- advertisement -

Lantus when & why

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Tyates2co, Jan 1, 2020.

1. Tyates2co

Tyates2co New Member

Hi all,
    Only been living with our 15 YO son's T1D for a few months now. Gotta say that this forum and others have been great stress relievers for all the questions.
    So, since his DKA / diagnosis on November 10th, he's been on a nighttime Lantus dose.

1. Forgot to give his Lantus last night - first time for that. Guess we just wait until tonight for the next dose at the usual time and monitor thru Dexcom CGM, check for ketones if over 300 twice in a row (per the instructions from the Barbara Davis Center). Not sure what else we need to do other than set a daily alarm to remind us so we don't forget again.

2. What's the reason/benefit of Lantus in the morning vs nighttime? We were told it should be the same time every day, otherwise not sure.

3. Others mention splitting the dose? I figure can't have too much info.

Thanks!

2. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

At diagnosis, our endo wanted us dosing Lantus in the morning so that if it peaked, it wouldn't cause nighttime lows (no cgm for the first year). When she had significant dawn phenomenon, we switched her Lantus to morning so that it helped with her nighttime climbing BG. We did the switch over several days with dosing twice per day and changing 1 unit per day of when it was given until the entire amount was switched.

Have you called in to tell them you forgot the basal? We once went overnight without basal because of a pump failure, but rather than put her back onto Lantus, I injected her every two hours with the approximately amount of Humalog she would have received through the pump (3 units every two hours rather than 1.6 unit per hour) and kept a close eye on the cgm. She stayed safely between 100 & 200 until the replacement pump arrived the next morning. I wouldn't want to do the every two hour dosing as a regular event, but it worked for the short term to keep her out of DKA.

Welcome to the club none of us wanted our kids (and us by extension) to join. Make sure to take care of yourself as well as him. Diabetes takes a toll both physically and emotionally. It can really drain one after while.

3. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

I meant to say we switched her Lantus to evening, not morning.