- advertisement -

Ketone Meter Question..

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Caydens_Mommy, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Caydens_Mommy

Caydens_Mommy Approved members

We have used a ketone meter for the last 3 years at least but I have a question for those of you who use these..

What numbers do you use to determine whether they are considered, small, lmedium, large etc? I have always been a little confused by this.. Thanks in advance..

2. Brenda

Brenda Junior Member

Blood Ketone Reading Indications
    Above 1.5 mmol/l
    Readings above 1.5 mmol/l in the presence of hyperglycemia indicate that you may be at risk for developing diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA). Contact your healthcare provider immediately for advice.

0.6 to 1.5 mmol/l
    Readings between 0.6 and 1.5 mmol/l may indicate the development of a problem that may require medical assistance. Follow your healthcare provider's instructions.

Below 0.6 mmol/l
    Readings below 0.6 mmol/l are in the normal range.

Sources: Documentation from the Precision Xtra? and NovaMax? Plus

3. Caydens_Mommy

Caydens_Mommy Approved members

Thanks Brenda, I know this is the information contained in the book that came with the meter, I was just wondering if you were trying to tell someone about the ketones like say they are running 4.0 would you say large or how would you tell them.. I would definately say large but wasn't sure how correct this was..

Thanks again for your help!

4. Ndiggs

Ndiggs Approved members

4.0 would be considered very large. If I remember right you take the reading on the meter x18 to convert to mg/dl which is how the urine strips read. Been a while but I beleive that is correct, and I can double check when I get home as I am posting this on my phone. 1.6 or higher on the meter will usually read as large or very large for urine strips depending on the strip/brand.

5. Terry1972

Terry1972 New Member

Does your insurance cover your Ketone test stripes?

As I am having a problem with this
    Thanks
    Terry :eek:

6. Ndiggs

Ndiggs Approved members

Ok, I double checked now that I am home, and the number x18 is to convert GLUCOSE to mg/dl, I am not sure how accurate that is for beta ketones, I cannot find anything in abbots literature, and a call to abbot yielded the same x18 answer for both ketones and glucose, but by my math 4.0 is trace to low than, which it is not. Doing the math backwards it seems to be that if you move the decimal point one spot to the right, you correspond with the mg/dl reading on urine ketones, but that is far from accurate. Abbot did say that anything over 1.6 should show as moderate to large on a urine test strip though.