- advertisement -

Ketones

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by diabeticgirl101, Mar 29, 2006.

1. diabeticgirl101

diabeticgirl101 Approved members

Hello, I have a question about Ketones. Can you have ketones and yet have a perfectly normal in range blood sugar?
    Thank you!! :)

2. EmmasMom

EmmasMom Approved members

Yes!

Anytime your body isn't getting as much insulin as it needs you're going to have ketones. You can have great numbers, or even low numbers if you're not eating well. (This is especially common during stomach bugs.) You give less insulin because they aren't eating as much...which makes sense, but without the normal amount of insulin your cells starve, your body burns fat for fuel, and you get ketones.

I hope that helps. There are a couple of posts in the parents of T1 area from last week that have some good info on ketones.

3. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

I had exactly that problem this morning. Rachel went to bed at 9.8 (mmol) - I tested at 1.30am and she was 8.7, then when she woke at 6.30 this morning she was 9.2. I only tested for ketones because I could smell them on her breath. Blood ketones were .2.
    She said later this morning that she had a sore tummy, I don't know whether that caused the ketones or if it was caused by the ketones.
    I'm still wondering because she has been fine all day:confused:

4. ann-lolly

ann-lolly Approved members

My daughter had ketones once and was in the normal range. She also had a cold. I called our endo. and they said it was ok and normal. even people with diabetes sometimes get ketones when the are sick. it was just a trace and by the next time we checked her, it was gone.

5. maaike

maaike Approved members

ketones are also produced when burning fat, right? i remember following a protein diet and having ketones even while i had regular bloodglucose levels.

6. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Yes, you can have sugars w/in range and still have ketones. My daughter had a stomach bug this winter, and was vomiting frequently for several hours. During this whole episode, she had a blood sugar in the 140-150 range, but was producing starvation ketones, which registered 3 + on our Precision Ultra meter. The ER doc said that even a person with a functioning pancreas will start to produce starvation ketones after vomiting 6 times.

7. Ben'sMommy

Ben'sMommy Approved members

Yes you can have ketones at any blood sugar level.
    When you are sick especially.
    These are called 'starvation ketones' and are very dangerous.

8. CinaRay

CinaRay Approved members

question about kestones

My daughter kept getting Large ketones often when her blood sugar level is high. I follow up what Doctor told me like check her meter to see how much her blood sugar level is then look up the chart how much units of insulin to take when her blood sugar high and ketones large. Also drink a lot of water or sugar free for three hours then recheck again to see if ketone went back down. But cant do more than two time with insulin. What am I suppose to do if her ketones wont go down even her blood sugar back normal???? She kept say she feel fine. Im so confuse about it... Im still learning how to deal with all stuff for Her. She get frustrated because she is out of control with her blood sugar. Help me what should I do so I can make her feel less worry or frustrate and help me to understand how to deal with it or understand what I need to do for her

9. Pammers

Pammers Approved members

It is my understanding that when you have Ketones, in addition to administering insulin and water, you also have to get carbs in. Ketones are a by product of fat-burning and the only way to stop that process is to get more sugars in....so i think saying drink sugar free drink is ridiculous. More insulin AND more carbs (and plenty of fluids). Am I wrong here?

10. cydnimom

cydnimom Approved members

I think every situation is very different when looking at the cause of ketones. It is always good to ingest sugar free fluid to dilute the blood and reduce the concentration of ketones. At the same time you also have to manage blood sugars and ingest carbs so you don't get starvation ketones. If you can get to where your blood sugar is relatively normalized then your body should be able to use the carbs ingested.

Ketones are hard to get rid of and they don't just "disappear" once you have large ketones. It can take a couple of days and as long as you are managing blood sugars and drinking fluids and eating carbs, then the chances of dka are minimal. They key is management of the blood sugar and fluids.

The other big thing to help reduce ketones is not to exert yourself exercise wise. If your body is already not able to use the carbs you are ingesting, but you are physically active it will cause your body to get the energy from somewhere else, that being muscle breakdown creating more ketones. It can become a vicious circle.

These are just my thoughts on the ketone issue...

11. maverickmom (Kerri)

maverickmom (Kerri) Approved members

You can get ketones if you don't eat enough carbs ("starvation" ketones) or if you don't get enough insulin. You can have ketones with low, normal, or high blood sugars so it's important to check them any time you feel "off" or when you're sick, even if the bgs aren't high.
    When you have low or normal bg and ketones, the cause is likely due to not eating enough carbs (this is especially true in the case of vomiting). H. Peter Chase advocates eating something first to see if that makes the ketones go away. Once the bgs are up you can give insulin if necessary.
    If the bgs are high and there are ketones, you definitely need more insulin.

Think of it like this:
    1) low/normal bg=normal/high insulin levels but not enough glucose to put into the cells so the body thinks it is starving and breaks down fat for energy (=ketones); solution=glucose and possibly more insulin (depends on situation)

2) high bg=low insulin levels so while there is a lot of circulating glucose, it can't be put into the cells so the body thinks it is starving and breaks down fat for energy (=ketones); solution=extra insulin

Hope this helps!

12. maverickmom (Kerri)

maverickmom (Kerri) Approved members

I was taught (and have read in various sources) that when you're treating ketones...

With bgs over 200, no carbs and only carb-free fluids until the bg is down below 200.

With bgs below 200, carbs and carb-containing fluids can be given.

Hope this helps!

I highly recommend reading H. Peter Chase's 'Understanding Diabetes', Ragnar Hanas's 'Type 1 Diabetes', and Gary Scheiner's 'Think Like a Pancreas'.