- advertisement -

Lantus solostar pens - can you refrigerate after opening?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by twodoor2, Jun 17, 2008.

1. twodoor2

twodoor2 Approved members

I received some pens from my Endo's office to try out. I am going to use the syringe with them since it doesn't do quarter units. I really got them to just get extra Lantus. The box says not to refrigerate the pens, but I know that if I don't refrigerate Lantus, it loses potency. What is your take on this? Why can't they be refrigerated?

2. Shannon's Mom

Shannon's Mom Approved members

You can refrigerate the pens if they have not been opened (once used - needle screwed on and insulin administered). Once you have used one, you cannot refrigerate it again and it is good for 28 days (although ours seem to lose potency before the 28 days.) I did call the company about this because I had used one and then refrigerated it and they said to toss it. But ones not used can be refrigerated until the expiration date. Sorry - don't know the reason :)

3. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

I don't understand the reason, either. Maybe refrigerating it messes up with the mechanical aspects of the pen. But if you can re-refrigerate a vial after it's been opened, why would be so bad in the pen? I'd call the company and ask.

4. still..hopeful

still..hopeful Approved members

I just went to get my box of pens out of the refrig. We have always kept ours in the refrig. along with the Novalog. We were told by the hospital it was ok. It never seemed to make a difference with her. I wonder what the reason is. We are going to toss and open a new pen. I hope now she won't go low on us because the pen maybe stronger. I guess it maybe a long night.:eek:
    Angie

5. Shannon's Mom

Shannon's Mom Approved members

Check on the back of the box and the insert (also their website.) It says:

"Once you take your SoloStar out of cool storage, for use or as a spare, you can use it for up to 28 days. During this time it can be safely kept at room temperature of up to 86 degrees F away from direct heat and light. Do not use it after this time. SoloStar in use must not be stored in a refrigerator."

I cannot find anywhere on the insert the reason for this. The web site does say that a vial of Lantus can go back in the refrigerator.

6. buggle

buggle Approved members

I have no choice but to keep opened lantus pens, as well as the novolog pen in the fridge. Our place gets so hot, the insulin would be ruined otherwise. I've seen no problem. I take it out a little while before the shot to let it warm up a bit and put it back in the fridge afterwards. Does anyone know of any reason why it would be wrong to do this? The vials are stored open in the fridge. The insulin is exactly the same in the pen as the vial as far as I know.

7. twodoor2

twodoor2 Approved members

Wow Monica, is there anything you don't know!!?? I'm not planning to use the needles that come with the pen since I dose by the quarter unit. Therefore, I will just use the syringe to pull the Lantus out of the pen (I was told I could do that).

Thanks so much!!!

8. RosemaryCinNJ

RosemaryCinNJ Approved members

Marsha...we do that here all the time, use a syringe to pull it out of the pen. I like the pen, DH likes the syringe...He actually hates the pen. Men! :)

9. Zia

Zia New Member

The Answer to WHY You Should Not Refrigerate Your Lantus SoloStar Pen

i contacted Sanofi-Aventis the manufacturer of the Lantus SoloStar Pen @1800-981-2491 & ask them the question of "Why should we not refrigerate our SoloStar Pen after opening?" -

The rep informed me that the main reason was because it could be contaminated with "Refrigerated air" i assume this could mean chemical or food contamination wise -

The second reason she gave was because refrigeration after opening causes the insulin to lose its potency faster than not doing so.

There you go folks! I had a lot of trouble ?not? finding the answer on the web or the company website & from the looks of these postings you guys did too. So I hope this helps. ;)

10. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

I can't decide if this is the funniest or the scariest thing I have seen all day. "Refrigerated air"?? Really?? Wow.

11. caspi

caspi Approved members

I see this is your first post. Welcome! And wow this is a really old thread! How on earth did you find it?

12. Zia

Zia New Member

hey im just telling you what they told me - im new at all this diabetes stuff & just trying to find out as much as i can - like i said in my original post i assume that by refrigerated air she may have meant from the chemicals in coolant or the chance that it may come into contact with food - idk but i also posted the number so anyone who wanted to call for themselves could do so.:rolleyes:

13. Zia

Zia New Member

im new at this diabetes stuff so as you can imagine i had alot of questions - the two i had that i didnt happen to remember to ask my doctor was the whole "dont refrigerate after opening" because we "of course" refrigerated mine so i didnt know if it was a possible dangerous issue for me so i started researching & let me tell you it was in no small part a pain in the butt to find out. i would have better luck finding a pot of gold - and the 2nd was about bubble in the Lantus Pen - When i couldnt find the answer myself i called the manufacturer - i read how many people were having the same problem in finding out so i decided to post my findings . . . . even though it was old news :D

14. monkeyschool

monkeyschool Approved members

We had the same question. In the hospital they told us to refrigerate it (and they did so while we were in the hospital for us). I continued to refrigerate it, but after a weeks or so DD complained that it would burn when injected and it was getting worse and worse. I read the insert and it said they mustnbe refrigerated when unopened (which left some info up to my imagination) so I called the endos office and the nurse told me I did nit 'need' to refrigerate it, not that I couldn't though. She told me kids complain more when it is cold so I have since left it out ofnthe fridge...but my original could vs should question was never answered. Although it still burns a bit, moreso whe we get past a few weeks of use, it is much more tolerable than before. We did not have issues with numbers when it was refrigerated, just the burning.