- advertisement -

Ketones... has anyone's child ever NOT had them?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by momof2here, Mar 30, 2010.

1. momof2here

momof2here Approved members

Just curious how many kids have NOT had ketones... I hear about them so often that I am wondering if they are common?

2. chammond

chammond Approved members

Crickets chirping!:)

3. kimmcannally

kimmcannally Approved members

Mine hasn't had any since his initial diagnosis (January 2010) and he has been sick several times.

4. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I think it's pretty much impossible to answer that question truthfully. Some of us check for ketones often, and sometimes catch them. Others check only when things are really crazy high - and again, maybe sometimes catch them. While others, maybe don't expect ketones, so they don't look for ketones, so they don't find ketones.:cwds: Which doesn't mean that they aren't there :rolleyes:

That said every kid is different, and after a while you'll get a feeling for your own kid's proclivity for ketones.;)

5. Mimi

Mimi Approved members

After dx I checked for ketones frequently and saw trace maybe once or twice. Now, I check with illness or a series of high numbers without explanation.

I was also under the impression that ketones are more common in pumpers than those on MDI. Correct?

6. chbarnes

chbarnes Approved members

Virtually all type 1 diabetics have ketones when their BG is elevated for a prolonged period. When the body cannot metabolize glucose it burns fat and makes ketones. Everyone makes ketones when they fast or eat a carb-free diet.
    In early stages of the Atkins Diet people are encouraged to test their urine for ketones and reduce their carb intake if they don't have ketones in their urine.
    But making ketones is not the same as DKA or diabetic ketoacidosis; where ketones build up to the point it makes the blood acidic. DKA is a medical emergency. Hope this helps.

Chuck

Last edited: Mar 30, 2010
  7. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

I don't think my son has ketones very often. We don't measure for them very much either.

8. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

I rarely check them. The only time Emma's had them is when she's had a little bug. But she's only been sick maybe 3 times since diagnosis but she tends to run low with ketones so I have to pump her up with juice and then give her the insulin, but she clears them easily. Usually when she's sick her ketones are starvation ketones becuase her body is working extra hard to fight the illness and needs more carbs and insulin to work extra hard and without them, she generates ketones.

9. melissajm

melissajm Approved members

Ben has never had ketones, even at dx. In the two years since the highest we've seen on the meter is .2.

10. wvchinacat

wvchinacat Approved members

We have never had any. With the exception of the one time she had the stomach flu - and her ketones were very low - if I remember it registered .03 at the highest. Even at dx Willow did not have ketones. Willow's dad and his sister also do not get ketones very often.

Now I will be honest I do not check for ketones everytime she has a high blood sugar - but every time I have checked it has ALWAYS registered 0.0 on the blood ketone meter and the urine sticks never change color. One time when I could not get her bg down for several hours - I had her pee onthe sticks, and tested a few times and still never any ketones. I was sure there was something wrong with the meter.

I think we are one of the lucky few . . .

11. grantsmom

grantsmom Approved members

Mine did not have them at DX. His BG was 423. He has only had a trace once when sick.

We test any time he is has been high a few testing in a row, sick or just seems off.

12. caspi

caspi Approved members

When we were first on MDI, Cameron only had them once when he had the stomach flu. When he was on the Omnipod, he had them a handful of times, all due to bad pods. Now that he's back on MDI, we haven't seen any at all. I do check for ketones whenever he's had 2 readings over 300.

13. pam_r

pam_r Approved members

Collin never gets them and it has been 2 yrs since dx.

14. rare

rare Approved members

T's had them twice since dx'd that I know of. Once after faking giving himself a lantus shot, and another time he was trace when he ran high in school. Whenever he's high these days and I have him check they're always negative. Then again, we do urine tests and not blood, so idk how accurate they are.

15. MyAngelEmma

MyAngelEmma Approved members

I can honestly say that Emma never gets ketones and I have always been curious as to why. :confused:

Now she did have a reading of .6 once when she was sick but that was only one time in almost two years and she had a stomach bug so I am thinking it was starvation ketones. We do check for ketones for any number in the high 200s but always get 0.0. I would say in the two years since dx she has gone over 300 less than a handful of times.

Not sure why some kids develop ketones easily and others do not. WOuld love to know the answer to that.

16. Lee

Lee Approved members

Not really until 3 years into it - once the honeymoon ended, the ketones started coming easier.

17. czardoust

czardoust Approved members

Katerina has only dropped ketones twice since dx. I used to be so worried because even though she would have HI a lot when she was a toddler, she would never show anything but 0.0 on the ketone meter. Later I found out that the way T1D runs in my family, you either have it one of two ways: You have great BS control but you are prone to dropping ketones when you run high (Mom follows this pattern), or you have crappy roller coaster BS numbers and never drop a ketone no matter how sick/HI you are (my moms sister and Katerina follow that pattern).

18. mom2kenny

mom2kenny Approved members

Kenny gets ketones when the wind blows,it rains, if it's sunny, cloudy, cold or warm.Otherwise he never gets them!

19. bgallini

bgallini Approved members

We did test for ketones when Alex was first dx and if his bg was high for whatever length of time they said and he never had them. He didn't have them at dx either. I don't think he tests for them much now.

20. wilf

wilf Approved members

Correct. One of the big advantages of MDI is no reason to fear bad ketones, as there is always at least one insulin working.

We don't check for them often, and have never seen them. :)