- advertisement -

Last minute Low carb meals

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by susanlindstrom16, Jul 17, 2017.

1. susanlindstrom16

susanlindstrom16 Approved members

Hi everyone!
    I'm hoping to get some suggestions for some easy low carb meals to have in my back pocket- mainly for the nights when you have one thing planned for dinner but then it turns out your kid was running high and you'd rather not add a bunch of carbs to the equation. I'm not very creative at cooking in general so I'm hoping I can tap into some of the culinary genius out there.

Right now I have:
    Omelettes

...and that's it.

2. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

My son likes grilled chicken salads a lot. You can also get those low-carb wraps or tortillas (are they 9 carbs? 12 carbs? something like that), and stuff them with deli meat or grilled chicken.

3. Snowflake

Snowflake Approved members

Taco bar? Hard-shelled corn tacos are 9-12 carbs, and you can load them up with goodies to make them filling.

Same thing with corn-tortilla quesdadillas - depending on the brand, it's about 20 carbs for a quesadilla with 2 tortillas. You can stuff them with protein and cheese, and then you can add relatively low carb veggie sides like avocado slices, bell peppers, atc.

Keeping with the Tex-Mex theme: you can also do burrito bowls -- in other words, no tortilla, but all of the burrito fillings like meat, beans, cheese, pico, guac, etc.

This is a great question -- I'm looking forward to more suggestions!

4. Just Jen

Just Jen Approved members

Green Giant sells riced veggies in a couple of different combos. These can easily be steamed in the bag in a microwave as a low carb side with any kind of meat. Or, you can rice your own cauliflower in a food processor and use it in anything you would normally use rice for to lower the carb count.

We also like the bowl meals and do taco bowls, Asian bowls (using rice noodles mixed with bagged cole slaw to cut the carbs), and baked potato bowls (using mashed cauliflower mixed with potatoes to cut the carbs.)

5. joshualevy

joshualevy Approved members

My advice for lower carb meals, is remove the high carb side dish, and go from there.

First, start with any meat:
    flank steak, hamburgers (no patty), grilled fish, sausage (or hot dogs, no bun), lamb chops, meatloaf, chicken, etc.

Then add a non-carb side that you family likes:
    salad (dozens to choose from), grilled mushrooms, onions, asparagus, artichoke, coleslaw, collard greens. (If your family likes cauliflower, broccoli, etc. you can add those.)

You can also try stuff like crustless quiche.
    Many soups are low-carb, and stews can be low carb, if you avoid potatoes and carrots.
    Stuffed mushrooms.

Joshua

6. kim5798

kim5798 Approved members

Eggs. Omelet, scrambled with cheese, boiled & topping a salad, lots of ways to go here. Add veggies for more food volume.