- advertisement -

Kidney question - WWYD?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by emm142, Apr 7, 2015.

1. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Hi everyone! About to post an update on my life generally (which I'll put in OT ;) ), since it's been ages since I logged on and I want to know what's going on for everyone here, but before that I have a quick question.

Since I was last around my endo has added metformin to the veritable cocktail of medications I am already taking. That's gone fine and improved my control a little, though my A1C is still hanging out in the 8s. The beautiful combination of medical conditions isn't leading to ease of control at all..!

I was at the GP recently for a suspected UTI, and when she did the urine dipstick there was protein. She said it was probably nothing, that contamination is easy when giving a sample. But I'm slightly concerned, like I've obviously had diabetes for 8 years now and it would be quite early for complications but not unheard of. I don't really know whether that's an unreasonable concern though. If a doctor said to you that your DD/DS/yourself had protein in urine but to just ignore it and it was probably fine, would you be back there demanding more tests or would you just wait until the next annual check up (around 6 months away) and see if it was still an issue? Thanks for input :)

2. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Hi. Glad things are improving for you! my daughter has had protein in her urine if it was screened later in the day. We always have it screened first thing in the am for a more accurate reading.

3. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

Why not do a new early morning urine just to rule out contamination and postural proteinuria, and then you won't worry for the next 6 months?. Rachel has been on Lisinopril since she was 8 for microalbuminuria and it hasn't caused any problems. We did 3 positive early morning urine collections, before they started the process of nephrologist and kidney scans to rule anything else out.