- advertisement -

Kids Using Dexcom in southeastern WI Area?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by aherbrand, Mar 21, 2013.

1. aherbrand

aherbrand Approved members

("Sort of" cross posted on T1P...)

Does anyone have a pediatric endo in the southeastern WI area who has prescribed Dexcom for their child?

We are currently being seen at UW Children's Hospital in Madison, and they will not prescribe. I feel a bit like I'm being given the runaround...I realize it's an off label use, but I also know many kids are using Dex with great success.

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

What reason did they give?

3. aherbrand

Hi Sarah,

The doc said because it is an off label use. (Yet they prescribe Lantus to children six and under, which I have learned is also off label).

The NP, at a separate appointment, said she can't get the Dexcom rep to talk with her. I called Dexcom about this, and they told me that, technically, their reps are forbidden to speak with peds endo, unless the endo writes a specific prescription for Dex.

4. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Well that's a ridiculous catch-22. Dr won't prescribe, rep claims they won't initiate. :rolleyes:

I'd call Dexcom and ask them to send you via snail mail the package with the Patient Insurance information/Assignment of Benefits and Health Information form ( it's two pages long and takes about 10 min to do) Fill it out, fax it in and include a brief letter noting that your endo Dr XYZ does not yet have a relationship with Dexcom and that you'd request that a customer service agent contact you upon receipt of the fax to discuss who your rep would be and who they would contact in your endo's office.

This is the chain of events as we experienced it - fill in forms, fax, they review, send off to insurance to confirm benefits, contact endo's office for prescription, ship product.

Basically if your endo is telling you what they apparently told you then you have no choice but to do an end run and bring the dexcom rep into the relationship.

Good luck.

5. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

We had to fax the doctors form to the office and were told they couldn't check insurance or even really talk to us about it until they got it back since she's under 18. But it was easy, it's on the website, just print and fax to the doctors office.

6. Northwoodsmama

Northwoodsmama Approved members

Hi-
    I am brand new - my 5yo daughter was diagnosed earlier this month. We are seeing the team at St. Joseph's in Marshfield. After reading about the Dexcom on this site- I asked for one and her ped endo wrote a referral letter last week!
    Now waiting on insurance approval... Hope this helps.

7. alexander2173

alexander2173 Approved members

Sticky situation

Off label prescribing is strictly prohibited by a lot of doctors! It's unfortunate for your situation. They are covering their butts by not doing it. Could you imagine if they gave it to you and then something bad happened? That would be horrible

8. alexander2173

Dexcom rep

Is your rep Mark Ching?

9. Meredithsmom

Meredithsmom Approved members

We love our team at Marshfield Clinic! Have never had a problem getting whatever we have asked for. Glad to hear you are in the same boat as far as not having problems.

10. aherbrand

I would seriously consider driving to Marshfield for the right doctor. Obviously, there are other things to consider besides simply willingness to prescribe the Dexcom. But right now - it's a big enough point of contention that I'm probably going to switch endos if they refuse.

11. aherbrand

I understand this - but it seems pretty contrary to me when they prescribe Lantus as their basal of choice to kids under 6 (off label also), but then won't go off label with Dexcom.

They seem to push Medtronic equipment very heavily (pump and also CGM). Nothing against Medtronic, but I don't feel it's the right fit for us.

12. aherbrand

I have no idea. I've been trying to get a name, but I can't get the local rep's info anywhere, no matter how hard I try.

If anyone knows who the rep is in this area, it would be helpful.

13. dzirbel

dzirbel Approved members

Not from WI but I hear you on the Medtronic push. Our CDE was pushing the Medtronic pump at our "info" class. We knew going in that we wanted the Omnipod, but she only gave it 2-3 minutes at best and then tossed it on the back table. She told my daughter she was too skinny to use it. We have been using it for over a year now and love it.

We go Monday to discuss CGM's and I've already made up my mind about going for the Dex after doing my research. I hate having to be prepared for a possible battle.

14. aherbrand

Same here on the Pod. We want the Pod and they just pooh-poohed it, saying that it usually doesn't work out because of so many bad sites. But wow did they love to extol the virtues of the MiniMed.....I went ahead and told them yesterday we were getting the Pod, rep faxed paperwork to them.

So frustrating. Best of luck on your Dex battle.

15. Meredithsmom

Meredithsmom Approved members

We have been seeing an endo team in Marshfield for almost 5 years. They have always been willing to discuss everything with us. I really have no complaints. Let me know if you want names.

16. alexander2173

I will try to get you the Rep info on dexcom. Maybe they can even give you a name of some endos that will write for it

17. Tricia22

Tricia22 Approved members

Look into the Children's Hospital of Wisconsin Milwaukee endo. group. I went there for 12 years until I "aged out" of their program, and they are AWESOME!! The main endo that I saw left to become department head at a Chicago hospital, but the main NP I saw there, Elaine Parton is THE BEST!!
    I still keep in touch with them, they are very much on the forefront of technology for kids with diabetes - I was one of the first younger kids in Wisconsin to get on an insulin pump through them back in 2000...
    www.chw.org
    Hope this helps... they are AMAZING!!!

18. aherbrand

That would be great. Thanks :)

19. aherbrand

Thank you! I have thought about the Children's Hospital in Milwaukee. We are due to start pumping with the Pod here shortly (pods were ordered yesterday), and then once the dust settles on that I will be looking around, if I still can't get our endo to agree on the Dex.