- advertisement -

Ketone testing in Infants

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by hartpukas, Jan 2, 2006.

1. hartpukas

hartpukas Approved members

My husband and I have discovered a simple way to test for ketones in our 15-month-old daughter and I wanted to share it with whoever can use the information.

Initially, we were using the suggested "cotton ball" in the diaper method - so tough to predict when she would urinate, etc... However we have since realized that if we start to draw her a bath or even let the tub water run warm and have her stand on our tile bathroom floor without her diaper on she will automatically begin to wet. I try to strategically place a wider rim plastic bowl so I can catch some urine and then test from there. So far we have had great luck with this method. I have at times put her hand under the faucet to feel the water if she does not seem to respond right away and that has seemed to help.

2. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

Have you tried the Precision Xtra monitor? You can test for blood ketones with this monitor the same way you test for blood sugar. You just use a different kind of test strip. Alot of people, even some doctors, don't even know about this monitor. We love it!

3. kitty

kitty Approved members

If you use cloth diapers, this makes getting a urine sample much easier. Because cloth diapers can be squeezed, you can collect the urine in a cup easier. This is better than using disposables, becuase if you squeeze a disposable, you get very little urine out of it. Plus, you wind up with the chemicals in the disposable's along with the urine, which can sometimes interfere with the ketone results. Fuzzi Bunz and Bumkins make good AIO cloth diapers for this.
    I recently tested both of my girls for ketones, just to make sure nothing was wrong with them. Since I use only cloth diapers, this made getting a sample much easier.

Another way to do this is to use a meter that tests for ketones like the Precision Xtra.

Jessie:cool:

4. hartpukas

hartpukas Approved members

I had no idea about the monitor - what an easy solution! The cloth diapers would make testing much easier as we do not use them although I know we should try them. :)

5. melissabeth

melissabeth Approved members

These are all such good ideas. We usually just try to press the strip in his disposable diaper, but I´ve never been convinced it was working entirely well. How often do you test for keytones? Do you wait until they have a day with all high numbers or do you do it more regularly? Colby's numbers are always all over the place, and there are usually some borderline lows mixed in with the highs so I don't worry too much about keytones. Maybe I should be more on top of it?
    Melissa
    Colby, 14months, diagnosed September 2005

6. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

One of the advantages to testing blood ketones is that the results are more accurate than urine ketones. From my understanding, ketones don't show show up in the urine until a few hours after they show up in the blood. My son who is now 5 (diagnosed at 9 months old) has been in the hospital a few times with the stomach flu (and ketones). His doctor would have us use our own Precision Xtra monitor to test him in the hospital because he said it was more accurate -- the urine lab tests would only show ketones from a few hours before and we would have to wait a while to get blood results from the lab. The disadvantage to the blood ketone testing is that the strips are very expensive. Fortuantely our insurance covers it -- I hope yours does too.

Though you are supposed to test for ketones any time blood sugar is over 250, we generally only test for ketones when Carson is sick, or if his blood sugar has been very high for a few hours. Now that he is on the pump, ketones can occur more quickly if a site goes bad (which rarely happens for him).

Good luck with your little ones -- I really feel for those having such young ones diagnosed with diabetes. I've been there myself and know how hard it is.

7. kitty

kitty Approved members

Because I have pre-diabetes, I'm always worried that my 2 girls could get diabetes someday, so I test for ketones 2 times a year, just to make sure everything is okay.
    After all, you never know if a super wet diaper or an increased thirst/appetite could signal diabetes, or just a stomach bug.

Cloth diapers make the ketone test so much easier!

8. selketine

selketine Approved members

We have the Precision xtra monitor (got it off ebay - it was a good deal and was new) about a year ago. Now that William is out of diapers I use the urine ketone strips a bit more often cause they are so much cheaper - especially if I am fairly sure he doesn't have ketones. (You can never be certain unless you test but I think you get used to what tends to give your child ketones. Very young kids often get highs!).

The Precision xtra has been very useful at night so I don't have to wake him to test ketones and at times when I'm more worried and want to get a quick and accurate reading. Our regular pedi has also had me use it to test him in her office because you get such a quick reading - when he was having significant asthma issues and was on steriod medications that were sending his glucose numbers well into the 400's for longer stretches than we'd like (but he never did run ketones thankfully).

Honestly since we've gotten the monitor he hasn't run any significant ketones! Maybe it is good luck too!;)

Carol

9. bbdebs

bbdebs Approved members

I made my 11 month old son sit in a washing up bowl at first to get a sample! I used to push it around making train noises. Now he's 13 months I slit open his nappy to test at the first high reading then I put 2 sheets of normal loo roll in his nappy to collect a sample.
    We've had high ketone readings on 2 separate occasions since he's been diagnosed. Both were when he was ill with a high temperature and cold. I only had the urine strips and the high ketones didn't build up slowly - suddenly they were there, they'd go away with extra insulin but would come back within a couple of hours at high levels.
    I've bought the medisense optimum xceed blood ketone meter after some other parents on the email lists recommended them. I've been advised by my doctor to use the urine ketone strips when he is well but the blood ones when he is ill as they are very expensive.
    The ketone reading you get from the urine strips is 4 hours behind the current blood ketone reading so you end up constantly chasing what has already happened with the urine ones.
    My son gets dehydrated very quickly with fevers (he's not a great drinker) and it gets harder and harder to get a urine sample out of very young children if they get dehydrated.
    I've not had to use the blood ketone meter yet but I'm glad I've got one to help with the next illness.

10. Mik's Mom

Mik's Mom Approved members

We too have the Precision Xtra blood ketone meter. We learned about it the hard way. On Dec. 21st, my daughter had a bad stomach virus, where she couldn't eat or drink anything and keep it down. Her blood sugar was low and she had large ketones.

I was suppose to recheck her ketones in an hour, and unfortunately as she was unable to keep anything down (not even Popsicles) she was unable to give us a urine sample. She ended up having to go to the ER and have IV therapy and they had to check her ketones with a blood sample.

It was there that I found out about the Precision meter. I called my endo the next day and I had the new meter in my hand that afternoon. The only down side is that the test strips are $50.00 for 8 strips! :confused: And the insurance company was giving me a hard time about covering it.

So my endo called the insurance company told them that she was in the hospital due to ketones and they did approve it. A prescription for 48 test strips would have cost me $300.00 but I was very fortunate to have the insurance cover most of it. And trust me I would have paid the full cost, as this is a great way to test for ketones when your child is sick, or unable to give a urine sample.

It is a wonderful meter.

11. kitty

kitty Approved members

If you ever get caught having to pay for the Precision Xtra ketone strips, www.diabeticpromotions.com and www.diabeticexpress.com sell the box of 8 for under $30.00.

I recently got a free Precision Xtra from the MediSense company and found this out yesterday afternoon when I was hunting for the ketone strips (the drug store where I live doesn't sell the ketone strips, just the glucose strips). I found out last Monday that my pre-diabetes turned into Type 2 diabetes and I had a really bad kidney infection at the same time, so the doctor told me to check my ketones whenever I felt sick or had a bad infection.

12. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

My son's ped endo wrote the prescription for the ketone strips and the insurance sent us a 3 months supply (seems more like a lifetime supply) - 8 boxes