- advertisement -

Keytones increasing? what to do?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by missjenec, Sep 1, 2012.

1. missjenec

missjenec Approved members

I previously posted this

My daughter is 4 and was diagnosed with type 1, 6 months ago. She has been a real trooper. He last test aug 7th a1c was a 7, which her endocrinologist was very happy with. She eats very well and is on lantus and humalog.

Her numbers have been mixed the past few weeks. 100's and 200s, There were some 300s as well. We dont know why, I have been giving her more insulin and today we checked her urine and there was a trace of keytones.

We took her to her pedi and they saw acid in her urine and a trace (lowest end) of keytones.

Any insight of what to do? what could be causing this sudden change?

I got a call back from her endo and they were not worried, they said its expected for her levels to rise since she is so young.

I am MORE worrisome however, that her Pee keytone read 15-20 this morning******

What does this mean? She gets her insulin and gets her correct and good carbs, am I missing something?

Its labor day weekend-- the worst weekend this can happen. :(

2. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

Are you only checking ketones in the morning? Those could very well just be starvation ketones, and will disappear when she gets some carbs.

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

What pee sticks are you using?

Most likely what Danismom indicated, fasting or "starvation" ketones, which, btw DO NOT lead to DKA

4. missjenec

missjenec Approved members

I had the bayer ones, I got new ones, but stupid CVS gave me expired ones. I have to get new ones now. whats starvation? She had dinner last at 730pm, and ate breakfast in the morning, would that period be considered starvation?

5. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

Urine ketone testing provides hours old information. It's fine to use if your child feels well. For illness, it's advisable to use a blood ketone meter - NovaMax or Abbott Precision Xtra.

6. Brenda

Brenda Junior Member

Starvation ketones are ketones that develop from not eating carbohydrates. So, if your daughter's last food intake is at 7:30 p.m., it is likely that she has starvation ketones in the morning, usually trace.

Starvation ketones also occur during stomach illnesses when you/your child are unable to eat. These can start trace and worsen w/o carbs consumed and can accompany LOW blood sugars. The key is to eat and take insulin, which can be tricky if you/your child are vomiting. Should such a situation arise, it is best to keep in touch with one's diabetes team for advice, especially since the ketones can worsen and possibly lead to DKA if they are left untreated. I am not sure of the timeframe for that, could be days. Most parents do not let their child go with ketones that long before contacting their doctor/going to the E.R.

To second what Ellen said, a blood ketone meter is more accurate.