- advertisement -

Kylie just had a seizure! I'm still shaking!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by tiffanie1717, Sep 23, 2009.

1. tiffanie1717

tiffanie1717 Approved members

I hate this disease! I can't stop crying! that was the worst experience of my life!

We were sleeping we heard this weird yell noise. I thought someone was having a dream. We heard it again. We went to check it out. At first I thought Kylie was having a night terror, but I quickly realized it was a seizure!!

I was so panicked I wasn't sure what to do. I did cake gel in her mouth, but I think I should have done the glucagon! We took her blood sugar about a minute in and she was 63- not really what I thought would cause a seizure! We took it again just a few minutes after some juice and she was 80 and 108 and now 113. She won't drink any more juice and she just wants to go back to sleep.

I am so freaked out! How do I ever let it go and not be so worried again?

Should she go to school if her numbers are better? I gave her a temp basal of 75% but is that enough? too much? how long? what are other after effects of a seizure?

I know you're supposed to have them run higher the next day to restore glucagon, right?

I hate this disease!!

2. tiffanie1717

Great! Now she just threw up. Is it from the seizure or juice? Or do you think she's getting sick and that's what caused the seizure?
    She's totally with us now, by the way. Which was a total relief!

3. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

How scary! I think I'd still be shaking too...
    I don't know how you never be worried again :(
    I think you have to see how she is in the morning to see about going to school or not. I hope there is no more vomiting for you and things come right quickly.

Take Care:cwds:

4. miss_behave

miss_behave Approved members

Sorry, I don't have any experience/advice but I just wanted to say I'm so sorry, that must have been so scary. I'll be thinking of you guys :)

5. lynn

lynn Approved members

Oh, I'm so, so sorry.:( I think I would check in with the endo before sending her to school. Our office wants to know if a seizure happens anyway and they could make you feel confident about sending her.

6. Deannas mom

Deannas mom Approved members

How is she now? check ketones...call endo...she is probably going to feel really tired from having the seizure, I would keep her home

7. tiffanie1717

update: she's staying home. She's thrown up again (2 more times). The endo wondered if she was getting sick because he said 63 wasn't a # that usually resulted in a seizure. So getting sick may make them more prone to seizures?

She's sleeping on the couch now. I totally want to check her, but hate to wake her up. I'll check her anyway. She can go back to sleep.

I hope that this panicky feeling eventually goes away.

8. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

I'm so sorry. It really is a frightening experience.

1. Let the endo know what happened.
    2. Watch her for the next 24 hours as there is the possibiity of another episode, and she is likely to trend low even if there is no repeat.
    3. The nausea is likely a result of the body's own correction (which can explain the 63 as a first reading - we've never had a particularly low reading during a seizure). The nausea can also be a reaction to the seizure activity. In either case, it is not uncommon.
    4. Tom always is pretty wiped post-seizure. I would keep Kylie home.

9. vettechmomof2

vettechmomof2 Approved members

I am so sorry for you all.:(
    Glad to hear that she is staying home. We really struggled after Lil's seizure to keep her blood glucose # over 100 but our endo wanted us to try and run her higher for a few days as the tendency to have another seizure is easier.

You will get over it as best as you can but for a while you will have the extra fear of what if, it does get better but it will take time. Hang in there and just know that we are all here for you.

Take care,
    Allene

10. GaPeach

GaPeach Approved members

Tiffanie,

I am so sorry to hear about Kylie. I hope she begins to feel better as the day goes on.

I haven't experienced a seizure with our DD yet. I can only imagine what you are going through.

Other posters who have "been there" have given you some sound advice. What an awesome source of comfort and support we find in this forum.

11. timnshann

timnshann Approved members

Oh Tiffanie you must be emotionally torn up right now. I'm so sorry this happened but I'm glad you some good advice from here from those who have been through it. We are thinking about you guys today and we hope she feels better.

12. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

definitely keep her home and keep in touch with the endo.
    The vomiting can be from the seizure. She may feel really wiped out for a day or two.
    Our post seizure numbers have never been terribly low either.
    I would also let her run a bit higher for at least a day or two until she's feeling better and eating & drinking normally. We usually just do lantus and only correct with novo over about 270.
    Check sugars and ketones often. We usually check every 2 hours until he's back to his normal self - that can take a couple of days.

Hang in there.

13. hold48398

hold48398 Approved members

How frightening :(. I am so sorry, honey. :(

14. wdhinn89

wdhinn89 Approved members

Wow, how scary! I would have kept her home too.

Keep us posted.

15. gboysmom

gboysmom Approved members

Oh, Tiff...thinking of you guys...let us know how she is when you can! :cwds:

16. dqmomof3

dqmomof3 Approved members

So sorry that happened...you handled it just fine. Take a deep breath and let yourself believe she is ok, because she is. It happened, and you handled it. I hope it never happens again, but give yourself, and your little girl, a big hug!

17. annaluvspink

annaluvspink Approved members

Hopefully time will ease your mind and rebuild your confidence. Thoughts, hugs and prayers are being sent your way. I'm sorry--this disease sucks.

Michelle

18. samheis

samheis Approved members

That sounds so scary. You've got this. We are all here to talk if you need.

19. betty6333

betty6333 Approved members

I'm so sorry. (( HUGS))
    That would scare me too.:(
    I hope the rest of the day is better. I am glad she is ok now!

20. goochgirl

goochgirl Approved members

Poor thing. Give her a big hug from me! And sending you some cyber chocolate.