- advertisement -

Ketones 4.6, stomach bug for 2 days, ER or no?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by azdrews, Mar 25, 2014.

1. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Thanks for the update. I'm really glad you're getting some help. :cwds:

2. Mish

Mish Approved members

Absolutely love this. I think this is one of the smartest things I've read in years.

3. azdrews

azdrews Approved members

We are home! Sometimes there is only so much you can do - but a bag of fluids and IV zofran does wonders. Even the nurses were like, "wow, he is SO different now that he has fluids - color in his face, etc." You don't often how bad dehydration can be until you see what happens when they ARE hydrated! :)

He is feeling much better and is eating some egg whites and saltines, and sipping powerade. Hopefully this gets us over this nasty bug!

4. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I totally agree! I can do large ketones and high BG's but low/normal BG's and ketones just about kills me, they honestly worry me more.

Now you know for sure that his body has been replenished of fluids and that the risk of DKA is much further away.

( I secretly wish that we could do an IV bag at home, that it would be a great skill set to have for when Zombies attack and we head to a bug out shelter. Hope that made you laugh)

5. azdrews

azdrews Approved members

Ha! It totally did...because all morning I have been thinking the exact same thing - how convenient it would be if I could just hook up an IV bag at home! It would also certainly be a lot cheaper than the $275 I forked over for our deductible this morning, but it's worth it to see my baby smiling again. :)

6. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Thanks, why the OP felt like they were crying Uncle, I was like…No! It's ok, it's like you don't have that tool, so you need to go borrow it.

My daughter too has been battling a bug. She's had higher, but not alarmingly high ketones and wasn't eating. I ended up reducing her basal so that she wouldn't go low, but also ran her a bit higher. Combined with a few crackers here and there I was able to give insulin for food and correction. It was able to flush out the ketones. Though I have to say, I was getting ready to do the mini-gluc!​

OP…
    I am so glad your son is home and on the road to recovery. The first big stomach bug is probably the scariest.

7. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

Stephanie, I'm happy to hear that Adam is starting to feel better! You must be so relieved.

Rose

8. missmakaliasmomma

missmakaliasmomma Approved members

I would go too. I do say that now without much knowledge though since, knock on wood, my daughter has never had a stomach virus so I've never seen low bgs and ketones when sick. In the back of my head though, I say I will go to the er when that time comes. Also, my sil had febrile seizures with fever when she was younger, another reason I just won't hesitate to go to the er.

On another note, she ALWAYS runs high with a fever. She usually needs double the insulin.

I hope your child feels better soon!

9. missmakaliasmomma

missmakaliasmomma Approved members

Haha love this, esp as an avid walking dead fan lolol.

10. sszyszkiewicz

sszyszkiewicz Approved members

Hey, I was wondering after the trip to the ER if things quickly cleared up?

11. Joseph

Joseph Approved members

My opinion about these situations is that you never stop learning... One
    time my son was with stomach virus, he was throwing up continuously so I suspended the pump, which caused high ketones because the insulin holds the glucogen from the muscles. High ketones, low BG isn't as scary as both of them very high. The endo suggested mini doses of glucagon and never suspend the pump otherwise the ketones would go up.
    To tell you the truth, I haven't tried the mini doses but I never suspend the pump, lower it but never stop it and I have never seen high ketones again. Another lesson learnt.