- advertisement -

Lack of growth (height) since diagnosis-any thoughts?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Mom2Boys, Feb 24, 2009.

1. Mom2Boys

Mom2Boys Approved members

My son was always in the 90th percentile or above for height since he was born. Since his diagnosis (May 2008) he has hardly grown at all and is now only in the 30-40th percentile for height. His weight has increased and he seems to be growing fine in that area--just not height. Is there anything I should be concerned about? He eats a well-balanced diet so don't think it's related to that. We had his thyroid checked in the past several months and the results came back fine.

I guess at first when I noticed it I kind of chalked it up to being newly diagnosed and his body just getting re-adjusted, but now I'm not so sure. He has an endo appt in a couple weeks so we'll ask them again, but so far they have been unconcerned. Has anyone else experienced this? Any thoughts?

He was 36.5 inches at his 2 year visit and now he is 37.5 inches at 3 years.

2. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

Ian went his entire first year after dx without growing not one little smidge. The endo said it was ok. He picked back up since but has never made up the growth that he lost.

3. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

Well, I don't know specifically about the growth but he seems about normal for height. Emma is 41" at 4 years old and is near the 75%. We measured her against the mark on the door for my son at 4 and they are basically the same - and he was about 50%.

I would definitely keep checking his Thyroid and keep an eye on the growth but they do tend to slow down after the huge amount of growth their first few years.

4. Reese'sMom

Reese'sMom Approved members

Has he been checked for hypothyroid? This often goes hand in hand with type 1, and if his thyroid is underactive, it will slow his growth.

Please talk to your endo about having his blood tested to rule this in or out.

5. jcanolson

jcanolson Approved members

Does your endo do Celiac screening regularly?

6. BozziesMom

BozziesMom Approved members

Boz has gained two pounds and no inches since last May. And he's tested negative for thyroid, et al. They ran all the tests. So I don't know.

7. Jacque471

Jacque471 Approved members

Hmm, I think I need to measure Logan and see if he has gotten any taller since his last well baby visit on 10/2 which was 3 weeks prior to diagnosis. I know they have measured him at each Endo visit, but honestly I haven't paid any attention since I was just trying to keep him from running off and/or screaming.

8. Mom2Boys

We had his thyroid checked a few months ago and he his levels are fine. We will keep having it checked every so often, but so far it doesn't seem to be the problem.

Luke did not have a celiac screening at diagnosis (I guess they forgot to do it). His regular pediatrician did an allergy test that included gluten, but I don't think it was the celiac panel that was supposed to be done. I will be looking into that at the next endo appt and probably making them run the right test. This may be TMI but he does seem to poop a lot--not diarrhea, but mushy, large and atleast 1 or 2 times a day. Not sure if that can be a sign of celiac, but he seems to poop more than he eats! He is gaining weight well though.

I know that being in 37.5 inches isn't abnormal for a 3 year old, but it's just that he went from the 90th percentile or above down to the 30-40th in a year. That tells me that he has not maintained his normal growth pattern.

Thanks for all the input!

9. suzyq63

suzyq63 Approved members

Alison has not grown much since diagnosis and she has also lost about 15 pounds over the past year. She too has always been at the high end of the charts for both height and weight, but not any more. The endo is going to review her charts, check bone growth/plates, and such at our next visit. Because Alison just turned 12, she should be growing at a pretty fast pace right now, but it's not happening.

Hope you are able to get some answers.

10. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

I would push for the celiac panel sooner than later, if only to rule it out. Any change in growth patterns, either height or weight, is a matter for concern. Any pediatrician can order it, and many endocrinologists include it as normal testing after a T1 diagnosis.

11. wilf

wilf Approved members

How have his blood sugars and A1Cs been since Dx?

12. Mom2Boys

His most recent A1c was 6.5%. He was 8.9 at diagnosis, a couple weeks later 8.7, then 6.7 and now 6.5. I think his BGs are pretty good, but we do have a fair amount of fluctuations: partially because of his insulin/carb sensitivity and partially due to a long honeymoon that throws us a lot of curve balls. Until last month he did not receive any insulin overnight and would go to sleep and wake up with good BGs. His I:C ratios are 1:18, 1:40, and 1:30. His ISF is between 350 and 400. His total basal is 2.9 units per day.

Probably weren't asking for all that, but that's where we're at with everything.

13. wilf

wilf Approved members

Wow, you are doing really well! :)

I agree with others that the height question is worth pursuing, but it's clearly not related to the D management..

14. jcanolson

jcanolson Approved members

I wonder if it a "honeymoon thing". My dd sprouted after dx, but she had stopped growing for the few months prior. We figure she was honeymooning before dx because she definitely didn't afterward.

Just a thought.

15. Mom2Boys

That's an interesting idea! I guess we'll know more if he starts growing again soon because I think his honeymoon is pretty much over now.

16. Snowbound

Snowbound Approved members

Our son was the opposite, he's grown quite a bit in the year since he was dx. He's always been big (10 lbs at birth) and he's now slightly taller and about 20 lbs heavier than his bean-pole brother who's 2-1/2 years older.

He's not overweight but we worked with the dietician last summer to cut back his diet by a couple of choices.

17. dqmomof3

dqmomof3 Approved members

Jayden completely stopped growing for almost a year before diagnosis. Her feet even stayed the same size, she wore the same clothes for two years, etc.. I just attributed it to her being small :-(. Anyway, after diagnosis she grew four inches and gained twenty pounds. I agree with the honeymoon theory...our honeymoon happened before diagnosis. I bet your little guy picks up soon!

18. mishcoto

mishcoto Approved members

Cole was always in the 90th percentile and has stayed there since his diagnosis 4 years ago, so maybe type 1 has nothing to do with it? I don't know!

19. nobodybutjustme

nobodybutjustme Approved members

i agree that it does not sound related to diabetic management, but . . it could be related to autoimmune conditions in generaly, so definitely keep a close watch on thyroid, since autoimmune problems go hand-in-hand. BUT also, perhaps they need to monitor for growth hormone deficiency. One of my non-D kids had a growth hormone problem. The dr will keep close growth charts and if your child 'falls off' his own growth curve, he is suspect. The next step is a simple bone scan - to allow them to figure bone age vs chronological age. If there is a problem, your child would take one injection of growth hormone daily.
    we have a handful of autoimmune issues floating around in our family and another one of my kids is going thru this same process right now.
    Hope all goes well for you!! :)

20. DadCares

DadCares Approved members

Celiac joined our family within the past 2 months. Our daughter is age 8 and was diagnosed with type 1 3-1/2 years ago. Her A1Cs have been good. But she wasn't growing and started having a lot of headaches this fall. She didn't have any of the other symptoms we've typically heard about celiac. Our endo planned to screen her for celiac at the 5 year mark unless she showed symptoms. We wouldn't have screened for celiac now if my wife hadn't pushed for this. Thanks to my wife, our daughter's body isn't suffering through this hidden disease anymore.

In your situation, you are simply trying to eliminate variables. If he proves negative for celiac, you'll have some peace of mind.