- advertisement -

Ketone checking question

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by kevin@diabetech.net, Mar 10, 2008.

?

The Ketones (which method do you use?)

1. Precision Xtra

69.2%
  2. Ketostix

41.0%
  3. Love that band and where are they now?

2.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. kevin@diabetech.net

kevin@diabetech.net Approved members

How many people use the:

1) Precision Xtra w/ ketone strips (and are you aware of the 3 different kinds of ketones or you just use it for convenience?)

2) Urine sticks (aka p-sticks)

3) I love that band and where are they now? For those of you who maybe had a tough Monday that was a joke ;) But essentially not too sure about ketones...

Thanks

2. Gaia

Gaia Approved members

We have the Keto-stix that the endo Rx'ed. Thankfully we've only had to use them for a 4 day period when Joey had strep and had no ketones everytime!! Im sure the first time he has ketones, I'll be like a new mom w/ baby's first sneeze lol.

In answer to #3.....Terry Jacks ("Seasons in the Sun") LOL...remember when...........:) (my monday's been a PITA -pain in the a$$ so I needed the smile thanks!!:)

3. kevin@diabetech.net

From an article by Richard M. Weil, M.Ed., C.D.E.
    Here's some excellent info on blood ketone testing that I posted once before here on the forum:

The Precision Xtra blood glucose meter can measure ketones in your blood with special strips that take a fingerstick blood sample, just like the procedure for blood glucose monitoring. The device has been carefully tested in studies and is very accurate. Blood testing for ketones is superior to urine testing because it measures beta-hydroxybutyric acid, the primary ketone that’s formed in diabetic ketoacidosis, while urine testing measures acetoacetic acid. Urine testing can lead to a false negative result (which means it might show negative ketones when in fact you do have ketones), and there is a time delay to diagnosis of ketosis with urine testing since it takes some time for ketones to get from the blood to the urine. Another possible advantage to blood ketone testing is convenience. In a recent study of teenagers with Type 1 diabetes, teens preferred and were more likely to test their blood for ketones than they were to test their urine.

Here’s what the results mean when testing blood for ketones:

* Greater than 3.0 millimoles per liter (mmol/liter) is a serious metabolic condition and emergency medical care is necessary.
    * 1.6–3.0 mmol/liter is a high level of ketones and means you are at risk for diabetic ketoacidosis. Your doctor or diabetes educator should be contacted immediately.
    * 0.6–1.5 mmol/liter is a moderate level of ketones and probably indicates fat metabolism and weight loss, but not a deficiency of insulin. You should speak with your doctor or diabetes educator about what to do when ketones are in this range.
    * Below 0.6 mmol/liter is a normal blood level of ketones.

4. miss_behave

miss_behave Approved members

I use the Precision Xtra with the ketone strips (though its called Optium Xceed in Aus, its exactly the same meter)
    I like that I can see what my ketones are like now, not several hours ago like with urine strips.

5. zeb'smom

zeb'smom Approved members

We use the precision xtra although I do keep ketostix in my bag so that if I feel the need to check when we aren't home I can. If we were going to be too far away from home to come home within an hour to check blood ketones then I would bring the meter with me.

6. MysticSisters

MysticSisters Approved members

I actually have a question about that meter. Our endo gave us one but we weren't given any glucose stips with it (not even a RX because he wants us to continue glucose testing on our normal meter) just the ketone strips. The guide that comes with it says we need to calibrate it. Can we do that with just the ketone testing strips? Am I confused and they are really the same strip? :confused:

7. AlisonKS

AlisonKS Approved members

we use precision xtra, kinda hard to get a 2 year old to pee on a strip:p

8. kevin@diabetech.net

They are different test strips!

9. MysticSisters

Do you think that if I take it to my pharmacy that they will calibrate it for me?

10. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

Each box of 10 strips comes with a calibration strip. So you buy a box of ketone strips and it has the calibrating strip in the box.

11. 4MyBoys

4MyBoys Approved members

No, there is a little hard plastic thing in the box of keytone strips that you put into the meter like a test strip and it automatically turns on and calibrates for you. Each box of strips has a calibration strip unique to that lot of strips. Now... if you somehow failed (like me, lol) and threw out the special strip, you can call the company and they will tell you to throw out the whole box of strips as they are worthless without the calibration strip, and they will send you a whole new box of strips. -Allison

12. Carly

Carly Approved members

I use the meter (optium exceed in Aust) and ketodiastix. My educator prefers that I use the meter though.

13. MysticSisters

I found the plastic thing...then realized...they ARE the glucose strips...lost of good that does us! Time for the pharmacy!

I am excited to start using it though. It will be nice to know what is going on in her body at that given moment.