- advertisement -

Kiwi Introductions

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by kiwikid, Apr 12, 2007.

1. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

Hi Mike - Its nice to meet you, and see that maybe NZ isn't too far behind the times. Are you in the US for good? or just a spell? You must be looking forward to warmer weather, the first signs of Autumn are visible here now.
    I'm looking forward to catching up with Chris and the others from Christchurch at the DY Conference in Nelson in August :cwds:

2. kiwimum

kiwimum Approved members

Hi Mike

Nice to meet you but wish we didn't have and I mean that in the nicest possible way.
    I am really interested to hear that we are not so bad off in NZ for Diabetes care after all! I always feel we are centuries behind when I read some of the threads!
    Are you there for good or just for the time being?
    Look forward to hearing from you more and learning of your experiences of D care in USA from a kiwi perspective!:)
    (Just about to have a gander at your project)

3. Sharcol

Sharcol New Member

new to forum

hi my names Elaine I have a 10 yr old son who was diagnosed as type 1 diabetic july 2007 he uses epi pens and is on novorapid and protophane
    we are part of the Waikato diabetic youth but have not been actively involved life has been very intense since our son's dx and not just because of him LOL.
    I have been looking for support groups for a while as I am struggling with school issues. Don't get me wrong they are trying to be supportive but the proticol thrown at me I feel sometimes it would be easier to home school or sit at the school all day on standby. It feels like nothing can be done unless its in a care plan and care plans for diabetic children are not static so we are being rung twice a day at least from the school or having to go bring him home.
    Am i the only one dealing with this prob.
    I also notice allot of the children are on pumps does this make the schooling easier?
    sorry for spelling errors im the worlds worst at spelling

4. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

Hi Elaine - Welcome to CWD. I'm sorry to hear you are having a hard time with school. We are very lucky in that our school is very accommodating and that there are only 11 kids in the school to be looked after.
    Can the Diabetes Educator help you? Our school uses a 'Flowchart' that we customised from one given to us by Starship. It covers most of the steps that need to be taken with Rachel. Is there one person designated to help your son at school? How much of his care can he do himself?
    We have found that pumping has been great for school but only because we already have great support.

No worries about the spelling! Its nice to see you here :cwds:

5. Sharcol

Sharcol New Member

yes the diabetes educator is marverlous . We have had her, the health nurse, the school nurse who is our sons designated help around the table at meetings.
    To answer your question our son can carb count and dial up and inject himself but hes so forgetful, we have to remind him to test at every test and sometimes he will even eat and forget to test before we can catch him if hes hungry or will eat and forget what hes eaten when asked why are u high.we have to eyeball his injections as he has a tendancy to rush so he can get out and play as well
    I think the problem is more that we cant get on top of his insulin levels and hes having ketones 2 -3 times a week. And CDD does not advocate for schools to keep children with ketones at school as its dangerous, they arn't ment to expend energy etc and it is not the schools call to make medication level choices.which I understand. But I also think she was saying we cant tell u to take these things on board its a choose the school has to make in its positon.
    concequently we have to make up a new care plan which until we get his ketones under control means we are rung morningtea and lunch and bring him home if he goes above a 15 and has ketones. If we cant he may have to go into hospital for restablisation. I supose im also starting to stress as he goes to intermediate next yr which is alot further away than the primary school.
    I guess because medically we are a high needs family I find the inconsistancy of diabeties stressfull and the carb counting im constantly worried i didnt calulate right.
    I guess i should shoosh now

6. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

Please don't shoosh! This is a great place to vent, and try and find help and support. :cwds:
    It sounds very stressful for you. Its seems like you have good support from the team at your hospital, you just need to get a insulin regimen that works for your son.
    10 yr old boys don't go slowly at the best of times, so good luck with getting him to slow down, I don't envy you.
    I think each school has different policies and you just have to work with them. Have you asked about High Health Needs Funding (through Group Special Education) for a Teacher Aide for your son until things get sorted? You may find Intermediate have different policies and are easier to work with. I do hope you get something sorted soon.

Rachel has been sitting around 20 most of today and she had 2.4 ketones this morning, after being 2.1 at midnight last night when we got home from a school concert - it definitely ISN'T easy :(

Hang In There :cwds:

7. kiwimum

kiwimum Approved members

Hey Elaine

Welcome to CWD:cwds:

Where abouts in Hamilton are you? I am a Hamilton girl born and bred, just living in Auckland since my husbands career is here.
    We were at my parents on Sunday for Mothers Day. They are in Rototuna.

I know what you mean about growing boys. Tyler just doesn't seem to stop eating at the moment.
    Hang in there and keep coming here to vent. Trust me, we all get it!

