- advertisement -

Ketone question

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Heather(CA), Jan 27, 2011.

1. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

Seth has only had more than trace or small ketones twice. Tonight his ketones went up to 2.0 on the meter. I'm wondering what came first, the chicken or the egg if you know what I mean?

While having ketones he...
    Had a BAD headache, really bad.
    Felt like he had a fever. (Had goose bumps) Seth is NEVER cold.
    Got sick once.

Once I got he ketones to .5

His head felt a lot better and the other symptoms went away..

How does your child feel with ketones?

2. SarahKelly

SarahKelly Approved members

Just as you stated - the one time Isaac's were above 0.9 he felt sick to his stomach, said his head hurt and was hot (no fever though). I'm glad Seth is okay, are his BG's alright?

3. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Abby's pump died overnight (of course, after the last check) and so she didn't get the bulk of her insulin. She had every symptom you listed. Once ketones cleared, she felt considerably better, once bg's came down to the 200's she was doing much better, once she got back in range, she was a new person.

4. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

The one time post diagnosis that my son had mod ketones he was not sick initially. He said his whole body ached, and he was concerned he was getting the flu. He was slurring his words too, a bit stumbly seeming.

5. Heather(CA)

Interesting, this is EXACTLY what happened to Seth. He went to school and is planning ongoing to his soccer game. He was 109 at 3am and woke up at 89:cwds:

6. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

When I have ketones I just want to go back to bed,I normally have a small head ache and my body aches(sp?)

7. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Ian feels nauseous and sometimes has a headache when he has ketones. The symptoms amplify or decrease as ketones go up or down.

8. MommaRetta

MommaRetta Approved members

How is he doing today?

Stephen usually has headaches when he has ketones. The higher the ketones and the worse the headache.

9. Heather(CA)

He felt much better as soon as the ketones went away and then even better once the bg came down. I just hope his cough doesn't turn into bronchitis:cwds: