- advertisement -

Kindergarten/One Touch-Ping Remote

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Kelly.Marie, Aug 5, 2011.

1. Kelly.Marie

Kelly.Marie Approved members

Do you send your child to school with the meter/remote? Or, do you leave another meter there for school to use? I never sent it to daycare with Jack, there they use the Freestyle and bolus via the pump.
    Also, I was planning to put a meter with apple juice/smarties/gel in Jack's backpack so it is always with him. The three women who will be driving him to/from school are three of the five women at his daycare who currently do all his diabetes care.
    Getting anxious, any input/advise greatly appreciated!

2. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

Emma didn't go to Kindergarten (she's homeschooled) but she did go to preschool and I sent her Ping remote to and from every day. She knew where to get it and put it back. Only once in two years did it get left at school and I had to go back and get it

3. suz

suz Approved members

Kieran got his Ping whilst in Kindergarten and has never taken the remote into school. He has 2 or 3 other meters throughout the school and the nurse uses the pump to bolus.

He keeps a meter in class, one in the nurses office, one in his back pack for the bus-ride home and then carries one with him between classes. (Wow, I didn't realize he had quite that many!!!)

I'm just paranoid that he'd forget it, or it would fall out of his bag on the bus or something. At least the pump is attached to him so he's unlikely to loose that! But then, he's an absent-minded boy :rolleyes:

4. Charliesmom

Charliesmom Approved members

Our school nurse preferred to just keep a One Touch mini at the school and bolus through the pump. It made it a lot easier.

5. McKenna'smom

McKenna'smom Approved members

I didn't risk sending the Ping remote to elementary school, she used another tester. However, this year, she will be doing her own care during school so I am going to send the remote with her.

6. selketine

selketine Approved members

William got his Ping in 1st grade I think (different animas pump before that) and the meter has gone to school with him from the start. It stays in the health room. He does have emergency meters that are regular One Touch though.

7. Caydens_Mommy

Caydens_Mommy Approved members

For the past 2 years we have sent the meter to school with Cayden daily and just made sure he brought it home daily. I actually prefer it this way as I can go back and see everything that has gone on that day with BG's and what not and I don't have to look at 30 meters when I need to write numbers down to figure things out, but this is just a personal preference.