- advertisement -

Kuddos for my DD, what about yours?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by MommytoCsquared, Apr 25, 2012.

1. MommytoCsquared

MommytoCsquared Approved members

This is probably the one place that I can crow about how well my son is dealing with his D, and people will not only understand but take away a real smile.

We have been pumping for two weeks. Connor is very active and our support system (including my husband) didn't see the need to change from MDI. I talked everyone around, but I was getting nervous about my choice right up to pump start day.

Above all, my family's fears were that he would be hampered, or tethered, by the pump. That our poor little baby would be attached to this thing from now on and that it would change the way he played and interacted with the world. (or in my mom's case, how she played with him out of fear of hurting his sites.) This worried me, as I was trying to find a more precise way to deliver insulin and essentially "untether" him from the shots. The other big ticket item was the fact that we were "sticking something into him" that was much larger than our nano needles for the pen.

I wanted the pump to be a positive change for Connor. He deserves so much, and I am so very proud of how well he has managed. I figured we would have issues with keeping a pouch on, not pulling on the tube, sleeping on, over and around the pump and the tube. I am assuming it is the same worries all parents have.

Connor has handled this change like a champ. Last night's site change went so well. No fighting, no crying, no complaining. He laid on his tummy, put his chin in his hands and let me do everything (even removing the tagaderm, which is the part he doesn't like the most). When I was done, he gave me a kiss and said, "Good job, Mommy."

And I was beaming...because really, it is more like wonderful job Connor. He isn't only handling the infusion sets well, he tolerates his finger pokes so much better and "talks" me through changing his pouch and taking the pump off for baths. "No don't touch; it is MY pump," he will say, just as proud of the pump as he is of his favorite carstuffed animal that he takes with him EVERYWHERE. He has truly accepted the pump in his life and seems to understand how it is helping him.

I couldn't be more proud and humbled.

So, thanks for listening to me brag. What has your D done recently that made you stop and smile in awe or pride or love...or let's face it with a mixture of all three because D kids are amazing!

2. sooz

sooz Approved members

What a great kid! He melted my heart when he said good job mommy!

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Sweet. :cwds: You're doing a great job, and so, obviously, is he ;)

4. goochgirl

goochgirl Approved members

Aww, so sweet! These children adapt so well and know no fear! That reminded me of my son when he got his pump. His first few baths were with his pump on, because he refused to let me take it off.

5. tiger7lady

tiger7lady Approved members

I was worried about all those things as well but what surprised me was when Vincent started he would say to me at least once a day how much he LOVED having a pump.

Lately I have been very proud of my son because he has really taken it upon himself to use carb factors and weigh everything on his own.

All these little steps they take...all great accomplishments.

6. mom2Hanna

mom2Hanna Approved members

This isa post that makes me wish there was a "like" button here! What a sweet boy you have!

7. MommytoCsquared

MommytoCsquared Approved members

Yes, he is a sweetie. I adore my little guy...he can definitely be a handful ;) but he has those wonderful moments that make your heart melt.

I know that this forum is for support and I get a lot of support from it, even when I am just reading old threads or digging for information. But a lot of the relief comes from stories I read like this...they make you smile. And many days with D we need that smile more than we need air.

@goochgirl-I laughed when you said he was in the bath with his pump...we nearly had to do this too, but I showed him how "cool" the plug thing we get with his sites were. Now, he talks me through putting it on.

@tiger7lady-those little steps are huge...and it is amazing how much of a difference each step makes...it is as if with each step they take more ownership and D becomes less of an issue.

I would love to hear other stories of accomplishment....I think it is a good thing to see the positive as well as get the help with the frustratingly crazy up and downs of D.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2012