- advertisement -

Lancets and finger prick techniques?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by tina, Jun 27, 2011.

1. tina

tina Approved members

Hello,

I am sorry not to start an intro, but I wanted to post a question right away. Last week my 4 yo son was diagnosed with type 1, and we are having issues with the lancets not piercing his skin and/or drawing so little blood that we cant test. We raised the setting to the maximum of 7 on the OneTouch Delica and dad is up to the 8th prick in one setting. We finally have just given up and are feeding him lunch and going to try the Accu-clix mutliclix as at the hosiptal, it seemed more reliable.

Do you guys have suggestions? Please feel free to point me to threads.

2. bnmom

bnmom Approved members

Hi Tina,

Are you using the side of his finger? The fingertip pad (front of finger) is thicker skin, so the top sides of fingers work best for us.

Sometimes we have to 'milk' the finger to get enough of a drop to come out (take thumb and forefinger of other hand and squeeze the poked finger from the base to tip to push blood toward the pricked part)

Hope that helps, that's all I've got.

Good luck and sorry about your son's dx :cwds:

3. Alex's Dad

Alex's Dad Approved members

Hi welcome to the forum, sorry you have to be here. We use the Delica as well and for us the 1 setting is enough sometimes even draws too much blood. But other times its hard to get a sample even in the higher setting, I would change the lancet to see if you have more luck if not then you need another lancing device, we used the regular one touch device with the tiniboys lancets and it worked great its even smaller than the delica, also try the multiclix some people do very well with it. The regular One touch lancets are too big for us. Good luck :cwds:

ETA: As other have said, try "milking" the finger and use the side.

4. kimmcannally

kimmcannally Approved members

We always have to "milk" the finger, and a few times when we pricked twice because the first one didn't take, we ended up getting blood out of both pricks when we milked the second one! Try milking it from different angles before you give up and prick again. J has been diagnosed over a year now and we only use 1 1/2 setting on the multiclix.

5. swimmom

swimmom Approved members

We didn't have much luck when we tried the Delicas. We like the Multi Clix much better. I know it seems awful to have to push in with the lancet device on a little finger, but it's better to make contact and get the blood on the first try, so you might need to use a little more pressure.

6. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

I would suggest milking the finger before you lance it. Have the finger tip pointing toward the ground and gently squeeze the finger and slide down in a downward motion maybe two or three times. This gets all the blood to the end of the finger.

If you milk After you lance (and you do it too hard) you risk squeezing the interstitial fluid (fluid between the tissue cells) out with the blood and that may effect your reading.

I agree with using the sides of the finger, not the pad or the tip. I would also suggest trying the Delica lancer and the Freestyle meter. The Freestyle uses the smallest blood sample size in the world. With the new butterfly test strips, you literally only need a speck of blood to get a reading. Good luck.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
  7. William

William Approved members

Agree with using the Freestyle Lite meter. You only need a tiny amount plus the Lite has a light to see what you are doing if testing at night while sleeping.

8. tina

tina Approved members

Thank you guys very much!

We were poking the side, but not with much luck.

The accu-clix seems to be working much better, but the suggestions of milking before lancing and the freestyle meter sound very good.

Also, thank you for the kind thoughts...they mean a great deal.

9. McKenna'smom

McKenna'smom Approved members

Also, have your son shake his hands down by his side to get the blood flowing before checking.

10. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Along with the great advice already given, I would not be raising the lancet setting yet. It, IMO, should work on the lowest setting for such a young dx.

Another thing is that I remember early on I was afraid to press too much onto the finger, so I ended up not poking at all a few times. Perhaps it's that too?

11. mommabear

mommabear Approved members

We do this and also sometimes I have to sort of pinch his finger while we poke it. I hope this helps, Tina. Good luck and welcome to the forum:cwds:

12. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

Hmmmm...I never thought of trying this...good idea! Thanks!:)

13. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Ditto this, delicas were not a good fit for my son (teenager with tough skin!). Multiclix are the best for him. Side of the finger works best.

14. HanksMom

HanksMom Approved members

Make sure you are making contact with lancing device and the finger. Not really "pressing in," but definitely touching. This should definitely allow you to use a lighter setting. Practice on yourself to get a feel for it. Good luck!

15. MamaTuTu

MamaTuTu Approved members

Great advise, I will "milk" DD finger before pricks from now on, I have never thought of that...

Also welcome to CWD this is such a wonderful place to come for questions, support, and laughs!

16. ashadams

ashadams Approved members

I would suggest using the FreeStyle Lite Meter also. My son was diagnosed about a month ago and we rarely have problems with this meter. Make sure you are poking the sides of the fingers. I also would recommend alternating fingers. For some reason, my son's fingers are getting a little bruised, so we have been making sure not to poke the same finger in a day. Good luck!