- advertisement -

1. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

Our son late summer has had issues with more high blood sugars. He does well with corrections. I always want him to check for ketones because I hear what a problem they are with the smaller children. Is this less of a problem with adults? He would not have high blood sugars for days and days on end. Besides diagnosis, he has not had ketones. I just am worrisome because of what I read about the smaller kids, but I have a suspicion this is not an issue for adults as much? Do your college-age kids check for ketones?

2. Nana

Nana Approved members

I rarely check for ketones, but I would if I was high for longer period or if I was feeling ill. I have never had ketones, even at diagnosis.

3. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

What I've read on here about kids getting ketones doesn't correlate with my experience. I had ketones in my urine for two weeks after diagnosis, and since then, I've had ketones only on days when I threw up (there have been two of those). And those two were trace and small. Even the time I woke up in the 300s and took hours to come down, my ketones were negative.
    I don't think ketones are much of an issue for me.

4. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

Hey thanks so much for your replies! :) His blood sugars have even gone as high as in the 400s, :eek: but like I said he'll get them back down. I guess I should really ask the endo what the specific guidelines are we should follow. He's never had an illness yet where he's thrown up and I'm dreading when that happens at college. :( What did you do for that LantusFiend?

5. Krystle

Krystle New Member

I'm currently a student finishing my last semester at Cal. Yay for being almost done! And I check for ketones all the time.

As a PUMPER, my Endo always likes me to check for ketones whenever my bs is above 250. The reasoning behind this is that my site may not be working properly and therefore I'm not getting any insulin. I have checked for ketones when I was 250+ and they've been there, which usually means that your body has not been receiving insulin for up to 3 hours...when I find that I have ketones I change my site and all goes back to normal.

I find that checking for ketones has helped me a lot because I no longer wait until my bs reaches 300, 400, or even higher and I start feeling sick before I realize something is wrong. So I've just made it a rule to check for ketones whenever I am about 250..

On a side note, I use the Precision Blood Ketone meter. I have Kaiser and I get the meter and strips covered because I am a pumper (we have a higher chance of ketones because we only use quick acting insulins). My endo has all of her pumpers checking for ketones with this meter.

Best of luck!

6. livacreature

livacreature Approved members

I check ketones whenever my BS is high or if I just feel...off. I get them really easily, but normally it is only moderate, and I can flush them out.

7. Hollyb

Hollyb Approved members

Ketones take a while to develop, and longer to make it into the urine (if you're using urine strips). so we have stopped checking ketones for "random" highs because in Aaron they are always negative. If he were high for a prolonged period, then yes we would check, but if it's just a high from a sneaky food that spiked late or inadequate bolus he corrects and then checks in a couple of hours. As long as it's starting to come down, we don't worry about ketones.