victim to overwhelming emotions, battle-weary usually, lack of sleep, no one to talk to, that kind of thing.

The last time I let myself cry was in January when Ethan had a massive seizure and we rushed him to the hospital. We've been battling this disease for 11 years and two boys and somedays so help me it gets the better of me. For the most part I refuse to let it take over this family. Sure there are bad days but it's only one part of the day, there are still people to see, places to go, sports to cheer, hugs, supper, bath and bed. Our house has a predictable routine, a normal chaos you could say. Ready for anything and everything.....hoping nothing at all happens!

I remember what it was like 11 years ago with Grady and then 3.5 years ago with Ethan. Trust me when I tell you slowly but surely you will regain your confidence. When Grady was diagnosed a night nurse took me on a walk that I will never forget. I was sitting on the floor crying because I had no choice I had to give him his first injection in the morning. My husband had been doing it up until then. I was deep in denial....if I didn't do it there was no way they would let us leave. Some of the sleeping little faces I saw that night I am sure must be in Heaven. From the looks of there rooms there was barely room for the child in the bed with all the machines and tubes! Some had no regular visitors/family to speak of....can you imagine.
    I can tell you as sure as anything that was one of the last nights I have ever spent feeling helpless. I wake up every day armed with the knowlege I need to help my boys through as normal a life as I can.
    It is your new "job" to manage this disease for your child and guide her until she can do it for herself! I know it seems impossible but embrace it and be the best you can be. When I've taught those around me and they get it and care for my sons as I would....I'm telling you....those are great days!
    Take care hon and private message any time!
    Sue

9. PatriciaMidwest

PatriciaMidwest Approved members

Well, I probably cry more than I'm willing to admit. It's ok though, I usually feel better afterwards. Too much of our day/life seems centered around D, and ignoring it would be nice but of course not an option.

We've also had way more than our fair share of doctor appts this summer, which is a constant reminder of D. DD started seeing a chiropractor and that turned into a 3x a week commitment and talk about how it could improve her D. I just can't do that anymore, it's not how I want my DD to remember her summer.

10. Mistync991

Mistync991 Approved members

it will get easier..you will still have days or moments here and there but not like now ...when dd was first dx it was the last straw for me i had been really sick and had a major surgerie 12 weeks prior that i was still recovering from, her father was no help they didnt even drive the 15 min. to see her the 4 days she was in the hospital i just couldnt take any more but with help i made it through and we are where we are now almost 3 years later it will get better some i promise

11. MySweethearts

MySweethearts Approved members

The last time I cried, to really had to blink back tears and try my best not to. It was at one of Luke's baseball pratices and a dad of another teammate was telling me that Luke is such a kind child and hopes his kindness will rub off on the others. I always get misty eyed people do talk good about Luke because what pops in my head is all what Luke has been through.