- advertisement -

Kids who can't do it ...

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by kiwikid, May 11, 2012.

1. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

After the thread about when kids can start doing their own shots/pump sites to gain a bit of freedom I realised I don't think we will ever get there :(

Rachel can do everything EXCEPT stick needles into herself (or anyone else).
    At 10, after nearly 10 years of D, she has never given herself an injection or a pump site. If I suggest she practices putting one in me she loves the idea but just can't do it.. She still faints when we have blood tests and I couldn't believe when she got her ears pierced with no fuss (she REALLY REALLY wanted it) but she went all pale and interesting when we went to change her earrings for the first time. She said she is never changing them again :eek:
    With Boarding School looming in 2 years (because of where we live there are no other schooling options) we really need to work on this... :confused:

Is there hope that time will help? or any other positive advice? :cwds:

2. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Jane, Steven has yet to give himself an injection. He just turned 11. I have been discussing it with him but he's not real keen on the idea yet. Would Rachel feel more comfortble by herself in her room with an empty syringe. She could sit as long as she needed to and just rest the needle against her skin in different areas to see how it feels and when ready she could slowly trying pushing it through the skin. It felt very odd to me the first few times I poked myself with a needle to see what it felt like. It was hard to do and I felt a bit strange and dizzy at first. But I did take my time away from Steven so I could show him that I could put the needle in my thigh and it was ok.

Rachel is pumping isnt she? Do you use EMLA or some other type of numbing cream? Maybe she could have some of that on while she experiments with piercing her skin with the needle. It might be something like my fear of bees. I had to keep exposing myself to them a little bit at a time until I was more comfortable around them.

Im thinking in a couple years she'll be all set and more comfortable with the injections. Ive heard of a lot of kids not being able to do it until they were 11 or 12 ;)

3. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

What sets aid she using ? I still do most site changes but I am getting the kids to do more and more. I have them a rewind and load the pump and get the set (Inset) ready to insert. I help guide them on the IV Prep (where to put it) and then walk them through placing it. They press the buttons and they release it. It is tough because they are reaching around and it is hard to see back there (high hip area). So no, mine are still relying on me to help quite a bit at this point.

They are 12 and 15 . I think my 15 year old has only gave one injection.

4. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Maddie stalled and dawdled on learning how to do her own site for the longest time. I do think that for kids who were dxd young it's a bit slower and they just take longer to make that leap. Having a goal, like a trip (in Maddie's case) or school, as in Rachel's will certainly help. ;)

Can you let her practice on you? Maybe that would help, or at least give her some pleasure :p

I know that this sounds trite, but she will learn. She won't need mom to do it forever.:cwds: Just keep encouraging her and try not to be impatient.

5. MamaLibby

MamaLibby Approved members

I agree with Sarah that kids that were dx younger tend to dawdle. Also, my DD had other medical issues a few years ago, which further decreased her comfort level with needles and medical things in general.

My almost-11 year old isn't inserting her own sites yet, but knows how to set it all up. She checks her own BG during the day most of the time, and is okay but not great on carb counting. She will get there! Good luck :)

6. lynn

lynn Approved members

When I was a kid I couldn't look at anything with blood--even stitches in somebody would make me lightheaded. I remember one time when just my dad and I were home. He was in the garage working on a car and he cut the back of his head. He came in to have me clean it up for him. I remember going into the bathroom with him and getting a washcloth to clean it up. He bent down so I could see it for the first time. Thankfully my sister got home right then and caught me from hitting the floor! When I was pregnant the first time, I went to have blood work done (for the first time ever) and passed out while I was checking in. It was terrible for me!

My siblings were all shocked that I could handle Nathan's diabetes when he was diagnosed. Sometime between that first pregnancy and Nathan's diagnosis I got over it. It takes a lot to make me feel the darkness closing in nowadays!:D

If she is like I was and will HAVE to get over it within two years, then I would recommend some sort of counseling.

7. GAmom

GAmom Approved members

I dont think its that uncommon for type 1 kids to not give their own injections.

Does she have an anxiety disorder or sensory processing disorder? That may make everything that much MORE difficult, if she has something added like that on type of the type dx.

My dd has an anxiety disorder and I think that component is more tricky to work around than type 1.

Speaking as a mom of two teens, ten is so young! Give it time. My son is seven now, the same age that my dd was, when she was dx'd. Yet, he seems so young at 7! My dd started giving her own injections the day after diagnosis, but she also wanted to be the one in control. It took 45 minutes for her to screw up her courage at first to put the shot in, and that went on for about a week, but then she was a pro at it! Give her lots of patience and time to work herself up to it, even an hour to do that first shot, and then a big fat reward for doing it! That might help.

I know you are worried because she needs to go to boarding in two years. Is there any possibility of delaying this a year or more if need be? There are so many great online schooling options nowadays, and there is always homeschooling. That may be the best option to fill in the "gap" years til she is ready for boarding school.

8. lgouldin

lgouldin Approved members

My DD will do her BG checks but will not do injections when I am around, which is fine by me, but she can do it. She just doesn't want to.

My DD was diagnosed 8 months ago. I always talk out loud when figuring dosing, corrections and carb counting and have her help. She had only given herself 1 injection at the hospital at diagnosis. So about 2 weeks after diagnosis she wanted to go somewhere with a friend (and her parents) for the day and would be having lunch while she was gone. I could not go so I said no, naturally she said well just because you can't go why can't I:confused: and like magic all of a sudden she could do it. Showed me for dinner that night she could give herself an injection :D so she got to go. But in 8 months she has only given herself 1 injection in front of me (the 1 she wanted to show me so she could go:p).

Maybe if she had to she would (but maybe not)...you still have 2 years and a lot can change in that time.

9. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

Leah couldn't give herself a shot until she was 11 and then a friend of hers got D, and was giving herself shots with a pen. Once Leah saw that, she thought it was cool started using the pen. She now uses then pen any time she's high and a couple of pump boluses do not bring her BG down, or if a pod stops working and she doesn't feel like putting on a new pod right away. She's yet to try a shot with a syringe, though, and I can't really see a reason to use a syrings since she has pens for both Apidra and Levemir and the pens are so much easier to use. Anwyay, my point is that seeing someone else take a shot might help :)