- advertisement -

Lantus and vacation ideas

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Sari, Jul 18, 2013.

1. Sari

Sari Approved members

So when we go away on vacation we try taking Ross off the pump for his basals and do Lantus for long acting insulin and bolus with the pump. (recommended by the Dr the first time we ever did a vacation like this) Generally he tends to run very high when we do this. His Total daily dosage is 8.45U Even if I give him 9U of LAntus he still runs high.

Do any of you experts out there have any ideas for me as to what you do? We will be in the water most of the day which is why we want to do Lantus. If we just do the pump and let his activity level keep him in check for the day he skyrockets the second half of the day.

It's almost like a no win situation.
    thanks in advance for the suggestions!

2. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Not really expert advice here but if 9 units of lantus is not enough in your experience, then try a higher dosage until you figure out what works.

3. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

If you don't want to bother with Lantus, you could rehook up on the pump each hour and bolus his basal each hour (or 1/2 basal if he's active in the water and carb as needed), you'll avoid the highs later. We've never done it for more than 3 hours, though, but it could be done...just a hassle to keep track of when it's needed.

4. Shopgirl2091

Shopgirl2091 Approved members

I would second Christopher and up the Lantus - you could always do it just one or two units at a time to see what helps.

5. Mom264

Mom264 Approved members

When we use Lantus to cover basal I try to start the Lantus 4 or 5 days early. Those first few days I also find her numbers run high and need
    correction boluses. But after a few days the Lantus seems to settle in.

6. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

Seeing all the issues with switching to Lantus, I was going to suggest this. I know when you go from Lantus to the pump, you start the basal low due to the Lantus being in the system and then build up, so why not do the opposite when you know you will be on Lantus?

7. tammy82

tammy82 Approved members

I might have to try this also for our next vacation in a few weeks. We just got back a few days ago from a beach vacation and had my daughter off the pump for hours at a time. She definitely went high for hours afterwards and want to avoid that this time.

8. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

It takes us a good 5-6 days to get things hammered out, and sometimes longer. We find that Levimere doesn't work the 24 hours for us so we hook up again around 8pm and do a out 30% of what her normal basal would be. Unhook again around 8:30am and then give shot.