8. Sharcol

Sharcol New Member

hi Kiwimum im in norton but have lived in Hamilton since i was 11 went to HGHS and Fairfield.
    Alex is now on Lantis its alot better, well it is a HELL of a lot better but we are still finding that blessed balance. He is not being sent home 3 days a week with ketones now.
    BUT I am pissed right now
    our school insists on a care plan which is fine but u can not forget ANYTHING or they wont do it. u cant make changes unless u produce a NEW authorised care plan etc etc. My son this week asked to go to The homework club we paid and put him in but HELLO he is not allowed to go untill there is a formal care plan for him while he is there.How the HELL can we teach our kids any independance in their diabeties if we have to have a care plan to let them go to the toilet ??? ok im exagerating sigh.Hes not allowed on school trips unless one of us go. I dont mind this but sometimes we cant be there or doing the trip costs us mentally and physically due to our own health issues. Hes off to intermediate next yr its further away for us to get to and im scared at how they will be. I am so mad for Alex right now how often do 11 yr old boys ask to do HOMEWORK? we just cant deal with it right now, alex is getting a plate, my daughter is getting braces, my hubby is about to have total knee replacement surgury and im off to the USA in 4 wks for 3 wks.
    sorry im rabitting on but this has really upset me
    sorry about the spelling I suck at it and I cant find a spell check on this programe LOL
    Elaine

9. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

Hi Elaine, Keep venting here - you found the right place for it :cwds:
    Its good to see that you are finding Lantus better and have got rid of the ketones.
    We also have a Careplan in place and I have to remember to do my part - mostly making sure that Rachel's D kit supplies are full and labelling her foods. Our school is very accommodating though, more so than yours seems to be.
    We don't have to go on any trips with Rachel, its the schools job to send someone who knows how to help her with Diabetes.
    Is the Homework Club part of the afterschool program at your school? Maybe if there are different staff there they need a training session with the Diabetes Educator? Or you to go in and explain things to them?
    It sounds as though you have a lot on your plate at the moment. Is the US trip a holiday? If so I'm jealous already.

10. Sharcol

Sharcol New Member

To be honest im not sure who is running it Alex said it was the nurse(teacher) who is his school care person but that may be incorrect. Colin has withdrawn him from the club sadly.
    The trip is a holiday booked end of last yr before the drama of this yr started its hard going while things are so busy but Hubby and our eldest daughter wont let me back out of it ( im kinda happy about that but still feel bad for them).
    So to make you more jealous LOl im going to Boston then Orlando doing Disney, and all them places hehehehe. I have never done an international flight so thats scary .
    Ty for a place to Vent with all the stuff we go threw as parents of Diabetic children the school is the Hardest for me to deal with.
    Elaine

11. Ivan's Mum

Ivan's Mum Approved members

hi Elaine, sorry I'm piping up so late but I don't comehere often. Are you on the NZ mailing list - good place to talk to more often. I am wondering how you're getting on with school. We've got 3 T1's and we all do if differently and previously there's been one more so our school are experts and just phone to ask us if there's a prob. Would it help to put them in touch with a school with a few more D's so they realise that your son needs to be a kid first?

Let me know if there's any way I can help.

That mailing list address if you've not already got it.

http://lists.childrenwithdiabetes.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/nzaus

12. Nikki4

Nikki4 New Member

Hello Nz Moms

Hi everyone...i really don't know what i am doing on this site...so i will need some help...short story of getting here is a mistaken phone call from Fran, which actually has worked out to be fantastic...my son Jackson (14yrs) was diagnosed on sept 19th, and as you all know we were devastated!!! I still cry but try to hide it from him....the only real contact and help was from another mum in Melborne (abit hard on face book)..so would love to have meet and greet/coffee morning/evening...anything really....i will try and send this now..hope to hear from someone...

13. Ivan's Mum

Ivan's Mum Approved members

well done! you're in the right place now. Debbie, if you read this, I wondered if your boys would get on.

Another case of me pimping you out.

14. kiwimum

kiwimum Approved members

I beat you to it and replied to Nikki's post in the Intro section! Hahaha!

As for Tyler and Jackson, I hope Nikki, you contact me. Tyler would love to meet someone his own age that is going through the teen issues and D! They could be good for each other!

Fran, you can pimp me out all you want, although Carl will be sorry that there is no cash involved in the pimping!! lol

15. Pepper1

Pepper1 Approved members

Hi Nikki

Just sent you a personal message, offering support and contact details.

hang in there!!

Pepper1.

16. Parody

Parody Approved members

Gidday

I'm Peter. Location ChCh. Know a few of you here but havent posted on this thread before. My son is 9, diagnosed a while back. I keep well up with the tech and developments internationally yet like you all, battle away positively) with T1D everyday. Just wanted to drop by here with a friendly smile and say "gidday"! :)

17. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

Hi Peter , Nice to meet you. If you are here, you're probably right up with all the changes Pharmac are suggesting.
    Gidday back ! :cwds: